FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tech support help.... Please?

Author Topic: Tech support help.... Please?
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm being slowly driven crazy. I'm a former IT support professional, but I havent done it professionally for about 2 years. In that time I gave up on computers for anything but light recreational use. Now, I have a laptop that is going buggy and I cant fix it.

At least once during every session, the explorer.exe program freezes up. It makes the processor run at 99-100 percent, and doesnt stop until I end the program manually. This doesnt only happen when I'm actually running Windows Explorer. I'll notice that my computer is suddenly running really slow, check it out, and there will be explorer.exe, running at 99%. This doesnt make any sense to me. I've got good firewall, antivirus, and antiadware programs running, and they arent picking up anything unusual.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think this will help that much, but how often to you defrag your drive? that can help out a lot...
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
What operating system are you currently using?

Have you recently installed any programs?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
In Windows XP, explorer.exe is basically the whole user interface. One major thing to consider is how much RAM is being used by your system vs. how much you have. if you have less than about 20-30% of your RAM free, you run too many background processes for the ammount of RAM you have, and Windows starts using the hard drive as RAM, which is remarkably slow. Access to this process is controlled by explorer.exe. You should probably try shutting down all startup processes you don't need through msconfig.exe (just type msconfig in the run prompt and hit enter). If that doesn't fix things, you may need to get better antivirus and spyware removal software. BTW, Norton and McAfee are big names, but their database is seriously lacking. I've always been able to find more viruses with AVG than with either. As far as Adware Removal, Ad Aware is excellent for finding stuff while Spy Bot is great for blocking stuff. Yeah. That's about all I can tell you.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm running XP, and the only program I've recently installed is Warez, a peer to peer software program. i defrag often, and I'm running the AVG antivirus already (it IS much better), and I've got both adaware and SpyDoctor running.

I did seem to have a disportionate amount of programs running at startup, but I had already cleaned out my registry of things that I didnt think were necessary. I went ahead and killed the "performance enhancing" programs that came with the laptop, and some other things that I'm hoping werent really necessary. We'll see.

Thanks for the advice, all [Smile] .

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, how much ram *do* you have?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Warez is evil. Use Ares instead. Same network, same setup, not ad supported.

http://www.aresgalaxy.org/

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.