FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Xavier Needs a New Author Thread

Author Topic: The Xavier Needs a New Author Thread
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Its that time again boys and girls!

Xavier is looking to try a new author. Last time I tried this was with Lois McMaster Bujold, and I wasn't impressed. I got her(?) name off of the SF/Fantasy top 100 list. I had lots of faith in the list because the top ten was mostly my favorite authors.

I think McMaster is more of a young adult author though. The book I read of hers was Young Miles, and I got really bored halfway through. Wasn't really my cup of tea, but I could see myself loving it if I were 12 years old.

In order to give a better impression of what I like, to further assist you in choosing my next author, I will describe what I think of some of the books I have read.

Okay, so here goes...

My favorite series of books is by far the A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R. R. Martin. They rock my world [Wink] . I've read everything else by him I could get my hands on, but nothing connected half so much with me. ASOIAF: A+

Before I read those books, my favorite author was OSC, and I still love rereading his older stuff. Most everything before 1992 gets between a B+ and an A+, along with Pastwatch and Enchantment.

I'm also into Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos. I read Ilium, and liked it some, but not nearly as much. Hyperion: A

I just finished Robin Hobb's Tawny Man. I've read the Farseer Trilogy, the Bingtown Trader's Trilogy, and now the Tawny Man. These books are the only ones that have been able to capture me since I read ASOIAF, but I admit they have their flaws. Book one and two of the Tawny Man were pretty boring, but the third one wrapped up the series pretty well. Farseer: B+, Bingtown: B, Tawny Man: B-

I've read the Sword of Truth series up till Pillar's of Creation, which I thought was terrible. I rated the series a C+ when I started that book, and now its a C-.

I've read up to Winter's Heart in the Robert Jordan books, and will not read the rest. I wish I had stopped at the end of book 4 (which I actually did enjoy a lot). D-

I read Otherworld, and would give it a C- or D+.
I started reading Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and didn't get past halfway through book one. It took me a month to get that far, and I am a fast reader. I bought all the books though, and might try to start them again...

I really liked Dune, but could take or leave all the rest of the dune books.

Lord of the Rings I liked, but the pacing was sooooooo slooooooow. I didn't really get into it until book two. Which is the reason I didn't get through MS&T book one I think.

Lots of Steven King, who is a mixed bag for me. Loved the Stand. Didn't really get into the Dark Tower. Loved the Long Walk (twisted book that it was).

I read a lot of Micheal Crichton in junior high, but outgrew him when I realized that good books have actual characters in them.

I read Harry Potter and enjoyed them. I liked book three way better than the rest of them. Good entertainment, but they don't stick with me as much as they do other people.

I read two Dan Brown books, hated Digital Fortress, but was entertained by Da Vinci code. I treated Da Vinci code like I would a popcorn movie. Fun, fluffy, and not something to take seriously.

Read a couple John Grisham. I put those in the same category as Micheal Crichton. Good reads, but no real characters, and lawyer books aren't really my thing.

Mostly the rest are books written by an author which I only read one book of... Nothing stands out in my mind as worth mentioning. I'm sure I am forgetting a lot though... Perhaps I should say that Stranger in a Strange land wasn't that good, IMHO. Pretty boring actually. I read Red Mars, and wasn't interested enough to buy the sequals... I've read 1984 and Prayer for Owen Meany... I hated the only Greg Bear book I started...

Oh I read Arthur C. Clarke's Rama books in high school. They were too inconsistent for my tastes, but I am glad I read them.

I guess mostly I am looking for an author to add to my favorite list. I can't bear the thought that there is another George R. R. Martin left out there for me to find. Plus, I've pretty much exhausted the books written by the other's I know.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If you liked Hyperion Cantos, try another Dan Simmon's - Darwin's Blade. I found it to be an excellent read.

Dean Koontz has always been a favorite of mine. If you want one of his that's sci-fi-e try Lightning.

I noticed you didn't include any Asimov on your list. If you like Dune, try Foundation.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Zelazny used to hang with George, I think, and his stuff... well his *older* stuff...ranges from very good to absolutely amazing. In the couple of years before he died he made some cheap, off the cuff things clearly just for income and they weren't nearly as good as his stuff prior to finishing the Chronicles of Amber (some time around '93-94, I think).

Have you not read any Douglas Adams?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Brust and Octavia Butler are two of my favorites that it seems you haven't read.

With Brust I'd start with the first of his "main" series, Jhereg. It's his first book, but it's quite good, and he gets better. Interesting characters, very fun narrative voice - it's a fantasy-type book, swords and magic, but an unique world.

