FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Racism or Rude Jerks?

Author Topic: Racism or Rude Jerks?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So I went to the movies today, twice actually. I went with my dad and grandpa to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith again because they both wanted to see it (my dad loved it, my grandpa didn't understand it).

The second movie I saw was at the cheap movies. There's a movie theater in a sorta bad area that only charges a dollar for older movies that have been out for awhile. My best friend and I went to see King's Ransom.

About the time the movie started some people behind us started throwing popcorn at us. Now, had it been at Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I would have immediately turned around and said something. But this was a different neighborhood, with different rules. And in this neighborhood, two white people in a theater full of black people keep their mouths shut when being harrassed.

So we went through the movie, getting more and more mad, but refusing to leave, or to move. At the end, my friend turned around and said something to them, I don't remember what. Then we walked out, right passed them, and they said something to the effect of "Damn, and they white too."

So no that it matters, but what do you think, black kids from a bad neighborhood picking on white kids from a better neighborhood? Or rude jackasses just being rude jackasses?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Throwing popcorn is 2nd only in poor-form to actually purchasing it.

That being said, the more thrown, and the less eaten, the better.

kernel alluvion

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

*gags on a kernel*
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Both?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Actually I misspoke, they started by throwing it, later in the film they graduated to spitting it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yuck. I hope it was worth the price discount to see it there!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Maybe if it were a better movie it would have been. As such, I don't recommend King's Ransom.
alluvion
Member # 7462

*taps foot*
Hobbes
Member # 433

*Heimlichs Alluvion*

Hobbes [Smile]

alluvion
Member # 7462

*bok-choy!!!*

thanks, hobbes.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely both. Which was the more important factor to them in deciding to act that way towards you-economic or racial-I dunno.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Jerks, anyway you slice it.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Both. Jerks, and racism. I'm sorry you had to experience it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh......the splendor of th movies
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree - it was both.

They were jerks and I'm sorry you went through it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a similar experience. When I went to see Coach Carter, my cousin and I were the only white people there. We got there early and there were a bunch of black kids in the back who starting throwing pennies and cigarrete butts at us. The worst part was I almost got high just from sitting there, they were smoking so much.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
What jerks! I'd say say racist too.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it's kids being kids, not racist, yes a little rude. Get over it.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"Get over it."

I wasn't planning on calling the five o'clock news to start an uproar over it, I am pretty much over it, just curious as to what people outside my point of view think about it.

Sorry, I should clarify something else that my friend reminded me of today when we were talking about it. These weren't young kids, they were at least my age (21) if not older.

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Under 30, still kids.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I was a kid, and I never spit popcorn or anything else at other people at all, movie theater or otherwise.

Whether or not you were a rude little prick as a child has nothing to do with other children [Smile] .

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, and also: do you think they spit on other people, black people from their neighborhood, when they see them in the movies? I somehow doubt it. Which contradicts your viewpoint.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Shepherd, that was rude. Are you a kid?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
This is surprising. Though I shouldn't say anything since I did once throw a candy box at a lady in a theater. She had been making inane comments throughout the film and then when the film reached its emotional climax she had to say she was going to vomit if what was about to happen happened. Mainly, I think, to illustrate how smart she was to know what was about to happen. I wish she was here right now so I could do it again.

I think that unless the black people want to be oppressed forever, they have to own up to parallel behavior being racist. Black people obviously are still oppressed. But I don't think treating the majority with scorn makes the oppression worthwhile. But maybe that's Asian talk, and why many of the blacks I grew up around disliked me worse than they did whites. I don't like the "model minority" concept, I'm not trying to promote it. I'm just mentioning that it exists and wondering how I am being influenced by it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, everyone knows only white people can be racist.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Under 30, still kids.
I'm under 30. And I'm definitely NOT a kid.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I hope to remain a child well into my old age.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time when somebody declares that they are an adult they are really showing how much they aren't.

There are exceptions, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Does that mean when you declare you are a young adult or kid you are really an adult before your time?
alluvion
Member # 7462

Young or old, does it matter? Somebody's gonna lose an eye!

I say this only because I lost one, once (not really).

It's a sad story... *choke* *sniff*

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Robert Bennett (R-UT)
Thad Cochran (R-MS)
Kent Conrad (D-ND)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Michael Crapo (R-ID)
Michael Enzi (R-WY)
Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Judd Gregg (R-NH)
Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Trent Lott (R-MS)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Richard Shelby (R-AL)
John Sununu (R-NH)
Craig Thomas (R-WY)
George Voinovich (R-OH)

Need we say more?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, would you mind sharing the name of the theater chain you saw this at?

Loews? Cinemark? AMC?

(Not sure what they have in Michigan, but I am rather curious -- thanks)

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Under 30, still kids.
What an ignorant, condescending, simple-minded statement.

I'm only 28, but I'd wager that I've lived through more experiences than most people twice my age, and I certainly have the right to claim the mantle of adulthood if I choose to.

However, if being an adult means that I have to demean other people’s thoughts and ideas because they haven’t lived to some arbitrary age...well… then no thanks…I think I’ll pass.
[Taunt]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Cinemark.

But technically it's still an AMC theater, just not under the AMC name.

Edit to add: Most of the theaters around me though are Star Theaters, owned by Loews. Other than the Star theaters, and the cheap Cinemark theater which is in a mall, the only other theater around me is the Palladium, owned by Uptown Entertainment.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.