FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House Approves Move to Outlaw Flag Burning (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: House Approves Move to Outlaw Flag Burning
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Pixiest, but I can't take any position you espouse seriously when you make up stupid crap like that. I was going to be nice about your drawing style, but since you seem to feel that insulting an entire people group is okie dokie, I'm dropping the act. You draw like a 6th grader. Your sense of proportion and color are terrible. Whatever political statement you may have been trying to convey is lost in the camouflage (there's a French word I'm sure you've used on many occassions) of your complete lack of natural talent.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
So if someone has a pair of swim trunks with the flag on it and they burn them, will they get arrested?
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wearing swim trunks with the flag on them would count as flag desecration.

Thus, a fasion faux paus would now really be illegal.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You get lots of enjoyment out of being so acerbic, don't you, Primal Curve? I mean, it's not like Pixiest was really imposing on you by letting your inner Simon out, was she?

And I'm not sure you understood what point she was trying to make well enough to feel she was insulting the people you think she was-certainly she called the vote stupid.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly conservative. Not to mention the fact that I think flag burning is inappropriae. But, I would be embarrassed if there was an anti-flag burning amemndment.

It's silly and petty.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't burning a flag the only way to properly dispose of it? If this amendment passes, will stuffing the post-July 4th mini American flags into trash cans with dirty diapers and stale pizza be the acceptable alternative?

quote:
So if someone has a pair of swim trunks with the flag on it and they burn them, will they get arrested?
This gets to my problem with the amendment. How are they going to prosecute people who burn a flag? With fines? Prison time? Dismemberment?

Besides, if someone really wanted to desecrate a flag, they could find other ways than burning. My evil mastermind is coming up with a couple right now. [Evil]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This gets to my problem with the amendment. How are they going to prosecute people who burn a flag?
Castration.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The amendment empowers Congress to prohibit "flag desecration." This means proper burning would not be affected, and other means of desecrating will be prohibitible.

Imagine the legal squabbling over "flag" and "desecration."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks the SC might be awfully tempted to rule that any form of political speech could not, by nature, be desecration . . .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Wouldn't that just be hilarious!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How are they going to prosecute people who burn a flag? With fines? Prison time? Dismemberment?
Burning at the stake would be fitting, no?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
And I'm not sure you understood what point she was trying to make well enough to feel she was insulting the people you think she was-certainly she called the vote stupid.

Do you get enjoyment out of being so obtuse?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Why, thank you, PC. I hadn't recognized that was the flag of France.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Technically, she's not burning any country's flag. If it were France's flag, the blue would be on the hoist side of the flag. There are no known countries with a tri-color; red, white and blue flag with red on the hoist side. I think, in this case, I'll chalk it up to extreme cultural illiteracy on Pixiest's part.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Shocking!
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
From dictionary.com.
quote:

des·e·crate Audio pronunciation of desecrate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ds-krt)
tr.v. des·e·crat·ed, des·e·crat·ing, des·e·crates

To violate the sacredness of; profane.

[de- + (con)secrate.]dese·crater or dese·crator n.
dese·cration n.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

desecrate

v 1: violate the sacred character of a place or language; "desecrate a cemetary"; "violate the sanctity of the church"; "profane the name of God" [syn: profane, outrage, violate] 2: remove the consecration from a person or an object [syn: deconsecrate] [ant: consecrate]

This amendment would officially elevate the flag to sacred status. I don't know who should be more offended, those religious, or those areligious.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Exactly, Glenn. It's a ridiculous idea in and of itself, without bringing in free speech.

Add free speech, and the argument is compelling. Although I think regulations on open fires which are enforced in an even-handed fashion should be able to legally prevent flag burning as a safety regulation. But such a regulation would have to be viewpoint neutral.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

What I like is how we're curtailing the rights of people to protect the rights of objects.

-o-

quote:
Although I think regulations on open fires which are enforced in an even-handed fashion should be able to legally prevent flag burning as a safety regulation.
I don't see how this would be true. What if one burns a carefully folded flag in a barbecue?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

If barbecues are allowed in that location, then it couldn't be banned. If barbecues aren't allowed, then it shouldn't be allowed because someone intends the act to be expressive.

If someone could legally burn a blank piece of cloth in that location and in the same manner, then they should be allowed to burn a flag.

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Politicians are stupid.

They've become the most worthless profession in America.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What if one burns a carefully folded flag in a barbecue?
It just doesn't have the same feeling attached to it [Big Grin] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Dagonee: I strongly disagree. Expressive (especially politically expressive) activities should enjoy further protection than non-expressive activities, just as many religious activities enjoy greater protection than otherwise identical non-religious activities (peyote anyone?).

If someone could burn a flag there without endangering anybody or having a danger to start a fire, even if there's a general ban on burning things except in approved locations, they should be able to burn a flag in political protest there.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Or like schools can disallow modifications to uniforms but be forced to allow politically expressive armbands and similar.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
just as many religious activities enjoy greater protection than otherwise identical non-religious activities (peyote anyone?)
Funny you should say that, since peyote use in religious ceremonies does NOT enjoy constitutional protection.

quote:
If someone could burn a flag there without endangering anybody or having a danger to start a fire
I would argue that this almost can't exist in a public space, especially with people around angry enough to burn the flag. A burning piece of cloth, usually soaked with a flammable liquid, has at minimum a pretty serious chance of blowing into someone.

As to danger of starting a fire, who's best qualified to decide that? A judge or a fire marshall?

There is a standard delineation between traditional means of communication (leafletting, holding signs, picketing, soapboxing, etc.) and other activities intended to be permissive. The former may not be restricted without a compelling state interest. The latter may not be restricted in a viewpoint discriminatory or non-content-neutral fashion.

Burning anything falls into the second category pretty easily.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that wrt peyote.

There are people who burn the flag when they're not in any sort of violent anger, just as there are those who calmly handcuff themselves to fences (not saying that is or should be legal, but that it happens).

I'd be perfectly fine with the fire marshal performing a specific assessment of the situation and the judge using that to determine whether the burning of the flag violated criminal codes [Smile] .

I just think that its too easy for the government to infringe on expressive rights given the ability to make such general bans which encroach on expression.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and I don't necessarily think this is the standard, I think it should be the standard.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

As an aspirational goal, the government should allow it to the greates extent possible. But, whereas I think banning a person from handing out leaflets in a park open to the public is as close to never acceptable as any use of the word "neve" I can think of, the banning of open flames is necessary in enough situations that the burden of showing the safety in the face of a general ban should be on the people wishing to conduct the burning, not the government.

Judicial examination on a rational basis of the need for the ban and on a strict scrutiny standard with respect to sham justifications or discriminatory application is perfectly acceptable. But a specific showing of danger in the instance should not be necessary for defending a general, evenly applied rule.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, whereas I think banning a person from handing out leaflets in a park open to the public is as close to never acceptable as any use of the word "neve" I can think of
I don't know, I find Neve Campbell pretty unacceptable [Smile]

[hands Dagonee a free coupon to make fun of my next typo]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I don't know, I find Neve Campbell pretty unacceptable
As a former Party of Five fan, I'm not sure this is forgivable.

At all. [No No]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.