FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Question For the Ages (Avatars)

Author Topic: A Question For the Ages (Avatars)
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I've really grown accustomed to recognizing a person by their avatar. Why don't we have them here?
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
To get to the other side?
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got an avatar I love for other boards. I wish I could use it here...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Lara gets the cookie.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I like having one forum where there aren't avatars. I think it makes the threads much easier to read, and take lots less time to load, for those of us without the wonders of broadband(not me, but I may be in that position soon).

Edit: I wouldn't mind if people didn't change them quite so often. Pop's avatar on GC confuses me EVERY time.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't make up the contest.... *smile* I'm glad we don't have avatars here, and I'm glad we don't have signatures.

Now if we could just do away with the graemlins....

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

<---- totally offended that Pops would plot to kill the graemlins
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I said do away with, not kill. They're welcome to live out their round little lives somewhere else.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] [Party] [Taunt] [Evil] [Evil Laugh] [Dont Know]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like no sigs and no avatars. Too repetitive, you know? After the first few hundred times you see an image or read a sig, it loses its charm. I think perhaps my brain is not as good at filtering out that sort of thing as many people's are. I prefer for stuff not to wiggle around on my screen, too. I keep animations turned off in my browser.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My name IS my avatar.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, and its not so hard to recognize people by their names either.

[Razz] Papa Moose. The smilies are so cute!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
You can always give yourself a sig and an avatar, without it being built in.

For example, my sig is j_k. Hobbes' is, of course, Hobbes, and sometimes I think of the [Smile] as Hobbes' avatar.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Yes, but every time I see your sig, I think you're kidding.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after all, some of us like long signatures, with links to cool threads we've started, ASCII art, and little animations. It's a bit of work typing that in every time.

-----------------------------
My AARs :

By the Grace of God, King of Sweden and Norway, King of the Wends and the Goths : Tides of War Vicky MP game. (Ended 1920, Scandinavia is 4th Great Power.)
In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the all-Merciful : Ottoman Empire in TOW II. Ended 1883.
Ynglinga Saga : King of Norway in the Great Game, a CK->EU2->Vicky MP epic. Current year : 1119.

Knight-Companion of the proud Order of the Protectors of the Pandas. All hail the Panda Empire!

To win a hundred victories in a hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Civilized people – Muslims, Christians and Jews – all understand that the source of freedom and human dignity is the Creator.
- John Ashcroft, speaking to a group of Christian broadcasters, on February 18, 2002

Secular schools can never be tolerated because such a school has no religious instruction and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith.... We need believing people.
- Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933, from a speech made during negotiations leading to the Nazi-Vatican Concordat of 1933

Only faith in Christ gives rise to a culture contrary to egotism and death.
- Pope John Paul II, mass rally in Mexico City, 1/25/1999

I am a sig virus. Please put me in your signature so I can continue to replicate.

Nobody has the right to worship on this planet any other God than Jehovah. And therefore the state does not have the responsibility to defend anybody's pseudo-right to worship an idol.
- Rev. Joseph Morecraft, Chalcedon Presbyterian Church, "Biblical Role of Civil Government" speech given 8/31/93 at Biblical Worldview and Christian Education Conference

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
*I* have a sig, too.

::pout::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
kwsni: when I read posts, I "hear" the writer reading. So you're always saying "Ni!" after every comment [Big Grin]

quote:
Yes, but every time I see your sig, I think you're kidding.
I'm always kidding. Even now.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.