FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you ever want to see me again...

Author Topic: If you ever want to see me again...
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me how to get internet service in the backwoods of Indiana! I'm trying to figure out what my options are. We live so far away from everyone that we're contemplating just using cell phones rather than getting a land line. The local phone and cable companies have to do feasability studies and get back to us. So, unless I do my Hatracking from the local library once a week or two weeks, you shan't be hearing much from Jenny (unless a better solution can be found)!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea! You could write me on my mission! Yay!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There are satellite options, but
A)They're pricy
and
B) It's possible that the trees would block access to the proper area of the sky.

[ June 25, 2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The cell phone idea's actually not half bad. A cell phone with bluetooth and an unlimited data plan can allow a computer with bluetooth (easy to install on one that lacks it) to use its connection.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

(you could also use other sorts of connectors and the like, but bluetooth simplifies things)
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What's the bandwidth like with that option fugu?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
We also have a field. Any links where I can research satellite options? We're also considering doing phone-over-the-internet. Anything. Then we can do a cost/benefit comparison.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Ooo, fugu, now you're talking. My hubby is a Delphi engineer in communications, and he's familiar with bluetooth. Does anyone know how I can get some hard data on these options? Price, service area, hardware needed, etc?
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hns.com/HNS/Rooms/DisplayPages/LayoutInitial?Container=com.webridge.entity.Entity%5BOID%5BC376F121B3E73A4A96FBD2E958655763%5D%5D

DirectTV's DirecWay. It's expensive. But hey, it's less expensive than the computer you'd hook it to, right? And what is your happiness worth?

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Here is a page that gives pricing for one satellite ISP's services. I knew it was expensive, but holy crap! They're talking about $400 for the dish, $200 for the dish's installation, and then $60 a month for access. How many takers can they possibly be getting at prices like that? Of course, the answer is that they've got so few takers that they've had to set their prices at those points, I expect.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
For that kind of $, I think you might be able to get a microwave transmitter that will do Ethernet type speeds over several miles... then all you have to do is get internet service delivered somewhere with line of sight to your antennas and you're in business...

*roots around for equipment*

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think my idea was good. [Grumble]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Thanks, Pixie! My first link to some useful info. Whoo, it's terribly expensive, though.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Looks like there's another option, too: http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/31/2346247&threshold=1&tid=215&tid=193&tid=4&tid=137

Those are pricy, though . . . Cingular'll give you the PC card for free, with a 2 year contract, but their unlimited rate for usage is $79.99/month. Not cheap, but not out of the realm of possibility. Investigate satellite first.

Their unlimited rate plans for Blackberry and PDA connections are much cheaper -- $45 to $50 -- and at least some PDAs have bluetooth . . . Blackberry apparently uses a nonstandard implementation that disables connecting through the PC, though this may have changed.

Even without an unlimited data plan you could dial up to a dialup ISP with a cellphone with bluetooth: http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/typesofaccessavailable/ht/bluetoothphone.htm

I'd talk to the cell phone companies about what the costs of their unlimited data plans are, and if those data plans are sharable via bluetooth.

Your best bet appears to be T-Mobile as far as price, though it could just be the others have badly designed websites: http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet

That, plus a bluetooth phone, will likely enable you to connect at somewhat better than dialup speeds (twice as fast or so).

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
If you and a few others are willing to band together, you can use a Tsunami MP.11 set up (I think it's about $800 for a base unit and $400 per subscriber unit) to broadcast secure Ethernet out to 6 miles from the base unit. Incorporate, get a T-1 (about $400/month these days, I think) and become your own broadband ISP to the boonies!

Edit: and definitely go Voice over IP. Chances are your phone company already is anyhow, even if they don't sell it to you that way.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found some wireless isp providers in indiana here. Where exactly do you live?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

If you've got an even slightly unreliable connection, don't go VOIP.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, it's very distracting to read a thread entitled "If you ever want to see me again..." right after reading one of your recent posts at another website. And I'm married.

Just sayin'.... *wink*

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Mwahaha! I'm so evil.

I think I may have found something! There is a wireless internet provider that even has a tower in my little town. It looks as if we're covered by at least 3 towers. Crappy website, hopefully better service. I'll be calling them. "GlobeSurfer" is what it's called.http://www.globesurfer.net/

And another one, which won't let me link to its map. "Hoosier Broadband" http://www.hoosierbroadband.com/

If you're checking, my zip code is 46049, Kempton IN.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My eyes are bleeding. BOTH those sites need to have a competent designer come along and help them. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Here you go, Jenny
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! That's not far from Indianapolis. I have family in Southport. Cool.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Ah! Very good. Thanks for your help, everyone!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always go the old fashioned route
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, Bob, that's a pretty exclusive network there with an exhaustive list of restricted sites. I don't know if Jenny can get to Hatrack with that one... LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.