FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've Had Enough (Was Experience)

Author Topic: I've Had Enough (Was Experience)
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do jobs insist that you have 2-5 years worth of experience? Anyone with that kind of experience would already have a job!
How the heck can a person get that kind of experience without getting a job?
There needs to be some sort of company that takes people straight from college and trains them as they go along, pays them well and gives them benefits so they never want to leave.
Also, if you are putting temporary experience on an application do you give the number of the place you worked at, or the number of the temp company?

[ June 20, 2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
And while we're on the subject, there ought to be a company that pays me a six-figure salary.

[Wink]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, if you are putting temporary experience on an application do you give the number of the place you worked at, or the number of the temp company?
I think you want both - the temp agency will confirm the salary, dates of hire, etc., and the other will say nice things about the work you do. That is if you've worked at a single location long enough to form a rapport with someone - someone you think will give a good reference. If not, just the temp agency.

It's customary to tell people if you think they'll be called. If you don't want propsective employers to call, then you need to put that on the resume.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
On the temp company, I'd say the number of the temp company. Unless it was a really long term assignment.

As for the experience... it depends on the sort of job you are looking for. Is the military or peace corp something you could consider? Or am I recalling that you were already in Americorps?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was. I don't think I am military material. But, if I can find someone to take care of my rabbit for a year, Peace corps would not be so bad. Two of my friends were in it.
But, what I really want is a permanant job right here at home making decent money to support myself.
Perhaps I need connections or something...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Synth, those jobs just don't fall off of trees.

You need to either get a degree
or
work enough dead end jobs long enough to show that you can hold a job
or
work with a temp agency and work hard enough when you find a good one to be hired on full time.

There just aren't many companies out there wanting to give someone a $40K+/year salary to someone with limited work experience and skills.

And sometimes the most important job skill that you can show is that you can hang onto a job. Sometimes that just means keeping a job even though it is bad.

Edit to add: The only way to success really is hard work. Even at the most rinky dink jobs, hard work does lead to better things down the road. Maybe not with that company, but maybe you'll impress a customer. It all comes down to hard work. A positive attitude in even the most menial of jobs helps, too.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
True, who you know makes a big difference. Play on that. Who do you know that knows the types or specific companies you want to work with? Get them networking!!

As for experience, sometimes a company doing business with another organization (contractor) has to fill positions based on the education and/or experience that is set in stone by the other company (especially true in government work). They may not have a choice.

Some companies just don't want a rookie that they have to watch over or pay for training. So, it is incumbent on you to defray that concern. How do you do that?

What have you done in your choosen career field? Any associated volunteer work? Nothing says the expierience has to be paid work.

Also, is there collateral experience? That is experience that can be applied to your job--leadership, program management, baby sitting [Big Grin] )

Finally, list in your resume all the training you've had and what equipment/technology you have experience on. They may want an engineer with 5 yrs experience, but they might take one who is just out of college but is a network genius.

Real bottom line is to understand their requirement (what are they really looking for) and fill it.

Oh--one, one more thing--You might offer to get additional training/education on your time while you are on the payroll.

Good luck--there is a company out there that will take you!

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to ask--what do you do and what type of a job are you looking for?
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the exact problem I ran into with my job search. Every software company who was hiring Java programmers wanted at least 3 years experience with J2EE development. I mean every single one of them. I didn't know it at all.

I applied to them anyway, saying how good a learner I was. No one cared.

The only interviews I was getting were with headhunters. They pretty much interview anyone with a college degree. They weren't submitting me to anybody, since their clients wanted the same 3 years experience with J2EE as everyone else did... But, for some reason one of the headhunters was interested in submitting me to a company who wanted J2EE experience anyway. Perhaps he forgot that I didn't have any. The company wanted me to take a J2EE proficiency test before the interview. I was to take the test in five days.

Not wanting to give up my first interview with my first actual software company, I studied up on J2EE. And I mean studied. For about 12-16 hours a day for all five days. Niki can tell you about it. It was hardcore.

I ended up getting a 67% on the test, which was about average for someone with development experience. I guess the company wasn't interested, and I didn't get the interview. I did, however, now feel strong enough in my J2EE knowledge to put it on my resume. I never claimed to have extensive experience, but I did put that I had worked with it, and was familiar with the concepts and practices.

I started getting more interviews after that. The postings still wanted 3+ years with it, but the fact that I had worked with it before gave me just enough of a foot in the door to get an interview every couple weeks, with actual software companies.

