FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Used library books

Author Topic: Used library books
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't had anything new to read in entirely too long. I finally got the bright idea to head over to the library and browse through the used book section, where you can buy old books for a steal.

I came home with the hardcover of Tad Williams' Sea of Silver Light (to complete my Otherland collection), an old hardcover of Asimov's first three Foundation books, a paperback Fifth Elephant (Pratchett), and the first and third books in Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster series (and now I have to find a copy of the second book, Heir of Sea and Fire). I got all of the above for a total of $2.75.

Man, I am so going back there in a few weeks.

[ June 10, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME!! I love cheap books. I just buy them up, and if they're bad I can just donate them to the "Friends of the Library "sale and feel like I've done a good deed.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey UofUlawguy, which bookstore was that?
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I meant Library. I have edited.

The Clark County, Nevada Library system rocks, by the way.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Your library has MUCH better used books for sale than mine does.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

And that library had the WORST selection for sale that I have seen here. It just happened to be the one that was most convenient at the time.

I've been to another where I had a stack of nine or ten classic SF books I wanted to get, but couldn't do it that day. There were at least one or two Card books, and all the rest were by the older masters of the genre.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I don't think my library even those on the shelves, much less for sale for cheap.

Not that I can ever go back to the library.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anastasia
Member # 8159

- posted      Profile for Anastasia   Email Anastasia         Edit/Delete Post 
Our library is extremely lucky to have a very dedicated and diverse readership so we get a lot of useful high-quality books donated to the Friends.

All of the books donated to our Friends of the Library are checked to see if they are suitable for circulation so that everyone can enjoy them.

We tend to get donations of *like* items. If we put out for sale a lot of fascinating titles and like-new books, people bring in more from home. The same side-effect is seen whenever someone puts out an old computer book or an old set of encyclopedias. Yuck. It is an extremely difficult concept for most of our volunteers to understand.

Our local library is extremely lucky, though. It is a collaborative effort between the county and the community college district, so it serves as both a public and an academic library. Therefore, we have an amazingly broad range of books in "the collection" (circulating books) and donated to the Friends.

We also have an "incentive" program for our volunteers in which they can earn free books in exchange for volunteer hours. So, not only do the volunteers get to see and choose books before they are put out for the public, but they get to take home some for free.

Darn it. Stop making me think about our local library. I'm like an addict. I'm trying to spend the ENTIRE day away from there.

It is really cool that you buy books from your local library Friends.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Used library books?

Sure, I've used library books.

C'mon, someone post a more interesting survey thread...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Well, different strokes. *I* think this is interesting, at least.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget books. My library has a Starbucks!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Why can't you go back to the library? Do they ban patrons instead of books at your branch? Or are you just stuck in the house?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love used library books
Once I got a hardcover of the Subtle Knife for just one dollar.
I love when you can fill bags with 25 cent books. But the last thing this house needs is more books.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it Kat that got charged for writing notes in the margins?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Never!

I just returned some books two months late. I don't want to pay my fine, so I can never return.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I buy books from the library too. If you wait long enough, they give them away for free.

I'm actually kind of disturbed when I find good books in the book sale. Shouldn't they be keeping those books on the shelf? If I buy "Heart of Darkness" or "The Odyssey" (two real purchases) doesn't that mean the library no longer has them available for the public?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Couldn't remembger who that was.

Actually, when you return books late, you are doing the library a favor, for two reasons:

1. The library counts on late fees for income.

2. The library counts on a certain percentage of books being on loan at any given time, so they can keep a larger number of books in circulation.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I browsed through the local used book sections in my local libraries again, and came away with More Than Human by Sturgeon, and three OSC books: Rebekah, Songmaster, and the Unaccompanied Sonata book of short stories. Total charge: $1.75.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Friends of the Maui Public Library runs a used bookstore in the middle of nowhere, behind the sugar mill. If you can find it, and get past the attack chickens and the dive-bombing mosquitoes, all of the books are sold for 10 cents.

I go several times a year, and buy 30 or 40 books at a time. Most I just donate back to the FoMPL, but I've kept a few.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
That's incredible UofU. I have to check my local library for any good used books. What kind of condition were they in? I know you probably bought it for reading but I have a slight OCD when it comes to the book on my shelf.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Man, I don't think my library even those on the shelves, much less for sale for cheap.

Yeah. *wince

Indiana blacklisted me for awhile, maybe still. What can I say? I don't like giving up ("back") books.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my hard-cover version of OSC's Wyrms at a library used-book sale. For 25 cents. And it has that original cover art we all love.... [Smile]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I once sorted out an assortment of books for my high school library (about 8 years ago). They let me keep about 10 books as my payment. They were older books more or less and some weren't even written in English. None-the-less, I was happy.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.