FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bob did you find your coffee maker yet? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bob did you find your coffee maker yet?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering. It's not like I'm obsessive or anything.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am obsessing enough for all of us.

And NO! I haven't found it yet. [Cry]

I am using the giant Melitta filters in the single-cup cone, however, so I'm happy.

Coffee!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

I was just hoping something had changed since yesterday. But, you probably spent the day doing church related things. I forgot about that for a minute.

Dana should get the new church members to come over and unpack you guys. No better way to get to know the new minister than to unpack all her stuff. [Big Grin]

Plus, you'd know where your coffee makers are.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I'm sure a few of them are just dying to come over and go through our stuff. But, really, they're just being as nice as can be.

We thought about having the youth group earn "points" for their mission trip by clearing out our garden and moving stuff around, but, well, it'd still be too embarrassing.

Maybe after we get the place sorted out.

I'm almost done with the office. Then it's on to the guest bedroom and the entryway downstairs.

Wish us luck!

Coffee makers will turn up eventually.

I swear these boxes have conspired together and swapped contents at random. I packed them. I know what's in them. I labelled them.

And yet...nothing is where I thought it was.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I mis-labled all of the ones I packed, just for fun.

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Bad ElJay! Evil ElJay!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Actually, I forgot there were at least 2 coffee makers that ElJay packed too. There's at least 5 of the buggers out there in different boxes.

Sheesh!

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm pretty sure I labled the box I put the coffee makers in.

Now the question is what I labled it...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Not to worry. It's here somewhere.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good, luck, Bob. Good luck.

There is always Dunkin Donuts.

But probably not for you.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, I think my coffee's done, so I best head off for work. Have a good day!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[Grumble]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dana should get the new church members to come over and unpack you guys. No better way to get to know the new minister than to unpack all her stuff
The reverse works too! When my sister and her family moved to a small town, the minute the moving van pulled up, the local United Methodist minister (the church is across the street) came over and helped them unload it all and unpack!

That's why my sister is United Methodist now...

[Big Grin]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You have 5 coffee makers?!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
They did just get married...so take the ones they already had, and add the ones they got as gifts they are holding onto to regift. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

They didn't get any as gifts. And Dana didn't have any to start with. Those are all Bob's. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Five coffee makers means that not only does he probably drink too much coffee (so do I), he's a coffee snob.

What's wrong with instant? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the french press was a wedding gift, but we registered for it and won't be re-gifting.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey dkw, speaking of finding things, did you find your ordination present yet?

--Enigmatic
(wins the wrapping contest)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Instant coffee? Feh!

Turkish coffee? Yum Yum! (and no coffee maker required, just a pot on the stove) It is deliciously strong and thick and rich and chewy.

[Eek!] <--me after too much coffee.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Negative. Perhaps it ran away with the coffee makers?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I have had Turkish coffee. >_<

Coffee should not be CHEWY!!! [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You know, they say that people who actually like the taste of coffee are mentally unstable, right? I mean, only crazy people like coffee. The rest of y'all became accustomed to it. (I'm crazy all on my own and don't like coffee. Can you imagine how nuts I'd be if I like coffee?)
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Your present was not wrapped with any coffee makers, so that would be an entirely different box that'd have to be missing.

-Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Black coffee, as I have mentioned On Hatrack several times, is toxic waste. It should be treated with milk and sugar for safety's sake, ASAP.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

rivka! First the country music thing...now this!

I consider 5 coffee makers the absolute minimum. Here's the lineup:

1) Cuban coffee percolator for that double-espresso in the morning. This is really the best darn coffee you can make. It works with a fine grind and comes out so smooth and strong.

For those of you who like milk and sugar, you can actually make the cafe cubano (whip the sugar into the strong, strong coffee -- add milk if you absolutely must, but you really shouldn't).

2) French Press -- I'm a little new to this one and I must say that I like it but I'm having difficulty with the whole thought of pouring boiling water over dry coffee grounds. It just feels wrong. The water should start out ice cold in the pot and gradually heat up. But the F.P. is nice and I've always wanted one.

3) Espresso/cappucino machine. I have an el-cheapo one that does a very good job. I use it mainly for cappucino because nothing froths milk better than high temp/high pressue steam. It makes a good cup of espresso, but it's limited as to strength and I really prefer a double strength version. Still, not bad.

4) Stovetop percolator by Farberware. If you don't own one of these, you just aren't treating your guests properly. It makes a small batch of coffee perfect for 4 people to have over dessert. Less trouble than cappucino and you can set it on the stove and go do other things. Better than the electric percolators. It just works great.

