FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't suppose there are many of you... (mission call!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I don't suppose there are many of you... (mission call!)
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
わあ、日本。。。すごいなあ! おめでとう! [Smile]
Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I WILL be there in the spring. I can come visit Annie!!! I can't wait!

[Big Grin] Congrats, Annie!!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you speak Japanese?
Not yet.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ashley was told by her mission president, "People who serve North American missions go back scriptorians. People who serve in Central and South America go back fluent. People who serve in Asia just go back-- if they're lucky. Don't beat yourself up if the going is slower than you'd like."

She came back fluent anyway. [Smile] I bet you'll do great.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Annie!
Long live Japan!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Congrats! I am very jealous - I am sure you will have an *amazing* experience.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! My wife is from Japan and our 11 month old son is half Japanese. I have been there 3 times--I think.

I served in South Korea, but she is from Japan. There is no relation to my mission unless you count that the person who hooked us up on a blind date got our countries mixed.

It is fun there.

quote:
Congratulations, Annie! My little sister just got back from the Fukuoka mission
The Fukuoka mission is where my wife was baptized.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Tokyo!

[Eek!]

That's super cool!

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>"People who serve North American missions go back scriptorians. People who serve in Central and South America go back fluent. People who serve in Asia just go back-- if they're lucky.

Hey, what do those of us who served in Europe go back as?

Oh, right-- apostles. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I just thought I'd share this because it made me smile:

My little (well, 6' 4") brother is in the Marines and was stationed in Iwakuni, Japan for 2 and a half years. He hasn't been to church in a while and I was worried he'd be a little hostile to the idea of me going on a mission. But here's the email he sent me:

quote:
That will be awesome!

You will definitely have to stay in touch…I can help initially with some Japanese before you go. But I am sure that once you are there…with your intellect, and a complete immersion…it’ll be easy!

In all actuality, knowing Spanish or French before hand will help enormously in pronunciation. Somehow, in the weird line of languages, different sounds and pronunciation in Japanese is almost exactly how you would pronounce the word if you were trying to say it in Spanish! So, it will be really easy, and you will probably hear quite a few times from the get-go that your pronunciation is very good…even with simple things…you tell someone Washi Nihon-go shibarenkei…which means “I don’t speak Japanese” (Hiroshima-dialect) and you can pronounce it so well that they all giggle and say…”Oh, you speak Japanese so well”…kinda funny cause you just told them that you don’t!

But if you keep in touch and let me know where you are at…maybe I can take a drive out there one weekend to see ya! Then we can go eat sushi or Yakiniku together! You’ll be in my country!!!

Would you be allowed to visit with me? Are there rules against that?

Let me know! I really think you’ll love it! It’s a great country and the people are SO hospitable…even if you’re acting like a jerk. Not that I would know that first hand…

…talk to Matt Yaskus though…if he’s still around. He went to Japan for his mission too.

Ha! My sister is going to be Nihonjin!

Makusa!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie! That's Wonderful!

I'm so happy for you!

[Party]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would you be allowed to visit with me? Are there rules against that?

Hee Hee! Tell him you can visit him if he is an investigator..... [Wink]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Tokyo sounds awesome, I'm sure you will have fun...

I actually heard ont the radio the other day that Tokyo was just rated the most expensive city on earth!

Will you be okay financially? Where do missionaries live when on a mission?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!! Get ready for a wonderful experience! But first get ready for three long months in the MTC... [Wink]
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Xav... actually, the church changed policy a few years back (in the 90s?) so that rather than each missionary paying for his or her lodging and food at local rates, the costs would be evened out and everyone pay the same. So basically, I'll be paying the same $400 a month that all the other missionaries are paying, but those who are paying that much to live in, say, Guatemala, will be supplimenting the cost of the missionaries in, say, Tokyo.

And actually, I won't even be paying $400 a month. I've spent the last 6 months working to pay off my debts, and my family is in some rather dire financial straits, so the cost of my entire mission is being paid by three families I know, two in my local congregation and one that I know from my college town. When I think of their generosity and willingness to help (all of them approached me and offered support) I am totally humbled and amazed at human generosity. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somehow, in the weird line of languages, different sounds and pronunciation in Japanese is almost exactly how you would pronounce the word if you were trying to say it in Spanish!
I have experienced the exact same thing, but with Portugese instead.

Annie -- I don't remember. Is your brother LDS?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Well, technically yes. He hasn't been active in about 5 years.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. [Smile]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Annie!!! I'm so excited for you! The next year and a half will be an amazing experience for you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
>>"People who serve North American missions go back scriptorians. People who serve in Central and South America go back fluent. People who serve in Asia just go back-- if they're lucky.
The variant in my Korean mission was:

"People who serve North American missions go back scriptorians. People who serve in Central and South America go back fluent. People who serve in Korea come back with a leather jacket."

True to form, I got the nicest green leather jacket over there. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I some how missed this thread Annie.

Congratulations!!

I could give you all kinds of advice based on my mission experience, but in the end it would make no difference. You must find the path God has for you on your mission alone. Trust Him, seek to serve Him.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Thanks, Rabbit. [Smile] I don't remember, though - where did you serve?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somehow, in the weird line of languages, different sounds and pronunciation in Japanese is almost exactly how you would pronounce the word if you were trying to say it in Spanish!
Well, that's just because certain sounds are very common across all languages. The bulk of languages have five basic vowels and most of the same consonants.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Nerd.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
That cut me deep, Scott.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Da da DAH da-HEY-da dah da dah
[Wave]

Sorry, that was on the radio yesterday.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
What fantastic news -- congratulations!

