FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Has anyone had Bell's Palsy?

Author Topic: Has anyone had Bell's Palsy?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I had a wonking bad pain, just behind my right ear (like aroung the mastoid). I took some pain medicine and went to bed, hoping it would be better in the morning.

It wasn't better in the morning. In fact, in addition to the pain, I woke up to find the right half of my face paralysed. Yikes! I called 911 and went to the emergency room, in case I was having a stroke.

They CAT scanned me and did some blood tests and told me I have Bell's Palsy (gee, and I didn't get anything for Bell...)

I went home with prescriptions for Acyclovir, Prednisone, and Percocet.

Percocet, by the way, makes me logy, but does not begin to touch the wonking bad pain behind my ear. Nor do ice packs, warm compresses, or any of the pain medicines I have sampled today.

So, Hatrackers, has anyone among you had the Bell's Palsy? What can I expect?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I had it in 1st grade. All I remember is that it really screwed up my school photo. Good luck though. It doesnt last long if my memory serves.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bellspalsy.ws/

quote:
WHAT ABOUT RECOVERY FROM BELL'S PALSY?
Approximately 50% of Bells palsy patients will have essentially complete recoveries in a short time. Another 35% will have good recoveries in less than a year.

Regardless of the trigger, Bell's palsy is best described as an event - trauma to the nerve. As with any other injury, healing follows. The quality and duration of recovery is dependent on the severity of the initial injury. If the nerve has suffered nothing more than a mild trauma, recovery can be very fast, taking several days to several weeks. An "average" recovery is likely to take between a few weeks and a few months. The nerve regenerates at a rate of approximately 1-2 millimeters per day, and can continue to regenerate for 18 months, probably even longer. Improvement of appearance can continue beyond that time frame.

quote:
HOW DO THE SYMPTOMS OF BELL'S PALSY PROGRESS?
Very quickly. Most people either wake up to find they have Bells palsy, or have symptoms such as a dry eye or tingling around their lips that progress to classic Bell's palsy during that same day. Occasionally symptoms may take a few days to be recognizable as Bells palsy. The degree of paralysis should peak within several days of onset - never in longer than 2 weeks (3 weeks maximum for Ramsey Hunt syndrome). A warning sign may be neck pain, or pain in or behind the ear prior to palsy, but it is not usually recognized in first-time cases.

Jamey Sheridan had a recent bout with it.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/bells_palsy.html

quote:
Treatment
The condition generally gets better by itself, without any treatment at all. However, it is fairly common to be given a course of steroids within the first 24 hours or so of the onset of the symptoms. Acyclovir, an antiviral medication, may also be prescribed. However, there is only limited evidence to show these treatments are effective.

A self-help programme of physiotherapy may stimulate recovery from a mild attack of Bell’s palsy, though evidence is slight. The following may be advised:

Massage the face using a moisturiser.
Exercise the facial muscles in front of a mirror.
Apply gentle heat to reduce any pain, using a microwaveable pad for example.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Eek!
How scary. I am glad you will be able to recover fully.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy! Refuah shelaimah!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had it twice - once after I was mugged and hit in the face, the other time when I was pregnant. My doctor said some women get that or carpal tunnel during pregnancy. Coincidently, one of my co-workers got carpal tunnel - she was pregnant at the same time that I was.

I didn't have pain either time, just facial paralysis. The first time it went away after a couple of weeks. The second time, I think it lasted a bit longer, and it was slightly worse. I had to tape one eye shut at night because it wouldn't close on its own. There was a bit of drooling, as well. But, it did go away.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jamey Sheridan had a recent bout with it.
ooh he looks odd with short hair... I've only ever seen him in The Stand...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys, for all the support and info. Much appreciated. [Smile]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother had it, and it got better. Also, an elder on my mission had it, and he got better. Both were under considerable stress at the time. I'll bet that's a contributing factor.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
I woke up one morning with the left side of my face feeling like I'd been to the dentist - I figured I'd slept on it funny, so went to work thinking it would go away. After about an hour, I decided I should call the doctor, who suggested I go to the emergency room. I suggested it would be just as fast to wait until 8:30 and go to the clinic, rather than get in all the morning rush hour traffic going to the hospital in downtown St. Paul. Which I did. The doctor pretty much figured it was Bell's Palsey by testing for and eliminating all other possibilites. I can't remember all the tests, but I know Lyme's was one of them, and I had an MRI. This was several years ago - the doctor didn't routinely provide antiviral medication, but after I printed some info from the web and took it to the clinic, I did get a prescription. I had absolutely no pain, just that numb after-dentist feeling. And I leaked out of the side of my mouth when I tried to drink anything - I had to pinch the left side of my mouth closed while I drank from a straw. It must have lasted 2-3 weeks . . . although, in my case, there are residual effects. I don't notice anything except on pictures. My smile is definitely lopsided. Occasionally, I pucker my lips to check for progress (after about five years) . . . and I'm still lopsided.

Since I had no pain, perhaps I had a milder form of Bell's Palsy. In any case, I wish you the best as you recover.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.