5) Big percolator. I seriously think I might've tossed this one. It was my grandmothers so I might've hung onto it for sentimental reasons, but electric percolators are to coffee as dickies are to shirts. Silly, short, and embarrassing if anyone ever finds out.

Anyway, I have one. Somewhere. May it rot.

But...I still consider such a unit essential because there are times when you have to make A LOT of coffee for a crowd that is not too discerning. I don't waste the fair trade, fresh ground stuff on these folks. They still get good stuff (Folgers special dark roast), but that's it.

Also, one must have a good coffee grinder. I just gave my old one (a Mr. Coffee personal sized one) to some friends because I got the one I really wanted -- the Kitchen Aid one in bright red.

Note, I also have a Melitta single-cup cone thingy. It makes horrid coffee. I'd rather get the coffee at a gas station. But it's at least something. Melitta is terrible stuff though. I can taste the paper. Yuck! And no matter how much coffee you use, the water drops through the filter so quickly that it barely has time to pick up some color, let alone flavor.

Horrid.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
4) Stovetop percolator by Farberware. If you don't own one of these, you just aren't treating your guests properly. It makes a small batch of coffee perfect for 4 people to have over dessert. Less trouble than cappuccino and you can set it on the stove and go do other things. Better than the electric percolators. It just works great.

My parents have one of these that's older than I am. I used to love to watch it on the stove. Nothing . . . nothing . . . nothing . . . FWOOSH! [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Bob, you are wooing me. Sigh.

My dear, sweet, wonderful husband never drinks coffee. His reason? "I'm a tea drinker." Like that's some sort of weirdo creed that he has sworn to live by.

Coffee is good, delcious, nectar from heaven. I shudder to think of driving anywhere without first fortifying myself properly.

Once you unearth your coffee gear, can I stop by for a cup? I'll bring the rugelach.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

His dear, sweet, wonderful wife never drinks coffe either. Her reason? It tastes gross.
rivka
Member # 4859

dkw, you and my mom would get along so well. [Big Grin]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Coffee is yumptious. Amen. Selah.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
My parents have one of these that's older than I am. I used to love to watch it on the stove. Nothing . . . nothing . . . nothing . . . FWOOSH!
Ah, rivka, you know...don't you? [Big Grin]

Tante, you can come by any time. We'll sip a cup a' and tsk tsk over our spouses' lack of taste.

rugelach is not necessary, but most certainly welcome. We'll even let dkw try one!

[Big Grin]

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) Cuban coffee percolator for that double-espresso in the morning. This is really the best darn coffee you can make. It works with a fine grind and comes out so smooth and strong.

For those of you who like milk and sugar, you can actually make the cafe cubano (whip the sugar into the strong, strong coffee -- add milk if you absolutely must, but you really shouldn't).

I'm trying to figure out what on Earth you mean here, but I have no idea.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[aside] "Rugelach" is plural, and takes a plural verb. [/aside]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Ic.

When my REAL Cuban friends (those who proved their friendship by making me coffee) made me coffee, they did it in one of those little stovetop percolator espresso thingies, and then they put the hot coffee in a big container and whipped sugar into it with a whisk.

They didn't normally use milk in it, but I was just saying that I supposed that if someone WANTED milk in their coffee, they could still do so with cafe Cubano and not deserve to be shot.

So...do I have it wrong? Is that NOT the right way to make cafe Cubano?

My friend...who never made me Cuban coffee?

And who still has my copy of Ruggles of Red Gap?

I hope. Cuz I can't find the flipping thing.

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I most certainly did make you Cuban coffee in my house.

With my espresso machine. The way restaurants and cafeterías make it.

By a "percolator" are you referring to a steel device that looks like two cones meeting point to point? Those are what people had at home in the days when home espresso machines were not feasible. They are widely considered to burn the coffee, but if you like it, then who am I to criticize. I just wasn't sure what you meant by a Cuban coffee percolator.

Café Cubano simply refers to Cuban coffee, in all its forms. Una colada refers to Cuban coffee with nothing at all added except sugar, to taste. It is typically shared in teensy tiny paper cups, unless, like me, you don't share well, in which case, everybody gets an entire colada. This is what I made you on your first visit to my house. Una cortadita might be what you're describing. It is like a colada, but with a small amount of milk mixed in as well. Or you might be describing café con lecha, which is actually primarily milk, with a small amount of Cuban coffee and sugar mixed in to taste, and is usually had as a breakfast drink (along with toasted and buttered cuban bread, which is dipped into the drink). The drink itself, when prepared this way, is sweet, like a latté or a Thai iced coffee (but hot, not cold. This is usually how we have coffee as a breakfast drink. The other styles are generall post-meal drinks, or no-particular-reason middle of the day drinks.

