FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Road Trip Across the Country to NY, from OR

Author Topic: Road Trip Across the Country to NY, from OR
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
College just got out here at SOU.. so.. i'm not going home.. i'm going straight to NY..

I'm lacking about 80 bucks to take the greyhound there and back, so i'm only taking it back-

So, question is.. Is there anyone in NYC or in one of the big cities who'd be willing to put me up for a night or two?
Anyone willing to throw me some cash so I don't hitchhike the whole way there?(Not likely, but it doesn't hurt to ask)

Anyone want to join me on my way?
It looks like i'll be passing through northern Nevada, northern Utah, Nebraska, southern Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, northern Illinois, northern Indiana, northern Ohio, and northern Pensylvania

and any advice?
besides 'don't hitchhike' - I'm going, and nothing is stopping me, not money and not fear.

-Judas
(Jack Montague)

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judas
Member # 7355

- posted      Profile for Judas   Email Judas         Edit/Delete Post 
ANother quick question, I just made a sign that says 'NY or bust" .... what does 'or bust' mean??

-Judas

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I gather "bust" means when something bad happens from hitchhiking.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Sooooo, if you have enough money for the trip one way, why not make it the way out, and then try to earn the extra $80 while you're out there?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you go give plasma and make a quick $40? Then you will be halfway to the $80 you need.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ANother quick question, I just made a sign that says 'NY or bust" .... what does 'or bust' mean??
Seems to be as in, "broke, poor."

"I'll get to NY or go broke trying."

Either that or, "I'll get to NY or at least as long as the money holds out." Particularly apropos, here.

This is conjecture on my part. I can't find any scholarly discussion or history of this particular usage online or offline. The best I can say is that it makes the most sense of the definitions delineated in all sources. And I own a lot of sources.

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.