Octavia Butler is an African-American female SF writer - quite rare, I imagine. Her characters remind me of OSC's - they tend to dig into the moral problems that have come about as a result of the SF world they're in. There's not one book of hers that falters, but I think the best start would be in the Xenogenesis/Lilith's Brood series: Dawn, Adulthood Rites, and Imago. It's sometimes difficult to find her work in the library, but most chain bookstores carry at least a few of her novels.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should give Lois McMaster Bujold another try. One of the greatest things about the Vorkosigan series (IMO) is that Miles actually grows up throughout the series. He doesn't just age, he changes, and matures, and you don't notice it unless you read one of the earlier ones and one of the later ones close together. So yes, in Young Miles, Miles acts like a 17 or 18 year old. Because he is one. But he grows up. It's the most realistic portrayal of a character's growth that I've ever read. Most authors don't even bother trying, LMB does it naturally.

I would suggest you try reading Brothers in Arms if you want more mature stories. It's 3 novellas, the first one in the book is the best, but they're all great. And definately not written for 12 year olds.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
One author that I'm enjoying right now is Vernor Vinge. It's fairly hard SF, which isn't everybody's taste. But he writes very well. Try A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Adam: Good Omens is the only thing by Pratchett I have read. I suppose I should read Diskworld if I want to give him a shot?

JT: I've never head of that Simmon's book, but you can be sure I will read it sometime soon [Smile] . As far as Asimov, I read a "Lucky Star and the..." book which had three of those stories in it. I credit it for getting my into Sci-Fi (in sixth grade). I was reading some of it a year or so ago, and couldn't believe that I was so into that book. I guess it is a kids book though [Smile] . The only other thing was OSC's story set in the Foundation world, which is by far my least favorite OSC short story... I read "Fear Nothing" by Dean Koontz, and actually liked it a lot. Perhaps I will try reading the series you mentioned.

Jim: I knew someone was going to mention DNA. I haven't, but I'm not sure I want to. I've never really been into comedy books. I started read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett and wasn't that interested. I may read the first chapter of HGttG someday, just to give it a shot. No high hopes though, and it even if I enjoyed it, I doubt it would stick to me like the more serious stuff does. Roger Zelazny eh? Haven't heard of him, what book would I start with?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Silverberg is also pretty good, IMO. I enjoyed the Lord Valentine books.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the impression that you love character-driven sf/fantasy and that you like fast-paced fiction. Am I close? What else do you like?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
From what you've said, you might consider reading Dean Koontz (pick any older book; they're all the same) or Clive Barker. You've got a bit of a military tint to your preferences, and prefer action to character and/or setting, so you might also appreciate early Tom Clancy and/or Glen Cook. Saberhagen's Swords books and Greg Benford's Galactic Core series might also be high-concept entries that you'd enjoy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I get the impression that you love character-driven sf/fantasy
Couldn't have said it better myself [Smile] .

quote:
and that you like fast-paced fiction.
Well, perhaps. Its not like I need action and adventure on every page, or even for the story to advance in a fast manner. Its more like, I need something of interest happening or I get bored. Like in LOTRs where Tolkien would three and a half pages on what they had for breakfast. That sort of thing would drive me nuts. There are plenty of scenes in The Dragonbone Chair I could use as an example.

More on my tastes...

I love good dialog. Pages upon pages without dialog lose my interest.

I like having at least one female character I am interested in. For instance, if Hermione wasn't in Harry Potter, it wouldn't be as interesting for me. A Song of Ice and Fire is great, having Dany, Arya, Sansa, Asha, Lyanna, Ygrette, Cersie, and many others.

Its not a requirement, but I like having a love story in the book. It doesn't have to be center stage, but its nice to have one. For instance, the Robin Hobb books wouldn't even have made my list if I wasn't so interested in Molly and Fitz (with the eventual heartbreak). Or enchantment without Ivan and Katerina. Then again Ender's Game had no love interest, and its still one of my all time favorite books. So again, not a requirement...

More later, need to work now [Wink] .

Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
From what you've said, you might consider reading Dean Koontz (pick any older book; they're all the same) or Clive Barker. You've got a bit of a military tint to your preferences, and prefer action to character and/or setting, so you might also appreciate early Tom Clancy and/or Glen Cook. Saberhagen's Swords books and Greg Benford's Galactic Core series might also be high-concept entries that you'd enjoy.
Tom: I wouldn't say I prefer action to character at all. I do enjoy action, but the books with memorable characters are by far my favorite. ASOIAF has literally hundreds of characters I could give a biography on, with a few core characters I almost feel I know in real life. Also considering that Orson Scott Card books pretty much defined my teenage years, I again am baffled that you would think that.