And (and I know you will) make sure you drag your companion to all sorts of cultural activities on your one day off a week.

I have no idea what it's exactly called but anything that has to do with the Japan Traditional Craft Arts
Exhibition would be very cool. My grandparents get the catalog of winners every year -- some amazing works. I especially like the pottery and textiles.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I served in the Vienna Austria Mission. Back in the dark ages.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Vienna in the Dark Ages? Sweet! How did feudalism affect the church organization?
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*covet*
Because I want to go to Japan...
You could get... dir en grey things and konnyaku...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I was just in the process of moving when this thread got posted, and I barely got internet access--dial-up for now. But even thought I'm late, I didn't want to be left out of the congratulating. Way to go. Not that I didn't love my mission in Portland (it was the greatest), but I'm jealous. Japan is going to be sweet. Have a great time.

Oh, and as long as Syn brought it up, I may have to get in on the list of people you have to import some stuff for. I'll make it worth your while. [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Portland. It really is the greatest city, I love it. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
すごい!

That's so awesome. If my plans work out as, well, planned, then I too will be in Japan in a bit less than a year's time.

That would be so funky walking into a sacrament meeting and seeing Sister Majors... or would it be Sister メージャス(Me-jyasu)?

Enjoy learning 日本語! ひらがな(Hiragana) and カタカナ(Katakana) are so simple and so much fun to learn.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Annie! May your mission be everything that you want it to be.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
omedetou gozaimasu

Be sure to take a breatheable, Teflon-laminate rain jacket. The rainwear you buy over there is sweaty inside...like a ZipLock bag.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Japanese is easier than you think, except for if you say I am giving something to someone.
That is rather difficult.
I really must go over my Japanese. Reading HP in Japanese will help.
You'd have melty kisses to look forward to in the winter time.
A fine confection. Mail us chocolate fans a ton of them and we'll give you flowers [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great experience.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Choko on the way!

Thanks for all the good wishes, especially from those of you who know somewhat of what I'm up against. [Smile] So far, I can say Neko wa doko desu ka and Aisu kuriimo o kudasai. I think that pretty much covers all my basic needs.

quote:
That would be so funky walking into a sacrament meeting and seeing Sister Majors... or would it be Sister メージャス(Me-jyasu)?
I know nothing of the conventions of transliterating English names, but I practised writing mine just for fun, and I decided to go with Me-i-jo-ru-su because that sounded the closest. (I'll have to figure out how you guys are typing in kana) So I'll be Meijorusu Shimai, or something close to that. [Smile]

Where are you going to be, Taal? That sounds like awesome fun.

By the way, have I mentioned that I'm excited?

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Annie! I hope you have a very fulfilling and fun time.

I missed this thread first time 'round.

So, is the country assigned to you by LDS elders? Why not send you to a country that speaks French since you speak that well?

Or did they figure you were good at languages so you would have a better shot at learning Japanese than others?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

The elders of the church (usually includes at least one apostle, I believe) assign missionaries to the missions throughout the world. They base the decision on what missions are in need at a certain time, but also take into consideration the applicant's qualifications. Mostly importantly, we believe that they are inspired by God in the choices they make.

There are all kinds of apocryphal speculations about why people go the places they do, and a couple of my priesthood leaders have speculated that my history of language study made me a good candidate to learn a harder language. But, most prevalent is the notion that you always end up being surprised in what God thinks is good for you, and I must admit that surprised I was. [Smile]

Annie
Member # 295

Oh, and another factor they use in making the decision is family ancestry. (they ask you on your application form) One of the new elders in my mission, who will be going at the same time as me, emailed me and apparently just abuot everyone in his family (he's a 2nd or 3rd generation Nisei) including his dad, three uncles, two aunts and some cousins, have gone on missions to Japan. He doesn't speak any Japanese but still wasn't surprised to find himself assigned there.

And then there are weird quirks. I've known at least four missionaries come to Montana from Mongolia. I don't know if it's the climate or what, but for some reason our weird little backwater mission is full of Mongolians.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Where are you going to be, Taal? That sounds like awesome fun.

That's a good question. The even bigger question is if it will happen at all. I'm going to be applying to the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) Program as an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) for the 2006-2007 cycle.

So wish me luck [Smile]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I applied there 2 times.
Didn't get in.
Good luck to you. *flowers*
I want to go to Japan in November.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and don't let your companion fool you into brushing your teeth with wasabi (which comes in a tube like toothpaste).
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I fully expect you to come back well versed in the Japanese culinary arts, Annie. And then Jon Boy and I can invite you and Hobbes over sometime and we can have Japanese food and deep-fried chocolate cake for dinner.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. . . wasabi. . . [Big Grin] I love wasabi . . .

Deep fried chocolate cake? Do you have a recipe for that? [Eek!]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Do you need a recipe? You just deep-fat-fry a chocolate cake.

I'm still trying to work out the physics of it, is all. [Smile]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking you should bake the chocolate cake first. Then put it on some sort of metal pan approximately the diameter of the pot with the oil in it. Put the cake in the pot. Pour hot oil over everything.

Now, getting the cake out could be the hard part.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that it would fall apart in a mess of crispy fried goooooodness. [Big Grin]

I'd still eat that.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.