FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My love is so*...

Author Topic: My love is so*...
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, you've got to love the fact that every time someone starts a sentence by "So" here at Hatrack they put a "*" after it! Well, maybe not *every* time, but we're getting there, aren't we?

So* my advice is to keep up the good work! [The Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
why is that done? i think i missed something...
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
So* that was the first time I did that so* thing. Is there a significane behind this? If there is, please tell me so* I know why I'm doing that so* thing. It gets rather grating, reading it I mean, after the first or second time.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's shorthand for the fact that we know that starting a sentence with "So" is grammatically incorrect, but we're doing it anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

So* unveiled...

KQ, you're SO* wrong! [Razz]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some of us do it for different reasons.

In any case, the * did at one time lead to an explaination/excuse of that particular "So". Now, it's just kind of a convention.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I get it now. Thanks, Cor!

Edit: I don't like it though, so I don't think I'll do it. Is that ok everyone?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Notice the "win"... Cor-win. Corwin. Thanks. [Grumble]

Edit: Yeah, it's ok, as long as you get my name right...

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Sorry, Corwin. I didn't think you would mind. I give everyone nicknames. What do you want yours to be?

Also- Maybe I'll start ending sentences with prepositions from now on. [Razz]

Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, the problem is there's already a "Cor" around here somewhere... So*... [Wink]

As for nicks, pick one that you like. As long as I get it it's me you're talking to we're fine. I think... [Big Grin]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

How about.......crown?
Corwin
Member # 5705

Hmm......ok! [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always go with Corey.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Great Hatrack
Member # 8233

- posted      Profile for Great Hatrack           Edit/Delete Post 
NO! I must wear the crown. This corwin or Corey may not! I rule all!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Yeah, but the boy wants to be original. I say let him!

Edit: There're more than enough kingdoms for all of us, don't worry.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Being original is fun. All I did was rearrange the letters in your username and take out the i. It wasn't that hard. It took me all of one second.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Corwin's a Mormon and doesn't even know it... [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Small chance there! [Big Grin]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop doing that star thing! [Wall Bash]
Besides, if you do say something enough, eventually it comes grammatically correct if it's not obnoxious like using "internet" as a verb.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I like the star.

Didn't it eventually come to have something to do with Space Opera as well? We started shortening her name to SO and then SO* and it made me laugh.

*misses Space Opera*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I cringe inside every time someone adds an asterisk to the end of so.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Yeah, but the boy wants to be original. I say let him!

But only one is the True Amber. The rest are mere Shadows.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
It's shorthand for the fact that we know that starting a sentence with "So" is grammatically incorrect, but we're doing it anyway.

It is? Since when?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
And all this time, I thought the So* marked a thread as a mayfly. Boy, have I been confused.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.