Within a month I had two software companies interested in hiring me, and a headhunter who wanted to submit me to a J2EE job. I didn't have a guarantee with either company, so I went in and ended up taking another J2EE test. I studied some more, and that time I got an 85%. This was without ever actually using it in a business environment. Within a couple days, one of the companies made me a generous offer, and I got my foot in the door!

Now I am my company's star young employee (I told you guys I was a fast learner!) and am getting a raise very soon. It was every company who didn't hire me's loss.

Now whether you can take any of my experience for your own benefit Synth, I don't know. But, at least take from this that I sympathize with you, and hope you can break into the professional market soon. Now that I have my foot in the door, the market is wide open for me. But if I hadn't had the motivation to study my balls off for that test, I could very well be still in the same boat [Frown] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this a month or so ago while I was looking for internships. I'm sure this isn't the only company that offers a program of this sort.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you can get an internship, take it!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I got an internship over the summer with HP through a program called apprenticeships in science and engineering. I think that it'll be a great job for a 16 year old (as opposed to flipping burgers or something). In fact, I actually start next Monday...
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
if I can find someone to take care of my rabbit for a year, Peace corps would not be so bad.

What kind of rabbit? Can you mail it to me in New Jersey

Tante Esther

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I think I'll try that. That company publishes the Alice series and I love that series.
I wonder how recent do they mean. I graduated five years ago and have been struggling to find a permanant job ever since.
Sometimes I just want to crawl back to college. It was so much easier to get a good job there and I got to work at the library.
Now to work on how to write a good cover letter.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
if I can find someone to take care of my rabbit for a year, Peace corps would not be so bad.

What kind of rabbit? Can you mail it to me in New Jersey

Tante Esther

Mail him?
He's a large half Flemish giant and no one is allowed to eat him...
I've never heard of shipping pets...

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an American Checkered Giant Rabbit, but she was not a good house rabbit (she kept breaking out of her bedroom and wrecking the house), so we sent her to live in the zoo, where she met a very nice rabbit boyfriend and got to have lots of rabbit babies, and see the sights at the zoo. Then she was transferred to another zoo, so I don't get to visit her as much, but she does get to travel and make new friends.

I miss my rabbit.

Not to highjack the thread, but you DID mention needing a rabbit-keeper.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Aw. Checkered Giants are so cute.
Mine is a very calm rabbit for the most part, but he loves going into my room when he's not supposed to so I watch him like a hawk.
He seems happy that the weather is cooler, because he was not doing so well with this heat.

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, we still don't know much about what you want to do. For instance, if you wanted to go into bookkeeping/accounting clerk, it is pretty much as simple as learning Quickbooks. You don't have to have an accounting degree, though some experience is helpful. But if you can test well on Quickbooks, then you can probably get placed with a temp agency that specializes in accounting.

I don't think going back to school would be a bad idea, if you know what you want to go for. Public health and accounting are kind of the two things I am torn between, though my grad school days are probably a few years off still.

Erg. It's almost 8 o'clock.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I have no idea. Mostly all I want is a stable job I can endure to be on to support my rabbit while I pursue what I really want to do, which is write. The most impractical thing I could think of.
I'm terrible in math, so I don't know if I can do accounting. I am too shy to become a teacher and I never want to work another retail job again, unless it's Barnes and Nobels or Borders and I get a discount [Big Grin] .
An office job, due to the money and sitting at a desk would be ideal. No more endless standing like bagging.
Something behind the scenes would be best for me. Not too much customer service. But, I'll do almost anything if it pays enough to live off of.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm a nurse, and there is plenty of demand for nurses. No one is asking for 2-3 years experience; you can get hired straight out of nursing school (once you pass your state boards). Of course, some specialty areas of practice will require experience before you start, but that's a great thing about nursing -- you can always learn and gain experience as you go.

18 months of schooling to become an LPN (or LVN -- different nomenclature in different states)

2, 3, or 4 years of schooling to become an RN (depending on the program, Associate Degree, Diploma, or Bachelor's Degree)

I love what I do. Nursing is the best job ever! [Smile]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I think I am going to quit within the next few weeks.
I really have no choice. The manager refuses to give me extra days or hours, I'm making no money, I'm miserable and I have had a migraine all day long from worrying and being angry that I have a job but still can't pay my rent or phone bill.
The question is, how do I quit? Do I hand in a polite 2 line note, typed stating that I intend to cease working there in two weeks?
I know it is slightly foolish to quit before getting a new job, which is why I need to know if I can get unemployment with a part-time job. It would only be temporary and would only be enough for transpotation to another job.
Which is about what I am getting now.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't get unemployment if you quit, I think.

