FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Really hope things change.

Author Topic: I Really hope things change.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Today i went to church as i do every sunday(Roman Catholic). Walked in, listend to a reader speak the first and second readings after periods of song. Then came 3rd readin(read by the preist) then the homily(for those who don't know its the time where the priest usually talks about the previous passage). During that time period i usually dose off, thinking about other things. Today when doin so it came to mind that no one else was paying attention either.

Priests that i encounter at mass are becoming less involved and have that steryotype low voice. About a year ago at my church there was a preist that was just fantastic. Young, witty, and involved. He would get the whole church listening, everyone wanted to hear what he had to say. I was eager to go to church and sit and listen. He left last summer because of his yearning to learn(went back to school).

The catholic church is losing momentum of those types of priests, and it seems to me(and anyone else that notices) that church is out of habbit. Now im not to sure what other religions are like so some might not be. Of course there are some catholics that enjoy praying and studyin theology, but the majority dosent.

All and all, i'm just hoping that my church once again gets the blessing of a good preist, because its all worship other than the talking during a mass. Any preist can do that, but the real message gets across in the homily.
What is everyone here at hatracks churches like? I just want to know if any other church seems to be waining towards this too.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a university in your area? You might try the church nearest to the university, if there is one. In my experience, the most dynamic priests are sent to those churches.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and push for the ordination of women and for married clergy. [/controversy]
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I was going to say the same thing but much more tactfully.

Not that I know from any kind of experience, unless you count reading Newsweek .

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It might be worthwhile to talk to your priest. Yeah, that would take a lot of guts - I'm not sure if I could do it - but if done in the proper spirit, it might help the priest, your parish, and you greatly.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
well i have like two preists, one who's a little old who gives a pretty good mass, but i miss his masses alot cause they're pretty early. So the mass that i usually go to has a diferent preist, who is bascally already described. Whenever i get the chance i talk to my favorite of the two preists.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Mormons call speakers from the congregation, it's always a toss-up for us. If we have a boring speaker one week, we can think, "Well, at least I won't hear from this guy for another year or so. Next week's speaker will be better."

Except for the Sundays when members of the High Council come to speak. Those are virtually guaranteed to put you to sleep [Smile] I think the councilors are called for their inspiration and administrative abilities ... not for their speaking skills.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Postman,

It is indeed a rare and wonderful thing in the Catholic Church to have a young priest, from this country (and thus culturally astute enough to be witty in a way the parishioners will find meaningful). I lived in VA for a year and went to a church there (they called themselves a Catholic "Community") where the pastor was a young vibrant guy who really was into community involvement. He gave a great sermon.

I've seen a few of the old-timers give a great sermon (especially if they are scholars and stick to the readings).

But, really, one of the reasons I have for leaving the Church is that I felt spiritually dead and there was nothing happening in my local churches to help that. It was songs sung as dirges, sermons that ran to fill a time block, and rarely anything going on that would count as community-related activities.

They aren't like that. If you want to remain Catholic, you're just going to have to travel to find a community that is really doing something that appeals to you.

I knew of a church 40 miles away that was doing good stuff, but that was too far to travel, IMHO. So I went looking elsewhere instead. (by that time, I also had a beef with the reinforcing of conservatism in the church as well, so I wasn't really all THAT interested in staying in the fold anyway), so really, it was more than just the hour drive each way.

Seek it though. You'll find it somewhere.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
The priest at my church is old, but extremely witty and engaging. When I was younger, I fell asleep in church regularly. Now I love to listen to the sermons.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The seeking is a difficult thing. We've visited two different churches in the last two weeks, and had things to like and dislike about each.

Very hard to make that decision.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Avadaru,

I agree 100%. Two of the best priests I ever encountered were quiet elderly. It was a joy to listen to them. One was a scholar in NYC. The other a simple Franciscan who was just a good and holy man.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.