FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC, Foreign Language Speaker?

Author Topic: OSC, Foreign Language Speaker?
Fahim
Member # 5482

- posted      Profile for Fahim   Email Fahim         Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is pretty funny for a given value of funny [Razz] I'll first detail events as they happened and leave the commentary till later ...

I was reading a scanned copy of OSC's "How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy" and came across the following sentence (or rather sentenct fragment) in the introduction:
"and if by forewarning you I can forewarn you, I think it's worth the effort."

So I look over at my wife and say, "What the heck does that mean?" and read out the sentence fragment to her and she says "It means that he doesn't know English!" I then treat her to one of my patented evil-cackles and said "It's Orson Scott Card!" - the expression on her face was priceless [Razz]

She's a great OSC fan and that explains the look on her face. I was reading a scanned copy of the book and so I'm not so sure that the sentence was reproduced correctly and so the original might read the way that OSC actually intended it to be. That's it for the commentary.

Of course, I guess it probably falls under the had-to-be-there-to-find-it-funny category but I still thought I'd share [Smile]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, can I disclaim ownership of this guy now?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
It means if you *know* the rules, you can break them if you like. That discussion was my favorite part of "Finding Forrester" the movie.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahim
Member # 5482

I could understand the intent behind the phrase (if it was meant to be phrased that way in the first place [Razz] ) but sorry to say that it just didn't work for me there :-(

But then again, I can't really say much since I have never read OSC (I can hear the gasps of horror and outrage all the way here in Sri Lanka [Razz] ) - except for Ultimate Iron man. And I have questions about that for OSC too but since I don't know for a fact that he'll read this, I guess I will not get into the whole Ultimate Iron man thing [Razz]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
It means if you *know* the rules, you can break them if you like. That discussion was my favorite part of "Finding Forrester" the movie.

AJ

Ugh. As a writer, editor, and student of linguistics, I really hate that aphorism. Of course, I hated Finding Forrester, too.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I understand that whole bit about knowing rules to break rules, too, but that phrase of his - the one Fahim is talking about - just doesn't work for me either. At all.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know the context?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, everybody makes mistakes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it was a mistake.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fahim! [Smile]

I've heard a lot about you... [Wink]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

It might be an intentional mistake which was itself a mistake. It could be an apparently failed attempt at irony (I say apparently failed because of the response from the first post [Smile] ).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*buzz*

Actually, the sentence is *looks at it for reference in hard copy* "...and if by forewarning you I can forearm you...", which is a form, of course, of the popular idiom "forewarned is forearmed". So*, this

quote:
I was reading a scanned copy of the book and so I'm not so sure that the sentence was reproduced correctly and so the original might read the way that OSC actually intended it to be.
was correct. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, KQ, I was thinking that was what was orignally written when I read the first post, but didn't have a copy to confirm it. Thanks,

Karl

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

In this case it was anything can make mistakes -- the OCR scanner.
Fahim
Member # 5482

Well, we now have that cleared up, though the post wasn't meant to be a critique of OSC's style - I just found the look on my wife's face funny [Razz] Thanks KQ for clearing that up before we analyzed it to death [Smile] Now if OSC would just come in and answer my question about Ultimate Iron Man ....
Fahim
Member # 5482

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
Hey Fahim! [Smile]

I've heard a lot about you... [Wink]

Hi imogen [Smile] I'm kinda like the smallpox, everybody's heard of me but nobody's seen me ... in a long, long time [Razz]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim, as your penance, which should be a pleasure as well, you are sentenced to purchasing an actual, legal copy of the book in question and coming here to write a book report.

Oh, and 20 lashes with a wet noodle. To be administered by your spouse, of course.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have a copy of the book. In Canada. Legal and everything. [Razz]

Do we still have to buy another? [Dont Know]

Fahim
Member # 5482

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
Fahim, as your penance, which should be a pleasure as well, you are sentenced to purchasing an actual, legal copy of the book in question and coming here to write a book report.

Oh, and 20 lashes with a wet noodle. To be administered by your spouse, of course.

That's more of a punishment than you know - I mean the buying an actual legal copy part [Razz] First, you have to find a place that sells it and since there are only like three major bookstores here and none of them have it, that's out. Then you can think about something like Amazon.com but considering that they tax you on stuff which comes via the post and that the tax/duty is arbitrary based on the estimator's guesstimate of the value, you might end up paying more in tax than the book and shipping charges combined [Razz]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Note how he completely ignores the lashes with a wet noodle administered by . . . me. [Big Grin]

Hmm. Honey? Guess what we're doing tonight!!! [ROFL]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quid: No, but you have to go to Canada and visit all the Hatrackers you can along the way. And there might be a trade off in the number of lashes with a wet noodle. I'll have to check.

Fahim: It might just be cheaper to fly you favorite Hatrackers out for a visit on condition that they bring with them a choice selection of OSC books and related material. I would volunteer for that duty, but I suspect that I would not be the guy you want smuggling things through Customs. I actually FILL OUT those declaration forms. Completely.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumblegrumble*Englishprimroseisnotanoxiousweed*grumblegrumble*
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay...I filled out the Agricultural Inspection form on our return from England.

They thanked me for declaring the seeds Dana had purchased at Harrods.

Then they threw the seeds in the garbage.

Fahim
Member # 5482

I have to agree, I don't think the primrose would qualify as a weed - not even for smoking [Razz] But maybe the customs inspectors had been partaking of some other weed before they went through your form? [Smile]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I suspect they keep at least some of the stuff they confiscate.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, you think?

Here, if they know what's in it, and they want it, you can bet'ch'er sweet bippy that's why they confiscate!

Fahim
Member # 5482

Actually, they don't confiscate here - they appropriate [Razz] They will take it right in front of your eyes ... if they think they can get away with it [Smile] I brought in lots of comics when I moved back from the US and had to get the help of a senior customs officer to get the stuff out without paying all those taxes. Afterwards, he tells me, "Why don't you give me some of those comics for my kids? They love comics." What can you do when that happens? I gave him some comics [Razz]

[ June 29, 2005, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Fahim ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hmm. Two periods in all of that. No wonder he needs my help with his punctuation. [Razz]
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, did someone say punctuation? I want a degree in that. I studied at least three forms of punctuation, on of which many theories revolv around. I'm even constructing my own system...
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.