And I thought I returned Ruggles of Red Gap, but I'll check when can. If I have it, I am holding it hostage, and you'll have to come and get it.

[Razz]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...I'll come by for more coffee. Let's try it each way and see which one I like best.

And if we get to watch Ruggles of Red Gap at the same time...bonus!

[Big Grin]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

My Apollo/Soyuz (two cones meeting at the point) coffee maker is the best ever.

It does tend to burn the coffee if you don't stop it at just the right moment. But then you just have to drink your mistakes, you know...

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Tante, you can come by any time. We'll sip a cup a' and tsk tsk over our spouses' lack of taste.

I'll give a call the next time I'm in the neighborhood. [Smile]

Has anybody been to Dunkin' Donuts lately and seen the travesty of flavored coffee they are perpetrating there?

While not a fan of the flavored coffee (it already HAS a flavor), some flavors make a kind of sense: almond, hazelnut, vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon. That is, flavors that are brown and toasty. But blueberry flavor? That's just messed up! Feh! Double Feh!

In my opinion, the nicest thing to add to a perfect coffee is Irish Whiskey. It is a combination of inspired genius.

rivka
Member # 4859

I adore flavored coffees. But blueberry?!?! EWWWWWWWWWW! <insert barfing smilie>
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
My Apollo/Soyuz (two cones meeting at the point)

I knew I liked you.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

*snicker*

I found my present.

Kayla
Member # 2403

Well? What was it?
ElJay
Member # 6358

The coffee pots I packed are probably in a large dish pack style box, which may be labeled "large pans" and/or "wedding gift room." They were in the antique cabinet in the wedding gift room, so I believe I used them as filler in a box of random stuff from that room.

It's been long enough that I feel sorry for you, Bob, and wish to help.

dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin] It's a Dungeons and Dragon's Manual -- The Complete Divine: A Players Guide to Divine Magic for All Classes. He packed it in with my office books.
Kayla
Member # 2403

Excellent.

My husband wishes he could see the book, and that more "cool" people were coming to the BBQ on Saturday. Are you sure you don't want to drive 4 hours for a hamburger? (He only knows Bob and punwit, both of whom he liked and are considered the "cool" people.) (Well, actually, he met Caleb, too, but he considers him to be more of "the person who keeps my wife calm" since he came when we moved and I didn't go nuts, or anything, rather than a "cool" person you hang out with.)

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Woohoo! Was that not the perfect place to put it? I was a little miffed that in the current edition they didn't do it as The Complete Cleric's Handbook or something like that. But this works for a good, broader-based clergy book. You know, in case you ever need to branch out from Methodism.

At some point I'd determined what your 3rd ed domains were. "Travel" was definitely one of them at the time. Methodism in general seems like "Law" would be appropriate for the other one, IMO.

--Enigmatic

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:

It's been long enough that I feel sorry for you, Bob, and wish to help.

Well...since I'm not the one selecting the boxes marked "kitchen" to unpack, I have been relying on dkw's good will and desire for a non-grumpy housemate to move the coffee-finding process along. I like to think she's sincere in her stated desire to find at least ONE of them.

Now, this new clue points to boxes I could legitimately open that, in other circumstances might've remained sealed for weeks or months -- the label would definitely imply non-criticality of the contents.

So...what to do? Should I get up early and run downstairs like a kid on Christmas morning? Or, should I continue to suffer with my kluge-job Melitta set up?

Hmm. I could always switch to that most Southern of breakfast beverages: Dr. Pepper.

I must give this some thought.

But thanks, ElJay, for the extra clue.

Enigmatic: She was laughing really hard. Good gift, great wrapping job. [ROFL]

Kayla
Member # 2403

I don't know how much longer I can take this. If I had a car, I'd drive out and unpack your house while you were working.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
5) Big percolator. I seriously think I might've tossed this one. It was my grandmothers so I might've hung onto it for sentimental reasons, but electric percolators are to coffee as dickies are to shirts. Silly, short, and embarrassing if anyone ever finds out.
You are a coffee snob! [Wink]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.