Edit: Though you have a point about not being that interested in setting. I practically skim pages that are just the author describing the setting.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Man Tom, that was cool.

Maybe if I post my favorite books, you can tell me what I enjoy in my reading, so I can whittle down the new stuff.

I'm not being sarcastic, I never stop to think - well, I like character novels, or I like space tales. I just pick up a book and if the blurb or first few pages are good, I go with it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered any Bob Mayer/Robert Doherty books? (both those names are the same person). The Area 51 books?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Well, I'd recommend jumping right in to Amber... you might see book club editions that are The Chronicles of Amber Vol. I & II or, separately as Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon, and The Courts of Chaos

Some (very little) of the dialogue in the very first book is a little clumsy, but it's more than worth the ride.

If you want to start smaller, you might try grabbing one of his short story collections, like Unicorn Variations, The Last Defender of Camelot, Frost and Fire,or My Name is Legion (three novellas, rather than short stories).

Also Lord of Light is awesome, but a little slow starting...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Allen Cole / Chris Bunch.

In particular, try the Sten series for the character driven / action inclusive sci-fi series.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed because I think your tastes and mine are nearly identical. In fact, where Jon Boy and I disagree on books, you sided with me every time. It was a little eerie.

When I'm not at work, I'll write you up a list of my faves.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Yay!

Edit: Oh and I have been making a list with the suggestions on this thread. I plan on reading a chapter of each until I find one I like a lot, and then having the list as reference when I am done [Smile] .

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, Brothers in Arms is not three novellas. Are you perhaps thinking of Borders of Infinity?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Xav-- Sean Stewart's contemporary fantasies 'Resurrection Man' and 'Galveston' are wonderful.

His 'Nobody's Son' is equally enchanting.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon are pretty great, too.
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I must second Jim-Me's recommendation of Roger Zelazny. I would say start with The Great Book of Amber which is all ten Chronicles of Amber, Lord of Light, or one of his short story story collections. Which of course is what he said. Great minds think alike.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, what about Heinlein or have you already read most of the older SF greats and are looking for newer authors?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Since our tastes are virtually identical, judging by your list, I also suggest Pratchett. And Gaiman and Heinlein (you might like his later stuff--try Farnham's Freehold, Friday, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress).
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I ended up getting the Zelazny The Great Book of Amber and Octavia Butler's series that Jhai suggested.

I fully intended to pick up a Pratchett book, but I forgot to write down the book I should start with. I opened the books, and they all said "A Diskworld Novel" as if that helps! There's only 50 of them [Smile] .

I'm willing to give Heinlen another shot sometime, but not just yet. From what I have read of Sandman, Neil Gaiman's is a very creative writer. I started American God's in Barnes and Noble once, but didn't get very far before having to leave. I had just gotten to the part where the, woman, does the thing, with the guy, which was very very strange [Wink] .

The good news is that I found most everyone's recommendations at my local B&N [Smile] .

And don't stop recommending things now. This thread has given me tons of good suggestions, and am interested more [Smile] .

Its amazing that Frisco and Brinestone have said that about my list. I am interested in hearing more from you two as to what in particular we have in common.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, we disagree on the Dark Tower series. I loved it. Where did you stop? Did you know when reading The Gunslinger that it was the prologue to a looooong story?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, I didn't like Bujold either, but I just read the newest books, and let me tell you...what a difference!

I LOVE them, and I can't wait to read the next one. I actually read them out of order, and since I hate that more than anything else when reading a series I thought the second book was going to ruin the first, but it didn't at all!

The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls were two of the best books I have read in years. I was impressed with the concept of magic in this world, it is unlike most I have read in the past.

I read Card's book on writing years ago, and it really affected the way I judge a series. His point about magic was that it should always come at a cost, and the more dramatic the power the more dramatic a sacrifice should be required. I saw some people recommend Octavia Butler above, and she is a perfect example of this type of writing. As a matter of fact I bought her books based on a recommendation of her by a friend who had read Card's book on writing as well, and he told me she was a very good example of this point.

I didn't like Bujold before this, and said here a few times, but in this series I begin to see what everyone else liked about it, and I really am excited about reading the third book whenever it comes out.

Not as much as GRRM' s new book, but close. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much to offer. I also have Hobb and Martin at the top of my current list of favorites.

