FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interior decorating challenge . . . calling all mavens!

Author Topic: Interior decorating challenge . . . calling all mavens!
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy and I are having the hardest time finding living room furniture. We're both picky, so we usually end up going in and out of stores without even considering anything.

What's more, we don't know what we're doing. And the Internet doesn't seem like a good way to look, since many stores don't put a significant portion of their inventory online. Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I feel like a wanna-be interior designer without any know-how despite the college course I took five years ago.

So here's the challenge, if you choose to accept it: help us find living room furniture that we like and that will fit our lifestyle. [Smile]

We don't like:
  • leather
  • microfiber (faux suede)
  • floral print
  • most plaid
  • tan fabrics (since our carpet will be tan and our walls off-white in our new apartment)
  • sofas where the whole back is loose pillows, as opposed to real sofa cushions
  • anything too modern-looking (read: funky)

We do like:
  • Clean, classic lines
  • dark woods
  • camel backs
  • green--we keep coming back to it, but I'm also open to non-green sofas
  • comfort

I'm looking for something that will be pretty but not necessarily trendy now and that will be pretty but not necessarily trendy in 15-20 years.

Also, any advice about buying furniture? How can you tell what's good and what's not? Any stores/brands to steer clear of altogether?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
No idea.
[Smile]

I like IKEA for general ease and cost factors - but there is some real dross in there also. Plus, the whole self-assemble thing can get boring.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I guess also, what do you want?

Couches? Coffee tables? Rugs? Bookcases? Reading chairs? Lamps?

What will you use the living room for? Everyday, everything or is it more formal?

At the moment Tony and I are living *very* open plan and our living room is a music room, tv room, guest entertaining place and reading room rolled into one.

We have a piano, a couch, a coffee table, a lamp, the tv and a comfy chair that the dog has appropriated.

<--- Minimalist. Or broke, either way. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of nice choices here.

Which style do you like? Most can be made in several different fabrics, so you could find a style/fabric combination you like and order a nice sofa.

Personally, I like this one, but would like it more in a soft fabric.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

I like this one, but perhaps in a different fabric.

The wood is nice though.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you really looking for something to last you for the long haul? I guess you are or you wouldn't be posting this.

<--- has been married a very long time, has never bought a new couch.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
you can try Here ... it appears that they break everything down for ease of searching.

or maybe Here ... they look to be promising as well, as long as you are in their delivery area.

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I second IKEA.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
First off: we're looking for a couch and probably a chair to go with it. Our living room will be the hang-out room, the TV room, and our having-people-over-room, so it won't be too formal.

IKEA's out. They don't have any stores around here, and I don't want to buy something without seeing it in person first (and I don't like any of the half-dozen or so couches on their site, anyway).

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
One things for sure, a sectional with reclining sections is sure to make you look like white trash.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Oooh! And cup holders too!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

And one of those little cubbyholes to stash all the remotes in! YES!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm dying to have one of THESE whenever I remodel my living room.

It has clean lines, dark wood -- but probably not what you have in mind.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Ever heard of Stickley? Very, very nice. (My wife loves it.)

http://www.stickley.com/

I Personally like the Mission style...
http://www.stickley.com/gallery/index.html

Take a look at the PDF for thier catalog.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm trying to figure out how a Victorian couch has clean lines, exactly. I mean, it is the very antithesis of clean lines. Any more carvings and it might as well be Baroque.

To use another medium as an illustration...

Clean lines
Not clean lines

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like Stickley, but it doesn't look like they do sofas. Am I just not seeing them?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stickley stuff is awesome. But of course I am a fan of the wood. I would definitely say they have some clean lines. I would have to agree on the Victorian couch. Not clean lines. I am sure its not cheap, but it would probably last forever.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay - so I don't know my terminology well, PC!

By "clean lines" -- I meant that it had a very definate shape - wooden edges -- not that soft, puffy stuff that changes all shapes when you sit on it.

See-- art was my WORST subject in school because I didn't understand any of it (not that it was really taught very well, either).

