FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Popcicle disaster (Link included)

Author Topic: Popcicle disaster (Link included)
Void
Member # 8259

- posted      Profile for Void   Email Void         Edit/Delete Post 
Scary!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050622/ap_on_fe_st/popsicle_disaster

[ June 22, 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Void ]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The 25-foot-tall, 17 1/2-ton treat of frozen Snapple juice melted faster than expected Tuesday, flooding Union Square in downtown Manhattan with kiwi-strawberry-flavored fluid that sent pedestrians scurrying for higher ground.
The Onion could not have written a funnier paragraph! [ROFL]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, this is one reason I love HatCrack! [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah this reminds me of the molasses disaster in Boston (was it?) a long time ago when some molasses storage tank burst, sending out a snail paced tsunami of sticky stuff that engulfed everything in its path. It is said that you can still smell molasses when it's damp in that area of town.

Now I must google for the true facts of the case. My memory is too bad!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, here it is! <marvels anew at the wonders of google> Apparently it was an explosion, too, and not a slow wave.

"How fast is molasses in January? That day the wave moved at an estimated 35 miles per hour." From the Smithsonian article about it posted here.

[ June 23, 2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Informative quote from the Molasses Disaster page:

quote:
Hours after the explosion, a company lawyer was on the scene falsely blaming others for the disaster.
<insert favorite lawyer joke here>

[ June 23, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

It's really too bad they used pink Snapple for the popsicle. Just think!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes, sndrake, the company had previously responded to warnings about the unsafe condition of the tank by painting it brown so you couldn't see the molasses leaking out so easily. [Smile]

It's good to know some things haven't changed. Sometimes I'm tempted to think stuff like that is new to our times.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

It's weird how many things that have come to my notice lately happened in 1918-1919. Richard P. Feynman was born in 1918, I just read in the book of his letters that's just come out. No mention of the influenza pandemic in the year of his birth. Thank goodness it didn't take him! I guess we'd never know what we lost if it had, but anyway I'm glad it didn't.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the best-laid plans of idiots. A giant popsicle in the summer heat? No one figured that melting MIGHT be an issue?

Oy! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If they try it again, how about trying in December? Or even Sept? [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
How on earth did I miss your comments on the Great Molasses Disaster, Tatiana? It's my favorite!

Thanks for bringing it up!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.