FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gay Advocates Fight Churches' Charity Status (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Gay Advocates Fight Churches' Charity Status
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I've never in a modern news story come across someone who killed their kids and made NO mention at all of god. I have come across maybe one or two in a few true-crime books, but I don't know if that's because the author didn't think to mention those quotes or because they really didn't mention god.

But it seems to me that an atheist no matter how mentally ill is less likely to kill because they don't believe that their child will have another chance in a better place. Also a mentally ill atheist is more likely to attribute voices to mental illness rather than to god, though some atheists may attribute it to aliens instead.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
dean:"Honestly, I've never in a modern news story come across someone who killed their kids and made NO mention at all of god."

Then you have never paid attention. Kids are killed by parents ALL THE TIME, and the stories you cited are about the only ones I have EVER heard of that mention God.

dean:"But it seems to me that an atheist no matter how mentally ill is less likely to kill because they don't believe that their child will have another chance in a better place."

Sure, an atheist may be less likely to kill their children for that reason, but they may be even more likely to kill their children for any number of other reasons, such as jealousy, anger, money, drugs, revenge, etc.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

Are you saying that non-religious people are more likely to be jealous, angry, money-hungry, drug-addicted, and vengeful than religious people?

Why don't you cite some parents-kill-kids stories where there is no aspect of the religious yourself then, UU? If I have to come up with citations, you might as well yourself. And please, while your at it, see if you can't find an atheist who said that they killed their kids because of their atheism, okay? I'd be interested to see that.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The number of people who kill without reference to God is not relevant. The question is, are Christians over-represented among child-killers? (And to be fair, comrade dean's quotes do not prove such a thing.) However, I think it is reasonably clear that nobody has ever killed their children and given "I'm an atheist following the IPU's will" as their excuse.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that to prove your point, you have to show, not that religious people use religious justifications when they do abominable things (I mean DUH), but that religion causes religious people to do abominable things more often than atheists do them.

As far as I know, NAMBLA isn't a religious organization, but it is far more adamant about promoting and defending child molestation than the Catholic Church is even accused of being.

The excuse about Stalin being "made violent" when he was "molested by priests" is a really huge stretch. There is a difference between personal problems leading to an individual's violent outbursts, and institutional genocide involving an entire (atheist) organization of murderers.

Sure, there are enough religious people in the world that any type of horrendous act can eventually be connected to one. I mean, that's easy. Doesn't even begin to prove the idea that religion is the cause of the violence. In the Stalin case, you would need to prove that Catholicism turned some priest into a child molestor, and that the molestation by that priest caused the genocides under Stalin's government. I don't think there is any way to even pretend to do either.

Do you believe that if suddenly, in an instant, everyone abandoned their faiths, violence in the world would be even slightly diminished? I personally doubt it. A LOT.

By the way, how do we figure in "inactive" religious people? Folks who belong to a religion in name, but essentially live as atheists? Is their religion responsible for their bad behavior? What if they choose to use their religion as an excuse after the fact? Would you believe them? Why?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that, at the very least, you wouldn't get any more suicide bombers.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Were the Kamikaze pilots doing it for the same reasons as the suicide bombers in Israel? I get the impression that the Japanese pilots' willingness to sacrifice their lives was far more about nationalism, pride, culture, and desperation than it was about their emperor's nominal status as a "god".
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Come to think of it, what were Vietnamese suicide bombers doing it for? Weren't there cases of North Vietnamese sympathizers approaching American soldiers in public places and handing them a grenade?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
dean:"Are you saying that non-religious people are more likely to be jealous, angry, money-hungry, drug-addicted, and vengeful than religious people?"

Of course not. It would be crass and boorish to generalize about about an entire group based on their belief or lack thereof like that.

dean:"Why don't you cite some parents-kill-kids stories where there is no aspect of the religious yourself then, UU?"

Just in the past few months there have been prominent stories about this. There was Jerry Hobbs, who stabbed his daughter and her friend to death because the daughter wouldn't come home when he told her to. There was Precious Doe, whose mother and mother's boyfriend have been charged with murder. She was killed just because she lived with abusive people. This happens a lot, and it has nothing to do with religious belief.

dean:"see if you can't find an atheist who said that they killed their kids because of their atheism, okay?"

