FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » On Leaving Olives Out in a Can Overnight (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: On Leaving Olives Out in a Can Overnight
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Asphyxia is usually instantaneous...
If that's the case, why can people breathe helium out of balloons and not immediately pass out? Is there oxygen mixed in?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, then, suffocate.

But do I get points for knowing how to spell "asphyxiate"?

And wouldn't that make a neato hangman word?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
And wouldn't that make a neato hangman word?

*steals word and uses in hangman game*
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't steal that word!

It was freely given. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If that's the case, why can people breathe helium out of balloons and not immediately pass out? Is there oxygen mixed in?
That's one of the notices that we got on a regular basis. Praxair is the only producer of helium in north america, so when someone dies from the use of our product we get an internal memo. But it's not widely publicized outside of the company.

Most of the people who die from breathing helium die from a related injury. They fall and hit their head or break their neck.

The reason many people successfully breathe and talk with helium is a question of ratios. You never fully empty your lungs when you exhale. And since you have to breath out of a balloon to get the helium, you only take a small breath. Oxygen is normally about 20.7-20.9% of air, but you can survive nicely down to about 19.5% oxygen in whatever gas you're breathing.

In order to get below 19.5%, you have to work at it. Most people will feel light headed after talking with helium for a little while, and stop doing it. But people that exhale very deeply and then take a long draw on a balloon are likely to pass out. And when it happens, it happens fast.

The MSDS for helium explains that helium is an asphyxiant, but since it isn't sold for internal use, there aren't big warnings all over the place explaining the danger. However, when someone uses the helium voice on TV, Praxair's lawyers are all over them. Federal express pulled an ad after they were contacted, for example.

I filed an idea memo with praxair the year before I left that they should sell "balloon gas" with 79% helium and 21% oxygen. Since helium is way more expensive than oxygen this would save them money. They might even be able to charge more for it. And it would eliminate the possibility of liability from asphyxiation. One of the responses that I got was that by doing so, it might be seen as a tacit acceptance that people would breathe a gas mixture that wasn't intended for internal use. I haven't heard anything about it since I left the company.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Pineapple Experiment Update

OK. I put the pineapple can (half full), covered with a baggie, in the fridge way back in July. Now it is September -- and still no can etching action. There is some funky growth going on the surface of the pineapple, though.

I check it once a week. The can is intact.

Glenn -- maybe you were mistaken? Maybe it wasn't pineapple, but something more can-corroding?

I'll continue to watch and wait, but I'm getting a little bored and impatient already.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe he had something else in the can with the pinapple (does any sort of alcohol do that?)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Perhaps my pineapple is fermenting as we speak. In fact, I'd lay bets that it is.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility: different brands of pineapple, and therefore both different pineapple (acidity, sugar level, even precise variety of fruit) and different cans. Some brands treat the insides of their cans with various anti-corrosion substances.

Of course, Glenn's could have been a mutant can.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Glen, it's been 6 months, and my pineapple can STILL hasn't etched itself in half. But the pineapple has metamorphed into something-that-used-to-be-but-is-now-no-longer-pineapple. A kind of brown sludge. Periodically, someone will happen across the can, with it's little baggy perched on top, peak in, and say "I'M TOSSING THIS!", but I have always stopped them, swearing that it is an Experiment In Progress.

But I'm giving up. You must have been dealing with a different kind of pineapple. Or a different kind of can.

Xan
Member # 9015

- posted      Profile for Xan   Email Xan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha

Fun thread.

Well, i dunno about Pinapple, but there are some scaaaary things in the back of my fridge that have been ther... wow, well over 2 years.

Really will have to get around to cleaning it out at some point...

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, maybe refrigeration was the issue. Didn't Glenn leave the can out? Perhaps the cold hindered corrosion.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
But I once left a half a can of pineapple out and when I came back the can had been etched in two at the liquid level. When I picked it up I had an empty (but extremely sharp) ring of metal in my hand, and the pineapple was still in the half can on the counter. (literally half a can)

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
Um, the can was in the refrigerator, and I honestly don't have the faintest idea how long it had been in there.

Hmm. He DOES change his story. At first it had been left out. Later in the thread, it's in the refrigerator.

In any event, mine is ziplocked into a biohazard bag in the trash can behind the house.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.