FG
(by the way - thanks for explaining it to me using classic cars -- now that is something I can relate to and understand!)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What, exactly, is "white trash" about a sectional with reclining sections?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an idea...unsightly decor! Apparently it's in. [Wink]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Dag: If you have to ask, then you'll never know. [Razz]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
I do like Stickley, but it doesn't look like they do sofas. Am I just not seeing them?
Brinestone -- Stickley does have a sofa. (sort of -- it's called a settee) It is shown on their video tour, and also if you download their pdf file of mission furniture, it is on page 14

FG

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

They have a lot more if you look under Stickley Fine Upholstery.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

oh man! I LOVE the one on page 9 of the Upholstered catalog! (of course, not in that color). Man - I like that even better than the Victorian stuff I've always liked to this point!

But I'll bet Stickley is really high price -- after watching their video on how much care goes into building each piece...

FG

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Farmgirl,

Here, this is even closer to what your dream couch looks like to me. [Razz]

You know, just to rub it in. [Big Grin]

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to a furniture store that carries several brand names, just ask one of the salespeople. All the furniture they can get is not on the floor. If they know what they're doing, they'll be able to pull out their catalogs and show you pieces that match your criteria.

Either that or plan a trip to Hickory, North Carolina.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That is really, really sweet, PC! [Smile]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I'm finding myself strangely drawn to the one on page 41 of the Stickley catalog. Not green, not camel-backed, but oh so pretty.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What is it about North Carolina and furniture? My dad bought the entertainment set there, and it's GORGEOUS.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

North Carolina?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like sectionals with reclining sections, and even with hide-a-beds. I don't care about the compartments for stashing remotes.

I hereby declare such things cool and stylish. You will all hereafter desire to own them, and curse your poor judgment if you have already bought something else.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Sectionals are good for movie rooms or places where you don't really care so much about how something looks as you do how much seating you can possibly squeeze into one space. I mean, really, I've only seen maybe one or two designs that were in any way approaching attractive, and even they were ultimately tacky.

The standard sofa, (maybe) loveseat, and chair allow for more things to be put into a room. More lamps and tables and curio cabinets or artwork or whatever fit in the room. The sectional just friggin' takes over.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Lamps, tables, curio cabinets and artwork make a room nicer to look at, but much less comfortable to actually live in. Especially if you want young children to be able to enjoy the room as well.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I disagree. If you think that lamps and artwork make a room much less comfortable to be in, then you've got serious aesthetic issues.

Of course, you like sectionals, so that goes without saying. [Razz]

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I don't have aesthetic issues. I have aversion-to-breaking-things issues.

When I am in a room full of art, curios, and other stuff that is strictly "for show", I feel constrained. I cannot do things in that room that I like to do, such as playing boisterous games with my children. In fact, I feel like I can't let my children spend much time in such a room at all. Heck, even without children, I feel like I'm about to knock something over and shatter it every time I turn around.

I don't want to spend all my time yelling "Watch out! Don't throw that in here! Stay in the other room! Put that down!" I also don't want to buy a bunch of nice stuff that will look like it has been through a bombing attack one year from now. I'll decorate the living room in more aesthetically pleasing way when my kids move out.

Oh wait! What about grandkids?

Guess it'll be sectionals and/or beanbags for me forever.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Sectionals allow two recliners to be next to each other with no intervening arms.

Brings snuggling while watching a movie to a whole new level.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Another great point!
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the major furniture manufacturers are based in North Carolina and a lot of them are in and around Hickory. Here's the big furniture mall. It's a mall full of full-size furniture stores. It is ENORMOUS!

We've ordered furniture a few times direct from Hickory dealers because it was cheaper to get it from them and have it shipped than to buy it from the store.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I like those big wide armchairs with the ottomans. You can sit in a pair and spoon, or you can take up the whole chair and feel powerful.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

And if you wear a shirt with floppy sleeves, you can gesture grandly while you order people about.

"Bring me the short one. He amuses me."

Edit: Obviously, that makes more sense if you're doing the "take up the whole chair and feel powerful" thing.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
And I just thought you liked spooning with short people. [Razz]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ikea = you could always come visit us Chicago types... we have one in Schaumburg that's been open several years and a new one about to open in Bolingbrook (which is really nice and close to me now!)

I've been working on replacing my early garage sale decor with pieces from Ikea over the past year. My living room is finally starting to come together fairly nicely.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend that's a salesperson at Furniture Land South. You can literally get lost in this place. It's crazy!

Yup! You can definitely get some good deals on furniture in North Carolina.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

We finally bought something. It's not camel-backed, and it doesn't have dark wood, but it is green, and it does have clean lines. We pick it up on our way to our new apartment on Saturday. Woo hoo!
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
sooooo... where is a picture of it?
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.