Of course such a thing would be ridiculous. But I bet there are lots of people who ended up killing their children whose lives would have turned out very differently if they had religious convictions which taught them to avoid such things.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Kamikaze is japanese for "divine wind."

The concept is based on the nationalistic Shinto religion.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

How smoothly he turns from "Of course atheists don't kill for their beliefs" to "But I bet we could make these misguided souls feel better with our soul-scrubbing." It doesn't occur to you that most murderers are poor, and most poor people (in the US at least) are religious?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

King:"The number of people who kill without reference to God is not relevant."

I think it is, though not in isolation. I think that if child-killing is relatively common, and yet the numbers of child-killers who mention a religious motivation is small, it matters a lot.

King:"The question is, are Christians over-represented among child-killers?"

That would be an interesting question, but I don't think it's the question at hand. I think the proper question is, "Are people who kill their children because of religious motivations unusually common as opposed to people who kill their children for other reasons?" I think that they are not.

Sometimes people kill because they are nuts. People who are nuts manifest their nuttiness in different ways -- religious people's nuttiness might reasonably be expected to reflect their religious faith, just as non-religious people's nuttiness might reasonably be expected not to reflect religion at all. I don't see that the nut who is religious is more likely to kill than the nut who is not. The religious belief isn't the cause for the behavior, it's the nuttiness.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

King:"It doesn't occur to you that most murderers are poor, and most poor people (in the US at least) are religious?"

Poverty makes people desperate, and desperate people are more likely to kill.

Desperate people might also be more likely to feel the need of spiritual aid (as it is one kind of aid that they actually have access to).

I think that the second response to poverty is more positive, and that if more desperate people turned to religion there would be fewer desperate killers.

Rich people (in the absence of mental/emotional illness)are less likely to feel the kind of desperation that drives one either to violent acts or to spiritual solace.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...not that the secular governments of the day were much better. Incidentally, handicapped are one thing, but how about homosexuals? How secular was that?
Your first part is my point exactly. Your second part...do you really think it's religion that leads to homophobic bigotry? Religion exclusively?

As for what you know and don't know...you're regularly insulting, misrepresentative, and fanatical concerning religion and atheism. I am not.

-------

quote:
Well, how often do atheists kill their children? How often do you hear an atheist say, "I killed my kids so they would be with Jesus? I know they're happier now, and we'll be together in the next life?" I never have heard one say anything like that, but I can think of maybe ten or twelve religious American parents who've killed their kids, and probably eight or so of them said that their kids are better off dead with Jesus or whatnot.
How many atheist people are there as a percentage of the population? How many studies have there been of your claim? How many serial killers weren't religious at all?

quote:
Hitler was always a Catholic in good standing while the Catholic church threatens to excommunicate people for voting a pro-choice agenda. Don't you think that if they really felt that what Hitler did was wrong, they'd have said so at some point?
Assuming even one of your claims is true-and I don't-that you take them as an indictment of religion as a whole says much more about you than Catholocism OR religion.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How many atheist people are there as a percentage of the population?
Depending on how the poll is done, between 2% and 15%. About 2% generally self identify as atheists, but roughly 15% will answer that they generally don't believe in God.

The following letter is often quoted by atheists as indicating that atheists are underrepresented among the prison population in the U.S.

Note, these figures are probably represent self identification, so the 2% is the better number to use to compare with this particular set of figures.

quote:

The Federal Bureau of Prisons does have statistics on religious affiliations of inmates. The following are total number of inmates per religion category:
Response Number % ---------------------------- --------
Catholic 29267 39.164%
Protestant 26162 35.008%
Muslim 5435 7.273%
American Indian 2408 3.222%
Nation 1734 2.320%
Rasta 1485 1.987%
Jewish 1325 1.773%
Church of Christ 1303 1.744%
Pentecostal 1093 1.463%
Moorish 1066 1.426%
Buddhist 882 1.180%
Jehovah Witness 665 0.890%
Adventist 621 0.831%
Orthodox 375 0.502%
Mormon 298 0.399%
Scientology 190 0.254%
Atheist 156 0.209%
Hindu 119 0.159%
Santeria 117 0.157%
Sikh 14 0.019%
Bahai 9 0.012%
Krishna 7 0.009% ---------------------------- --------
Total Known Responses 74731 100.001% (rounding to 3 digits does this)

Unknown/No Answer 18381 ---------------------------- Total Convicted 93112 80.259% (74731) prisoners' religion is known.

