FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The funny side of chess (a play in one act)

Author Topic: The funny side of chess (a play in one act)
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
The workings of the chess player's brain

quote:
How does the mind of a chess player work? How do memory, experience, analysis and inspiration work together to produce chess moves? The question has defied science – so far. Now a very imaginative young researcher has worked it all out and provides us with a vivid explanation, presented in an unusual form: a one-act play by Alex Shternshain.

[Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Woah, you're certainly not someone I would've expected to answer in this thread! Or at least not have a first reply! Do you play chess or at least know the rules? 'Cause I was going to send the link to some of my friends, and I was wondering on which categories I should count to find the "play" funny.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Ex-chess clubber here, and I thought it was great.

But then, I have no memory at all for chess - I never got to that stage of development.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not play chess, and while I can name all the pieces, don't always remember how each one moves.

OTOH, I love the musical [Wink] , and one of my favorite movies is Searching for Bobby Fischer. While I didn't bother to try following the moves (especially since I don't understand anything but descriptive notation), I did find the byplay funny.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Thanks Dag and rivka. I think I'll go with the usual "link as a Yahoo!Messenger status" so that anyone who wants can take a look.
Griffin
Member # 7166

- posted      Profile for Griffin   Email Griffin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I'm no critic but Wow! [Eek!]

My brain is loving it Corwin. But funny? Um no. Well not completely true, I'd say emotional.
All of Alex Shternshain's characters are so true. I kind of like Doubt and Inspiration the best.
Alex Shternshain could have added a "MOTIVATION" character when Fear's gang and Indulgence came in. I know motivation is one things I need when the game is lost or won (especially one), he had Inspiration, but I think Inspiration never said what Motivation could say (have to, have to, have to). But maybe at the 1900 level "the have to" is assumed?
Thanks for sharing this.

Do you know if any links I could watch this instead of read it?

Oh, and the e5 decision over c5...disappointing. Should have been c5 [Cry] , my favorite opening The Sicilian.

Griffin

Posts: 131 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

If you scroll down that page, right after white plays 1. e4 there's a link to a game viewer where you can see the moves.
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like see this play ! I love theater and i love chess !
Good idea, to look how brain run. And the game is interesting.

Another play i'd like to see is "Le joueur d'échecs" (The chess player). I know it is playing in a theater in Paris. I think i'll go.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I play chess with analysis, experience and memory all bound and gagged.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ouch, I think I misunderstood you, Griffin... You were talking about watching the play, not the chess game, weren't you? Oh well...

As for me, I've got my memory part working for the openings but not for endgames, analysis is working part time and with bugs and inspiration is wrong more often than not... As for indulgence, doubt and hindsight they work perfectly! [Big Grin]

Corwin
Member # 5705

*bump for those who haven't seen it during the weekend* [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.