FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Patience and last names

Author Topic: Patience and last names
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing something in working with bookkeeping. People toward the beginning of the alphabet use more credit cards. They request more often to have statements mailed to them. People with names in the middle of the alphabet pay in advance more often and comply with instructions with greater density. Toward the end of the alphabet there starts to be a looser attitude- they don't reply to mailings right away.

I am picturing these people in school as kids- the early alphabet names go first, get that instant gratification, then have to wait around bored while the class finishes. The middle group has their anticipation rewarded after an ample wait. The final group waits, but with a fatalistic acceptance that nothing is going to change anytime soon.

I wonder if there are patterns of last names in who seeks bankruptcy or divorce or induction of birth(I would expect to see the earlier in the alphabet names) or in antidepressant use, and use of anaesthesia (I would expect to see the later names). I don't think one could predict how someone will turn out from their last name, but I think if one looked at the data of a population, these patterns might appear. After all, it is the sort of thing that will afflict a person susceptible to circumstance more than a proactive person.

And of course people get married. I started life as a C and married a V. I have continually been amazed at my husband's endurance through what seems to me absurdly unfavorable circumstances.

I certainly don't think anyone's fate is determined by their name. Often, I think just being aware of a tendency is enough to keep from acting on it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's totally fascinating.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.

I've never heard anyone draw that conclusion before. I am certainly a lazy person from the R-Z group.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the cutoff in your "middle of the alphabet" and "end of the alphabet" observations? Mine begins with P

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Having a last name that starts with an M, I can tell you something about our waiting habits in school. One thing that was always true, was that when the teacher got to L, there were still a lot of people left before getting to Meyer. First all the Ls, which usually are plentiful, then I would have to wait through all the names starting with Mc. Like McCormick or McDonald. Then the Ma names, which there were usually a couple of. Then there was always one Me that was before me.

So it would go something like LaRock, Lewis, Lawrence, McCormick, McDonald, Martin, Mentor, Meyer.

So I would be waiting for my name to be next for like five minutes. I wonder if there's a personality trait corresponding with that...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing about middle-of-the-alphabet people like you, Phil:

Sometimes teachers, in order to be "fair" decide to reverse order -- and go from the end of the alphabet backwards.

Either way, you're still in the middle.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
So true!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
As a U with a mom who was a Z, I can say that the whole "going backwards" thing weirds out end-of-alphabet kids. I'm prone to daydreaming because I know I'll always be last in everything. I'm a destructive procrastinator because I'm used to having alot of waiting time before I do anything. I was never first to give a report in class or first to walk across the stage for assemblies.

Interesting idea. I see the validation. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned that kind of a theory to me.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My last name starts with a T. I can vouch for the reversing the order freaking me out too.

"What!? I have to go NOW!?"

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really fascinating, great observation!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I took my wife from a Y to a C. I'll have to ask her if she's noticed any difference.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born a W, married a W, and then had my lastname legally chaged to my grandmother's maiden name (C). What does that say about my personality?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a B, but I'm unclear as to the implications for the beginning of the alphabet.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this theory. I'm a W, and I don't reply promptly to mailings, email, or much else. I generally have about a dozen "I need to do this sometime fairly soon" things going on in my head, instead of just getting them out of the way.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I am an E, with a very lax bookkeeping attitude. And my teachers rarely went backwards. Explain that one!
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anonymous Antecedent
Member # 4495

- posted      Profile for Anonymous Antecedent   Email Anonymous Antecedent         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder if there are patterns of last names in who seeks bankruptcy or divorce or induction of birth(I would expect to see the earlier in the alphabet names)
I'm a bankrupt who was induced - my surname starts with 'B'.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I'm an H... Though going with the 'middle' of the alphabet is fairly trivial. For example, I notice that there are a lot of last names that start with A, B, C, and D... but not so many with E, F, G, H, or I. J you get quite a few.

So, while I'm at 8 in the Alphabet, I was usually thrown in the middleish-front of the classrooms from how many A-Ds there were and then pushed forward by S and Ws.

Though you know, you might be onto something with this...

(Edit: Just grabbed a yearbook of mine. There are 13 total pages of students. I am at the bottom of page 5. That means I am roughly at the middleish-front.

Going for technicallity, I should be at about the middle of page four and not towards the end of 5.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an A and a terrible procrastinator. A counterexample, I guess.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Is S at the end? I know I am a lazy person. I do not expect anything from anyone, but that includes myself. I like speculative fiction, and my favorite drugs are narcotics. I put stuff off until the last minute, or ignore it until it goes away.

Cool theory. I think I like it.

Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Why yes, I do believe you are. In dividing the 26 by 3, you find that it is not a nice number... (8.6 continuous) That means roughly 9 letters to determine the placement.

A-I is technically the beggining.
J-R is technically the middle.
S-Z is technically the End.

However, in using my year book, the S names are on half of 9 and goes to the bottom of 10. This is out of 13 pages.

So, in doing the math, you find that for beggining, middle, and end in 13 is rougly 4. Because you are on 8+, you are also, in surname alphabetical order frequency, in the end.

Put simply. Yes, you're in the end.

(Edit: I can spell!)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so interesting!

And you know what's weird, is that in English, my last name is W... so I'm at the end. But in Hebrew, my last name starts with a ו which is the sixth letter in the Hebrew alphabet. So all my life I've been used to being at the end, but whenever I'm in Israel, it always takes me by surprise when my name is called before about 70% of the class!

You've totally aroused my curiosity, mothertree! I'm going to be watching out for this now.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Better move back to the States before you go bankrupt then.... [Wink]
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tatiana my initial theory would support As being procrastinators because they aren't used to perservering.

I was just noticing that all the people on this payroll, which is a non-profit, are toward the end of the alphabet. I wonder if people toward the end of the alphabet are more likely to find martyrdom gratifying. Again, not a scientifically valid study.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it. I'm changing my name to an unpronounceable symbol. I shall henceforth be known as "The Hatracker Formerly Known as Tante Shvester".

Keep 'em guessing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
One other thing about middle-of-the-alphabet people like you, Phil:

Sometimes teachers, in order to be "fair" decide to reverse order -- and go from the end of the alphabet backwards.

Either way, you're still in the middle.

Exactly. When I was growing up, my last name was Aaronson. I can't remember not being the first (or last on occasions like the ones you mention). Now it's Liel, and I'm smack dab in the middle.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
So THAT'S what is wrong with me! I have been trying to figure it out my whole life. I was an S and my mother was a B so I drove her nuts. I am motivaionally challenged (so much better than lazy), divorced, in debt, and a mother to an almost induced baby (she came without induction on her induction date).

I think I will call my therapist and ask for a refund for all those years I paid him to try and figure out what was wrong with me. It was all my name.

I am currently an M and have been coping so much better since my marriage! [Smile]

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in elementary school, the entire amount of thought that I put into what I wanted my future husband to be like was this: his last name would be somewhere between F and P. (I'm an S, and hated being at the end of the alphabet--but I also didn't want to be at the very beginning!)

Luckily, Ben's last name starts with an H. [Wink]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.