Held in Custody 3856 (not surveyed due to temporary custody) ---------------------------- Total In Prisons 96968

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,
Denise Golumbaski
Research Analyst Federal Bureau of Prisons

Sorry for the mush, I tried to get the numbers to line up in columns, but it just didn't want to do it.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, obviously the religious types aren't True Christians (tm).
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Poor baby, did I point out your logical fallacy before you could use it? Go on, tell me you don't believe those people had real faith when they committed their crime. You know it'll make you feel better.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
When have Christians ever claimed we don't do bad things? We just claim to be forgiven.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Poor baby, did I point out your logical fallacy before you could use it? Go on, tell me you don't believe those people had real faith when they committed their crime. You know it'll make you feel better.
Golly, could you possibly be a more smug, self-impressed jackass, King of Men? You're a walking, talking bloody fanatic. When people say things like, "It's the people on the far-right and far-left that stop things from getting done," they're talking about you, and the funny thing is you're so busy congratulating yourself on how smart you are and how stupid and brainwashed most other people are, you don't even get it.

As for your stupid, insulting, and bigoted remark, no, obviously those people were not truly good examples of their religions when they committed their crimes. Since, y'know, there are Commandments and similar Scriptures prohibiting crime. By definition, those people were not acting in accordance with their faith when they committed their crime.

It's not a fallacy, as much as you would like to smugly implicate otherwise.

---------

As for the statistics you posted, Glenn...they're interesting, but they don't tell a full story in and of themselves. For one thing, they don't tell you what the numbers may have been when the crime was actually committed, not what they are while it is being punished.

A small percentage of crimes are reported, and a small percentage of those are successfully prosecuted. This is a chance for King of Men to very pompously state that atheists are smarter than their idiot religious cousins.

Finally, I believe that prison by its nature might make a person more likely to self-identify as religious or to convert. 'No atheists in foxholes', as the saying goes. I realize these aren't statistical objections, but I stick by them.

[ June 15, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
What an outpouring of hate this thread has become. Consider, before you add to it, whether that's what you want to give to the world.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I guess I love a nice, tall, frosty glass of hatorade.
King of Men
Member # 6684

I rather strongly suspect there's no scripture prohibiting trafficking in drugs, actually. But apart from that, clearly the atheists aren't particularly poster children for their faith, either. That's not the point. The question is, which faith has more poster children, per unit adherent?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>The question is, which faith has more poster children, per unit adherent?

More significantly, what part did the adherent's faith play in the commission of the crime?

I'm not particularly interested in numbers-- I am interested in seeing the ties between belief systems and action.

EDIT: OOPS. Misunderstood KoM's question. In any case, how're you gonna judge who's a poster boy?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, how about a simple definition of "doesn't go to prison"? Not necessarily a final choice, but a place to start.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, the profanity isn't necessary, and it does nothing to help your argument. Please delete.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

While there's the occasional insult in his post, I see no profanity. What were you objecting to?
Scott R
Member # 567

>>Well, how about a simple definition of "doesn't go to prison"?

I'm afraid that the religious have you beat there, KoM. There are definitely more religious people NOT in prison than there are athiests NOT in prison.

Do you agree?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I object to where he uses my creator's title as a form of profanity. And no, it's not a word I'm going to quote.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:

Finally, I believe that prison by its nature might make a person more likely to self-identify as religious or to convert. 'No atheists in foxholes', as the saying goes. I realize these aren't statistical objections, but I stick by them.

This is why I specified that you should use the 2% figure rather than some figure closer to the 15%. Those other 13% are the ones who tend to waffle under such situations.

I will also say that the "no atheists in foxholes" quote doesn't come from an atheist, but from a Christian General in WWII (I'd have to look up his name). Atheists find this characterization insulting, as though we could change our belief for some sort of convenience.

At the Godless Americans March On Washington, several hundred atheist veterans and servicemen took the stage to protest that slogan, and the practice of marking dogtags: "No Preference" if a service member replies that they are an atheist when asked for their religion.