Also, I don't think a part-time job qualifies for unemployment -- which is always LESS than your salary was.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Great. So I'm trapped... Either I stay in a job that is paying me nothing, or quit and still get nothing.
I can't win.
*Decides to get used to this headache*
Though the voice recording on the phone said you must recieve at least 3,000 in a 52 week period.

Plus I need a job right away. Right at this moment. As in now....

[ June 20, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you cook, syn? I'm not talking about fast food or even restaurant cooking, but really cook? I know that it's been a really nice fallback for me. If I am ever short on cash and hate my job, I can get a good paying job as a chef at a country club or private club, something like that. If you are able to cook, and willing to work hard, then its something. ::shrug:: Just an idea. I didn't have much experience when I started, but it's something that most people can pick up pretty quickly.

--ApostleRadio

EDIT: As another idea, I know a surprisingly large number of 20 somethings who work as nighttime security guards, either at businesses or schools, to support themselves. There are a lot of security agencies you could get a job with that don't require any sort of physical or gun training. These jobs are boring as heck, as they involve staring into space for long periods of time, but they are easy, and would provide you with a check as well as a quiet place to write. [Smile]

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I can cook, but nothing fancy.
I am good at baking.

Parsimony
Member # 8140

Bump because you may have missed my edit.
Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

That reminds me. I have an interview in Boston, but I can look into applying for a security job. I want something in office or security. Something that pays a good amount of money, at least 20,000 a year and does not involve being on my feet for hours doing something tedious, or heavy lifting.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I wish I knew how to help you. [Frown]

Temp agencies can be a good way to gain experience. Not the kind that shows up as "years", but things where you can say, "Yes, I've worked with Excel" or "Yes, I know how to handle a front desk phone" or whatever. These are valuable little things to helping you fing more permanent office jobs.

The problem with temp jobs is sometimes there is no work to do.

So I don't know what to tell you. If you could find something that could just pay the bills so that you can make it through a period of temp-work, maybe a night job or something, you might be able to cross over to a place where you can find the sort of jobs you were looking for.

I "crossed over" myself by having the right connection. But not everyone has connections. Once I "got in", I found I could get similar jobs fairly easily. It was a nice place to be. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are good at baking and like to do it you can get a job with a bakery - if you're willing to get up at three and get started at 5:00 am or so. Bakeries are always looking for good people, and if you can decorate cakes, then even better.

There will be a lot of work on your feet though, and lifting and moving (you wouldn't think so, but I worked in a bakery, and we had to move around 20 gallon tubs of icing - it's heavy!)

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I don't have any specific advice just don't lose heart, keep trying, look forward with a perfect brightness of hope.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, check this site out:

http://www.idealist.org/

Non-profit jobs. I know that all the museums in the Boston area put job postings up. Even if all you get is an admin job, the fact that you are now part of the museum can help you find other jobs.

Plus, you are quite obviously an idealist [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I know you said you don't want to do a lot of heavy labor... is this a medical condition that prevents you?

Because if not, and you are willing to put up with doing some hard physical work for a little bit, UPS is almost always hiring and is an excellent company to work for. You start out Part-Time at 9.50 an hour, handling packages, but you get full medical benefits and they have an extensive education reimbursement program. They also promote from within to insane amounts... so much so that their current CEO started in the company as, yes, a $9.50/hr package handler. It's hard work, but universally regarded as a great company to work for, that rewards their employees.

If nothing else, in 2-3 years you could get a truck route, and those are quite lucrative.

Just something to throw out there... forgive if it's been suggested before...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - Jim - Me good point! I forgot about UPS.

I've known several female UPS drivers who started out like you said and progressed in the company. One thing that impressed me was their maternity benefits, they really took care of their pregnant employees, finding them positions that didn't involve lifting, paid maternity leave and getting them back into their positions soon after they returned from leave.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I got carpal tunnel, but it's worth a shot... Anything's got to be better than bagging.
I just wish I had a car.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

oh, I don't think the UPS job would hurt the carpal tunnel at all, though I could be wrong about that.

lack of a car could be a problem, because public transport doesn't always run at the hours UPS might have openings for...

best of luck, regardless of which way you choose. As Tatiana said, keep hope.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Too late though. It's hard to be hopeful. I want a job right now. None of this application, resume, interview stuff. I just want to score a good job, leave this useless supermarket job behind me and finally start living the Good Life with money in the bank.
*Wistful sigh*

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, in the immortal words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need"
[Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Too late though. It's hard to be hopeful. I want a job right now. None of this application, resume, interview stuff. I just want to score a good job, leave this useless supermarket job behind me and finally start living the Good Life with money in the bank.

