FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, this is just bizzare

Author Topic: Okay, this is just bizzare
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, Fred Phelps and his group of merry lunatics have taken to protesting the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq with signs like "Thank God for IED" - an IED being an improvised explosive device, such as used in roadside boobytraps - with the rationale that the war in Iraq and resulting soldiers deaths are God's way of punishing the U.S. for having liberal attitudes and laws regarding homosexuals.

I think we'd almost have to invent a new word for how crazy this is.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jackass.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred Phelps and his minions need a serious attitude adjustment. Not for what they believe; they've got a right to that no matter how absolutely wrong I think they are. No, they need the adjustment for the behavior that they seem to think is acceptable from human beings living in a supposedly civilized culture.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
What a bastard.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...logically...if something happened to him or one of his minions, that would be God's judgement upon them?

Or is this a one-way street?

Of course his message is as old as the OT prophets (and no doubt before that too), but picketing funerals doesn't really show much feeling or solidarity with the people he hopes to "save."

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
It amazes me how many Christians are able to outright ignore the entire book of Job.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Squick, do you have a link? I don't doubt your story, I'm just interested in reading more about it.

In any case, Phelps is indeed a hate filled and probably not entirely sane man. It's actually kind of nice to see him getting a little further out there, though, as it makes his position toward homosexuality even more obviously wrong headed than it was already, and perhaps will cause people who quietly agree with him on that subject to reconsider it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to use the term "Christian" and the name "Fred Phelps" in the same sentence.

He makes everything religious look bad. He does more damage to Christianity than he will ever do to the gays.

I'm usually all for free speech, but I sure wish someone would shut this guy up.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said elsewhere... nothing more infuriating than an idiot who claims to be on your side [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
He's protesting funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq?

Anyone want to take bets on how long this man lives?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, it was on the local Boston news last week; they were coming up here to picket a couple of soldier's funerals for teasons put forth in this thread.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, can any sane person logically explain to me how Iraq and gays in America are related?

I think I'm gonna buy some server space, shutthehellupphelps.com

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

I am in awe.

--j_k

Link: Google News

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Oh, that's easy -

1. America is tolerant of homosexuals and their lifestyle - meaning we don't burn them at the stake.

2. God dislikes homosexuals and must punish people and organizations that offer aid and succor to the dreaded homosexual, even passive assistance by not actively burning them en masse.

3. God is expressing His displeasure by
  1. Unleashing AIDS
  2. Inflicting the 9/11 strikes against the US
  3. Allowing to die, if not outright slaughtering US troops in Iraq
  4. All of the above

I think this idiot changes his answer on a monthly basis.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
<- - - The Dreaded Homosexual

But you can call me Your Dreadedness [Big Grin]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "dreaded" is not a term that people who are against homosexuality use.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not, but "Your Dreadedness" is a pretty cool title.

On a slightly related note, this is just the opinion of a cartoonist, but it's kind of fun.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred will be happy to explain it for you himself
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
<- - - The Dreaded Homosexual

But you can call me Your Dreadedness [Big Grin]

*snicker*

-Trevor

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
This guy makes me sick. Those people died for their country.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I will point out that active soldiers often attend the funerals of their friends.

This guy may be in for a rude, but well deserved surprise.

-Trevor

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well deserved indeed...
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I didn't think Phelps could be more offensive. I guess when you're a foamy-mouthed zealot, you can always one-up yourself. What amazes me is this pathetic excuse for a human being has any followers at all.

This was cool:
quote:
the Kansas contingent [Phelp's misbegotten followers] tried shouting its anti-homosexual message at mourners who overflowed from the church. But every time demonstrators spoke out, the 14-man Boston Police Department bagpipe band broke into thunderous sound.

"I thought that was cool," said Day Newburg, 34, who stood outside the church with her husband, mother-in-law and 2-year-old daughter. "Those bagpipers drowned them right out."

latimes story
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
I want him to do something stupid (moreso than he has already), end up in a prison like Angola, and then see how he reacts to gays [Razz]

Now THAT would be a rude awakening!

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.