There are also more than a few stories of atheists quite literally in a foxhole, who got mad at people cowering in the corner praying, told them to pick up a damn gun and do something productive, like shooting their way out of there.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Glenn,

Of course I don't take that as an absolute. I also don't think the saying implies that atheists would change based on convenience-sudden, gruesome death facing one inches away has a way of creating shock and reactions that otherwise would not happen.

I think prison could have a similar reaction.

----

The issue has been taken out of my hands, quid. I'm sorry you were offended.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

"gruesome death facing one inches away has a way of creating shock and reactions that otherwise would not happen."

I know of quite a few atheists that argue that this kind of situation convinced them that a loving God could not exist.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, I had assumed that once you saw the comment, you would have changed your wording simply out of consideration for another Hatracker, because this is the type of person I've come to know you to be. I just didn't know when you'd be back around, so I did it for you. If you don't like my choice of interjection, you're free to change it. *smile*

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer "Gee willikers!" myself.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
[QUOTE] I will also say that the "no atheists in foxholes" quote doesn't come from an atheist, but from a Christian General in WWII (I'd have to look up his name).

Marshall Foche
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have inserted "My stars", of course. Seriously - it's fun to say. Try it! If you emphasize the last word, it sounds satisfyingly like swearing.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And if it's insufficient, there's always "Oh my stars and garters!"
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

LoL, you're more charitable than I deserve there, Pop. I was irritated that you'd edited my post initially, even though in the vast amount of time since then-like four minutes-I realize I was out of line in the initial use on the `Rack of that profanity, and my reaction was unfair. I implied a bit of that reaction in my post.

I guess that's because I apply different rules to that particular blasphemy when I'm especially irritated. Something I need to work on. Sorry, Quid and Pop, minus the irritation this time. My bad.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Rivka's a Beast fan. Who knew?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

>>I guess that's because I apply different rules to that particular blasphemy when I'm especially irritated.

[Eek!]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Rivka's a Beast fan. Who knew?

Not I. A what fan?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The Beast is one of the original X-Men, and "Oh my stars and garters!" is one of his catch phrases.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

That's my way of saying that when I get irritated, I tend to use the word that was edited, Scott.
Scott R
Member # 567

The Beast

He's really not that evil. He's a scientist and a genius, and gentle, and lovable. . .

Much like, hey! Rivka! [Smile]

Here's a better, more in character pic

dean
Member # 167

The bit about atheists in foxholes: To my understanding it can mean two things.

1) If a person says they're an atheist and they face and situation in which they might die or otherwise be mutilated, they will conveniently change their tune, and become religious.

2) An atheist would do anything to avoid putting themselves in a dangerous situation (nobly and for others), therefore, you never find them in a foxhole.

These are (honestly) the only two I can think of. Is there some other meaning it could have that I'm just overlooking, or is it just an insulting statement based on nothing that no one should quote in the future?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Is there some other meaning it could have that I'm just overlooking, or is it just an insulting statement based on nothing that no one should quote in the future?
Nope. You don't get to post what you've posted in this thread and then complain about people using that statement, not if you don't want people to fall over in amazement at your audacity.

Glenn can say it with credibility. TomDavidson can say it, despite momentary lapses (of which there haven't been any for a while).

But if you can say atheists are less likely to kill their kids than religious people, you have no moral standing to complain about the "no atheists in foxholes" comment.

Dagonee

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

It's strange that your understanding includes only those two things, Dean, especially since I gave another explanation entirely. I will repeat it:

Wars are extremely stressful things, and sometimes trauma can be so terrifying and severe that people go into shock due to extreme fright and latch onto anything they can, some hope. This could be something that in normal, rational circumstances is completely outside their normal behavior, and nothing they would soberly choose for themselves.

People reject God and embrace God in war, based on their unique and terrible experiences.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I know of quite a few atheists that argue that this kind of situation convinced them that a loving God could not exist.
And I'm sure there are people who became atheists because of such an experience. Just as I'm sure there are people who converted while in a foxhole and confirmed that conversion afterwards.

The problem is with the word "no," not with the idea that some atheists might convert under such circumstances.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's in the Book of Mormon, that it can go both ways.
quote:
Alma 62:41
But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Thanks Papa and Rakeesh. Yeah, "My stars and garters" would have won the day for me. [ROFL] *wipes tears* That's my favorite suggestions, hands down.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.