Syn, no one owes this to you. I personally want a pony, a personal massueuse, and a cabana boy at my beck and call. That's not going to happen by wishing either.

You do have to go after what you want, and you have to offer something of value in order for people to give you money. Wishing doesn't count as working for it. We all have to work for it - just about everyone has to do the interview and application and labor-to-impress song and dance. You can rail for ten minutes about not being a trust fund baby, but then in order to get that life for yourself, you have to actually do something about it. It will never be handed to you.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

*Well aware of this.*
But it is still stupid and pointless. I do have a lot to offer and skills, but how can I prove it if I am just another piece of paper?
It's so endlessly irratating to have to start from scratch very few weeks...
But I am working on it... It's a simple desire to want stability and being able to pay the rent every month.

katharina
Member # 827

Why is it stupid and pointless? You have a body you have to feed and house, and employers need employees who can do the job. It's not fun applying, but I don't know of a better system to match up jobs and workers.

Any system that takes the work of matching yourself to a job off of you puts it on someone else, and that isn't fair. Why should employers spend all their time and resources searching for you just so you don't have to bother with filling out an application?

If you don't do it, who is supposed to do it?

It's not pointless - the point is food and sustenance. That's not pointless. It's annoying to have mortal bodies, but we do, and we have to feed them. Until they come up with the food replicators from Star Trek, we have to deal with this reality.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

What I hate is the whole concept of you must have 2-5 years of experience, but how can I get that experience?
The only thing I can do is hope for more temp work or lie and stretch the truth a bit, claiming to have experience that I don't have.
I just want to get my foot in the door into a good and challenging position...
I just lack the skills to get connections, to smooze, to make bagging groceries sound more romantic than it is...
But, I can't afford to wait weeks and weeks to get a job when I need one right this second.
I have got to find a way to make myself stand out as a person so that the job offers come flying in...
That is hard to do without having money already...
*irratated by the whole thing*

katharina
Member # 827

Syn, many people have made suggestions about that already.

If you ignore all the methods up and out presented to you, yes, you are stuck.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, I still think you should check out Twin Oaks Community. Aside from it being great in general, if it's good work that you're looking for, they don't consider work experience when you're joining. They appreciate folks with a good work ethic and good attitude, but that's all you need.

Lots of folks who've lived at Twin Oaks and other communities (like East Wind, where I used to live) pick up skills while living in community -- I know lots of folks who've picked up office skills, construction skills, etc. while living in community, and then used that to get good jobs when they've moved on. I improved my farming skills while I was at East Wind, and even did enough office work to learn accounting stuff like how to do variance reports.

And that website once again = www.twinoaks.org

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

Extra money won't help you stand out syn. Are you a good interviewer? There are tricks you can learn and things you can do to help yourself stand out more in the interview process. When it comes down to it, you can get a job over a person with more experience if you are able to dazzle in the interview process.

Moving from the supermarket to the business world is probably a pretty big jump for many employers. You are correct that being another piece of paper will not help you stand out. But just like an interview, there are tricks you can do to help your resume stand out better as well. I'm sure some of these things can be found on the internet, others in books at the library. Just find a way to emphasize those strengths you have that others do not.

--ApostleRadio

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn, you're just whining now. You're letting a fear of consequences immobilize you.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Can't be helped... I'm down to the relics now and there are a LOT of obstacles.
Nothing drives me crazier than a bunch of obstacles.
But! There is a diversity career fair next week!
I think I will go to that and call staffing Now tomorrow, apply to work at some security places before my interview on Thursday and call the other temp places again tomorrow and politely beg plus write a thank you letter to Randstad.

mothertree
Member # 4999

Oh, yeah, cover letters and thank you letters after interviews are other avenues to not being another piece of paper.

And I hated math when I was your age too- right up until I was 30. But I am very detail oriented and all the actual math is done by computer. Hope the diversity job fair goes well.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I wonder if it's too late to send a thank you note to Serono and all the other companies I am signing up for.

quote:
Thank you for taking the time to meet with me about Randstad’s employment opportunities. I certainly appreciate your time and attention in the midst of so many people seeking employment.
Your were very thorough in your explanation of Randstad and its opportunities and benefits and extremely helpful to me. As we discussed, my computer and typing skills will be an asset to your clients.
I look forward to working with you and your clients in the future

[ June 21, 2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.