FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ow. How do you decide if a cut needs stiches?

Author Topic: Ow. How do you decide if a cut needs stiches?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
So I decided to cut out some squares for a quilt I'm making my son. He requested that I sew him something because most of my sewing has been for the girls. Well, he was right.

So I decided to make him a very simple backpack quilt (a quilt with an attached backpack that the quilt can fold up into)

I'm cutting it out with my rotary cutter and my straight edge** and I for some weird reason, just slide the rotary cutter up the side of the straight edge and right over my finger.

It took a while to stop the bleeding, and I really suspected I needed stitches because it looked to be a pretty long cut.

After I got the bleeding stopped, however, I'm not so sure. It's a very shallow cut made with an extremely sharp and clean blade (I always clean my rotary blades before cutting fabric) and there is no real gap - the sides of the cut are lined up very evenly and there is no real gap that stitches would be necessary to close.

Does that sound reasonable? I mean, I really, really don't want to go to the ER for stitches so I might be erring on the side of staying home.

My mom suggested superglue. Does anybody know if that's really safe or not?

** Straight edge in this instance refers to a straight edge used to cut a straight line. Not mormons, or people who don't drink or do drugs, or any other social class.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's shallow, and closed, I don't see why you'd need stitches. You'll want to clean it well and maybe butterfly it shut with some medical tape or butterfly strips, though.

I wouldn't use non-medical-grade Superglue, just because of possible contamination.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe my mom has used superglue for cuts. Her hand hasn't fallen off yet, so it may be safe.

And let me just say, ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. I actually felt that as I read about it. Does it hurt as badly as my nerves imagined it?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I shuddered at the mention of rotary cutter. My mother's was always super-sharp, and your post is what I'd dream of happening to me. O_O

That said, I have no idea if you should get stitches. I guess it's a matter of keeping it closed so it can heal.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Um, it hurt. It still does, though I have it well bandaged and have taken ibuprofen.

It's the first time, in years of sewing, I've ever done anything like this. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how experienced you are, a momentary lapse of concentration around something sharp can cause an accident.

My biggest complaint right now is that it's making typing difficult, and I've got a paper due in my English class by Monday. [Razz]

Oh, and my other concern - voiced to my mom after she came home early (just in case I did need to go) was "Did you see the fabric? There's not blood on it is there?"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Superglue can work, maybe clean the nozzle/applicator before you put it on if possible. My husband had to use it on his lip when one of our ferrets took exception to being bathed, and it worked fine. But in this case I'd guess butterflying it shut would work better.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you intend to keep using that hand, I really do suggest butterflying and re-bandaging. Make sure you change the bandage often, and watch carefully for infection. I think you'll be okay. [Smile] Maybe you can dictate to your mom. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have any doubts as to whether you need stitches or not, please see a doctor.

I definitely don't think you should use non-medical superglue to glue your cut. Even though people here have heard of it being used, it definitely presents a risk for infection to use an item like that for a cut, as it has not been prepared for medical use.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw is right . . . I have used super glue on small cuts on my digits. I've found it to work especially well on those "cold weather cracks" we Minnesotans sometimes get on our hands. [Smile]

Edit: This is non-medical advice.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Even though you've used superglue and it worked, I still don't think it's a great idea. It's just not a medical product and could present a risk of infection, especially with a large cut.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*points to Ela* See? She's a nurse, she knows stuff, and I'm with her. I just wouldn't want to feel responsible for your infection if you used superglue.
Belle
Member # 2314

Oh, nobody here would be responsible for an infection if I got one.

I think it's a moot point, as I don't believe I have any superglue, and I'm not about to go buy any just for this.

I'll keep it clean and take care of it. I checked it not long ago, and it hasn't re-opened or begun to bleed again, even after both typing here on hatrack and finishing the cutting out of the fabric (though I admit I kept my hand a lot further back this time! I can't even guarantee the cuts are entirely even, but they're good enough for this purpose.)

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! Its good that its not bleeding anymore (and probably also good that you didn't have any superglue... I wouldn't think getting that in your bloodstream would be that good for you).
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If it gapes,it may benefit from sutures, otherwise, wash it gently with soap and water, and bandage it closed. Now, every time you get your hand wet (like washing your hands after toileting or before eating), you will need to re-bandage with a clean bandage.

Wounds such as you described heal faster and scar less if you use an antibiotic ointment. Bacitracin is a good one.

Plain gauze and tape is preferable to a band-aid, because wounds tend to macerate (you know, get soggy, wrinkly and whitish) under the plastic band -aid, and that can slow healing.

In any event, change the bandage no less often than daily until it is healed.

Signs that you are heading for trouble are redness, heat, swelling, pus drainage, bad odor or increased pain. Then you may need an antibiotic to treat infection.

Good luck with your English paper, and utilize your typing reserves for that, rather than Hatracking (tsk, tsk)

And, Dragon, I doubt that superglue gets into the bloodstream. It pretty much sticks to itself, and it would be in too big a clump to go anywhere.

Your Tante Esther, RN

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks, Tante. [Smile]

It's doing fine, and I did use bacitracin, in fact.

I changed the bandage after cooking supper, and when I washed it again it opened up and bled a bit, but not much at all.

I think I'll live. [Big Grin]

As for the English paper, I did part of it. I'm in pretty good shape there.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you gotten your tetanus shot recently?

Did you know tetanus has a 50% mortality rate?

Yeah, I got mine yesterday. I shot a nail through 4 of my fingers at work. [Razz]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and my other concern - voiced to my mom after she came home early (just in case I did need to go) was "Did you see the fabric? There's not blood on it is there?"
[ROFL]

Eddie, HOW did you do that?!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.