I would suggest WATCHERS by Dean Koontz. Some of his stuff is just a quick fun read. I've never been disapointed but some of it is pretty forgetable, like VELOCITY, which just came out. It was ok, but .. well, WATCHERS is by far my favorite of his.

You may also like Elizabeth Hayden's RHAPSODY trilogy. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good bit of action and romance and I really enjoyed the magic system used. It was based largely on music and true naming of things.

This will probably bring some laughs but I also love Brian Jacques. I just read RAKKETY TAM last night. I know every story is exactly the same but I love them. Just a really fun read. They do however lean towards the YA side, but as I teach 8th grade reading, that has never bothered me.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first two Dark Tower books, Eddie. I read the first understanding that people had told me it wasn't nearly as good as the next ones. They were right, it was average at best.

Then I read drawing of the three and I liked it a lot. WAY better than the first one. I have The Wastelands, but haven't read more than 10 pages of it or so. They kill some electronic bear thing right? By shooting it in the antenna thing? I thought it started kind of weird, and I'm pretty sure I started reading some other book, setting that one aside. I do plan on picking it up again sometime.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw- *hits self on head* I really hope I bought my boyfriend the right one the other day....
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

That was me posting as Val. [Embarrassed]
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, GREAT decision on the Great Book of Amber.

GREAT decision. You won't regret it. From Zelazny you can branch out in several different directions, but I'd second the suggestion of looking up the work of Stephen Brust when you're done with Zelazny. Brust is sort of carrying on the legacy of Zelazny. (A thing which he acknowledges -- Zelazny is his favorite author). But he's still unique and impressive.

And, not to add too much to the laundry list of stuff people have mentioned here, but from your tastes I have just *got* to suggest this.

Have you read the Chronicles of Sir Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry Pratchett quotes

Near the bottom of the page: Discworld Book Guide
There are several main characters or sets of characters. Each main character or set of characters has several books. You can read those in order, if you want. There are also independent books in which the main characters may play a secondary role. One of my favorites is "The Truth," probably because I work at a newspaper. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, start into Discworld. I did and I'm so glad, it's a kick in the pants. If you haven't read any Douglas Adams, you need to do that too. All of it.

I second the votes for Heinlein and Asimov. I love RH becaue he doesn't spoonfeed you into his universe and I love Asimov because he's as detailed as Tolkien with just as much awesome back story.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

So I'm on page 250 or something in the "Great Book of Amber", which is in the beginning of book 3.

Book one started pretty cool, but then got a little hokey. But right when I started to lose interest, Zelazny would change the direction of the story and it would entertaining again.

Book two I liked a lot better, and I couldn't put it down. Book three seems to be starting off quite interesting [Smile] . Thanks for the recommendation!

Oh and Brinestone, I am waiting patiently for your favorites list [Wink] .

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst, Xavier, it's your turn. [Wink]

Oh, and try reading Master of the Five Magics and sequels. They're quick, interesting, maybe not the greatest writing in the world, but still very fun. A shame they're out of print.

And there's Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy, also fun.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I would offer to lend you The Curse of Chalion in case you wanted to give Bujold another chance, but Bob dropped it in the toilet at the dentist's office.

Edit: this was an accident, not a comment on the book, which he quite enjoyed.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT read The Chosen by Ricardo Pinto.

If someone gives you this book, they are NOT your friend.

(ask Tom D.)

The only worse book is the sequel.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Howell
Member # 8072

- posted      Profile for Peter Howell           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Guy Gavriel Kay! Are his books harder to find south of 49 or something? The Fianovar Tapestry (a trilogy: The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, and The Darkest Road) is the epitome of the whole "magic trade-off" concept. And The Lions of Al-Rassan (if you liked Dany's chapters in ASoIaF, you'll love this one... just give it a bit of time to warm up. I seem to recall it starting slowly) is, to date, one of the very few books that has caused me to weep openly.

[ July 05, 2005, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Peter Howell ]

Posts: 70 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Octavia Butler has two new (to me) short stories at scifi.com:
http://tinyurl.com/defmc
http://tinyurl.com/e2tq5

If it hadn't been for this thread, I would have never googled one of my favorite authors! [Smile] If you like these short stories, you'll like Butler's other works - they have a very similar tone.

Also, have you heard of Ted Chiang? He's only published one collection of short stories, but they're very very good. Interesting ideas/plots, excellent characters, wonderful tone. One of his short stories is also availible online:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/under.htm
It's not my favorite of his stories, but it's pretty good.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.