FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pun Smackdown XXXII: Respect your elders

Author Topic: Pun Smackdown XXXII: Respect your elders
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
In honor of Dana's ordination, and because Elizabeth has said she'll parish without another pun smackdown, we're doing puns about religious orders (I'll have monk fish) and other churchy-type stuff. Of course, since I can't really stay logged on (due to packing for the move, etc.) I suppose I'll be participating ex-cathedrally -- I could be wrong about that, though.

[Wink]

Anyway, the bells are ringing. Come inside. Kumbaya...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bob.
Aisle remember this.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Priest, not another one...
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to enchoir about this pun business. It's a new testament for me, this writing style. Hymn... I'll have to think some more.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pun threads stink.

Pew.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do many puns. I may have to altar my writing style. I'll pulpit up a bit and make my writing meatier.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That was sort of an ad-homily attack, don't you think?

Liz, Aisle be damned -- just climb over people.

[Wink]

Seriously, you stole that one. I had it right here in my pocket ready to pop in here and freshen things up a bit. Sort of a vest mint.

I wonder if our host will want to make any puns? Or will he just wine like usual?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Did you hear about the hot new magazing being published? It's just for singing churchgoers, called The National In Choir.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Do you mean the father orson host?
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

That's the spirit!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

If you ask the pastor for advice right after services, is that like having an in vestment counselor?
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
My pun writing isn't very theo-logical.I must confess that thinking of them is praying on my creativity a bit.

(wow I'm posting ! well isn't that amazing, Grace?)

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It is great to have the host communin' with us.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Jen, you flex'd that pretty well. I bow before you.

[Hail]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My friend quit drinking, and that is all well and good. Now he is addicted to Internet forums. He is a postholic.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Little Johnny, on his way way in to the Sunday special praise service: We're all goin' to hail!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, I bet that made his mom sigh, nod, and really wrecked 'er.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you nave, is this a vestment in Liz's goodwill? By the way, is Smokey's mpther still alive? There's nothing worse than a dogma that's too rigid.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogma too rigid? Parish the thought.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The recent Japanese converts queued up to dance into the Church: it was a conga geishan line.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*asks Bob for a piggy-back ride*

I ain't massive, I'm yer brother.

(though I suck at puns)

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No one who puns cassock at it, alluvion.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I guess that one went over veryone's head. Maybe you all just wimpled out.
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Apse-solutely, Elizabeth. You must have really chapeled their asses.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the humor, such as it is, in this thread had peaked by now. I haven't laughed at in in ages.

Although Jenni can quote it chapter and verse.

[ June 19, 2005, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great for when I'm sick of being mature and I just want to be kiddish.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Egyptians used to believed cats were guardians of the underworld, but it was hard to get them to stay awake. They had special priests to take care of that: someone with a tabby knack'll really help with stubborn cats.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the witty spirit in these pun threads is really invicarating. I'll have to commune with you guys more often.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When the new synagogue came to town, the sent word out to the other congregations, "Won't you bima neighbor?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think this thread was a super-duper, preachy-keen idea.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Amidah big mistake getting involved with this thread. I may just kippah-n going until somebody sets their evil minyans to stop me!
[Roll Eyes]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Chumash longer is this going to go on?
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick note about an old friend that formed his own religion. We went to one of his sermons and my daughter was quite curious about his ornate,sleeveless overcoat. Having spent countless hours with said friend qualified me to explain what the vestmeant.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband is grouchy today, I think because he's on a diet. The doctor said he needs to needs to watch his cholesterol, because it's a little high. Then he wanted to order pizza, and I said, Don't trumeau that your health is at stake? Don't be so cornice, he replied, it's not your business, so buttress out. You're the boss, I said. It's not my problem if your arteries get all jambed up and clerestory.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Laugh] Good one, bunbun!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

bunbun, tell him if he doesn't stop complaining yu will put him on a Diet of Worms.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. Bunbun's wit sounds less like religion and more like architorture.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah, but it's church architecture, so it still counts.
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
You stole the puns; there's no surplice for the rest of us. But the truth is, the puns on this thread aren't worth tu nicles anyway. Are the puns - GAR! - meant to be so bad? I think I'll just rochet out of this zone as fast as I can.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy once who made too many bad puns. Finally, I said to him, "Eu Christ or something? So stop with the puns!"
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I hope he didn't get cross with you when you said that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.