FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Size 14+

Author Topic: Size 14+
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoes.

Yep - my bigger son has actually outgrown his size 13 shoes. Needs at least a 14.

And up to this point, I've always just bought the cheapies at Wal-Mart -- $15 or so. (because he grows fast and because I'm poor). Wal-Mart doesn't carry 14's -- well, they had ONE pair of 14s there, and it was a boot, and very expensive. I didn't like having only one choice.

So where can I get size 14+ shoes for a growing boy, that won't cost me an arm and leg, and that have more than one or two selections?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeesh. I don't know that you can get them that large and have them not cost an arm and a leg.

I will say this, though.

Be thankful he doesn't have one size 13 and the other size 17. (My father, after his aneurisms. Before, they were both size 12. Go figure.) [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you looked at Payless? No idea whether they carry shoes in that size, but it's a possibility, and their shoes are definitely cheap.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

No, I haven't. Good Idea. Payless is usually where I go when I can't find what I want at Wal-Mart.

Have a co-worker here whose son wears a 15. He tells me I won't be able to get them anywhere around here except at the speciality shops at the Mall, like Finish Line. Ouch - expensive!

But I don't know I only want to take his word for it -- he only shops at the top end stores, and travels to K.C. just to shop -- so he's used to the nicer stuff.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this link. Hope it helps. My husband has size 13, and that is hard enough. Good luck:

http://www.im-tall-too.com/extra-large-mens-shoes.htm

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Payless DOES carry size 14.

A few of the options.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking around online, I'm not seeing much of an intersection between "cheap" and "big". Plenty of cheap shoes in more standard sizes, and plenty of expensive shoes in gargantuan sizes, but that's about it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

That's a cool link, Elizabeth. I'm going to browse there for awhile. Funny name for a web page.

Thanks, rivka.

FG

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where you live, but my best friend in college wears a 16, and he generally does his shoe shopping for the whole year (or two) whenever he goes to Vegas. Outlet malls that have the big 3 - Nike, Reebok, Adidas, sell those weird sizes for Walmart prices.

Even if you're not close to Vegas, find out where your nearest outlet mall is and whether they have shoe stores.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for sneakers, most sporting goods stores carry large sizes. Andrew is a 15, so I'm well used to the problem of finding shoes.

I don't know if you have a DSW near where you are, but they will occassionally carry large sizes. The key is to buy whenever you find them. It doesn't matter if he doesn't need new shoes right then, they probably won't have them when he actually does need them.

You might also try a big and tall men's store - Rochester is a good one, but I'm not sure if they carry shoes.

The nicest shoes I've been able to find for Andrew are Kenneth Cole, which aren't my favorite. Ferragamo offered to have some specially made, but even I was shocked by the price.

One more thing - it's better to have a couple pairs of quality shoes than several pairs of poorly-made shoes. You might save some money initially, but it'll cost you more in the long run.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear size 14 shoes and I've never had any difficulty finding shoes (specialty shoes == other story), I would say any place besides, apparently, Wal Mart.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd look at http://eastbay.com

Most of their sales are for big shoe sizes.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time you're in Lawrence, stop by Wal-Mart. What with the basketball team and all, they carry lots of shoes 14 and over. My husband wears 14 and my mother is always stunned when she comes here and can find shoes for my father. Most of the stores realize there are a lot of big feet in town. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I think that's the key, Kayla. If there is a lot of demand in one area, then they are easy to find. I would think there would be more large-size people in Wichita, but apparently not, if we believe based on what they stock.

I never just "happen" to be in Lawrence -- but if we can't find something reasonable here, it might be worth the 3-hour trip. Thanks!

Farmgirl

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I've almost got size 14 (13.5). I have to go to a big city (Toronto) to buy shoes or to specialty shoe stores (in Brantford).
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, Farmgirl, you are feeding your Farmboy too well. Try him on a program of whiskey, black coffee, and cigarettes, and see if that stunts any further growth. [Wink]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, keep on eye on sierratradingpost.com. Sometimes you can find good deals on bigger sizes there. It's pretty hit-and-miss but worth a try.

My son seems to be stopping at a size 12. He's 6'5" though so I won't be surprised if he goes up a size or two...

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm not quite done growing yet and I'm 6'3 and wear a size 15, if you go to Khols (no idea how to spell that) they usually have a few pairs of 14s, at least by where I live, but you really got to look for them...now I shop at www.eastbay.com for + sized shoes.

Edit: Fun Fact: My cousin is 6'8" and wears a size 18 shoe! Their like canoes, even to me!

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.