FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lightsaber Colours

Author Topic: Lightsaber Colours
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Lightsabers are cool devices, and though they are much more swordlike than gunlike, they have nice powers beyond that.

My question is - since lightsabers come in various colours - does that have any meaning? Count Dooku and Palpie (sp?) have red; Obi-Wan and Anakin have blue and green (which has which, though, I don't remember); Yoda has GREEN; Windu has violet.

What does this mean? Is red a colour of Separatisrs or Sith lords? Green = good?

I haven't seen the original trilogy for a while, though, so I forgot much there.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The crystals determine the colors, and as far as I know, it's personal preference.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Do they make any difference? Or did Lucas put it there for decorative eye-catch?
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Extended Universe, I think Leia gets a red one, but that's only from me seeing an action figure of her [Wink] . I think the original plan was to have Mace with a red one.

Luke also had green (which he made himself), and so did Qui-Gon.

Anakin and Obi-Won both ended up with blue ones. Anakin's blue one ended up with Luke for ANH and ESB.

Mace obviously had purple.

Ballista from Knights of the Old Republic had a yellow one.

I don't think red necessarily means the dude is a sith. I think the traditions are pretty strong in that direction though.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
They function the same.

There are some in the books that have adjustable lengths and whatnot, but the color doesn't affect that.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, Samuel L. Jackson specifically requested violet.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
Anakin and Obi-Won both ended up with blue ones.
Why, because they ruined half their lightsabers?

And how did Anakin recover his arm at the end of Episode II, after Dookey chopped it off?

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
He got that God awful gold robot hand. He even held Padme's hand with it when they got married.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

He didn't, he got a prosthetic one. Remember in Ep. III he always had on a glove on his right hand.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Jinx!
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Vader's is red, too, as were Darth Maul's double ended sabers...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...didn't Luke have a blue one? I just watched Empire Strikes Back last night (first time in fifteen years), and I remember a blue one and a red one battling.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I think Luke had a blue, and then a green after Vader chopped his arm off.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Kat:

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Anakin and Obi-Wan both ended up with blue ones. Anakin's blue one ended up with Luke for ANH and ESB.

here's one for you... do the Sith suck so bad that Anakin can't jump over Obi-wan without losing every limb he's got, but Obi-wan can leap over Darth Maul, from a hanging position, lower down, and no lightsaber in hand and Maul just stands there? After, up to that point, kicking two Jedi's butts?

*sigh* Ray Park should have been allowed free rein to write all the fights...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas said in an interview somewhere that the bad guys have red and the good guys have blue and green (Mace Windu excepted). I have no idea why there would need to be such a system.

"You can tell I'm a bad guy 'cause I've got a red saber!"

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Lucas was writing a Western, and you can tell the bad guys by their black hats.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, it's a Lucas thing.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Katie: Ah, of course!

Black and red = evil
Blue and green and tan = good

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think Luke had a blue, and then a green after Vader chopped his arm off."

Luke's blue one should have been Anakin's blue one, which answers the question above.

I think the place to see if red = sith would be in the battle scene in Attack of the clones, where there are dozens of Jedi. There shouldn't be any sith in there, so if there are red lightsabers, then they don't have to be Sith.

I do think there is a corollation though. And although Windu's was purple, it works out nicely that he actually uses the dark side, but isn't a sith. Purple is sort of red and blue mixed.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King's Man
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for King's Man   Email King's Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever thought about how stupid lightsabers really are. Think about it, its a laser beam that only comes to a certain point and can clash against another one?! Now, a plasma sword with an electro-magnetic bottle around the blade could work. The magnet only allows the plasma to come so far and would still allow it to pass through just about everything. Plasma blades could clash because of the repulsion of magnetic fields. In fact, thats just about the only thing that would stop the blade. Think how dangerous such a weapon could be. Oh well, it will probably never happen.
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You might argue the colors represent emotional states.

For example, strong negative emotions, Red.

A lightsaber is supposed to be in tune with the Jedi that makes it.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I would like to know more about Mace's dark/light side usage, where was that written about?
TMedina
Member # 6649

Don't apply logic to Star Wars - it'll make your head hurt.

Besides, I want a chainsword.

-Trevor

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The laser could be figure 8.

Though I can't explain the clashing against each other. Or how you focus a laser into a figure 8.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, that's pretty much how it's described as working in one of the RPG sourcebooks.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King's Man
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for King's Man   Email King's Man         Edit/Delete Post 
And has anyone ever realized that if its a laser beam, all you need is a mirror to stop it. [Smile]
Posts: 36 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King's Man
Member # 8147

What, that it's a plasma sword?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Some magnetic field refracts it back to the hilt - it's moving up on the outer portion and in on the inner portion. The power consumption is relatively small unless it's cutting something because the returning beam's energy is used.

I ain't saying it makes sense. Just that that's how it's been explained.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I saw a book that said it generated a field that allowed matter in, but not out... and that the heat and light were the result of all that matter being dissembled within the field... also that the fields repelled each other, hence the sword-like usage...

but with that in mind, it shouldn't be *deflecting* blasters, but absorbing them.

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

quote:
KoM
It's not KoM.

What about a Freudian explanation? That it represents secret desires? Red - agression; blue/green - sex addiction.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

No, I think it's more like this:

red = sexual aggression
blue/green = sexual repression

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
How Lightsabers Work

(Edited to add: and now I see they've added a recurring disclaimer. Hmmph. I liked it better deadpan...)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

Why not have red, blue and green as a threesome?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Because that would be giving in to the id, which leads to the dark side.
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
In the "Knights of the Old Republic" video game they explained the colors as as:

Blue = Jedi Guardian -- the "warrior order" portion of the Jedi, who were more fighters than anything
Green = Jedi Consular -- the "mystical order" who were more concerned with 'pure Force use' -- the wizards, if you will
Yellow = Jedi, um, the 3rd class that nobody played, supposed to be kind of a mixture that just didn't end up working all that well
Red = Sith

Thing was, you could stil mix your colors, and nobody ever said anything -- even if you immediately put a red crystal in your 1st saber. And you could find purple crystals and at the end game there was an orange crystal and a whitish-blue crystal too that gave the blades even more power.

So that game probably isn't the best thing to go on. . . .

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Haloed Silhouette:
Why not have red, blue and green as a threesome?

Because then you'd have a computer monitor... and those things are just two darned heavy to use as a weapon...
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Important Safety Information
A lightsaber is not a toy! Keep it out of reach of children at all times. Lightsaber locks are required in most states.

There are two ends to any lightsaber -- one end has the belt ring, while the other end houses the blade arc tip and blade emitter. NEVER point the blade emitter of a lightsaber toward your own body. NEVER look down the "barrel" of a lightsaber, even if you are "sure" it is in safe mode. If you accidentally activate the lightsaber, serious injury could result.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about a Freudian explanation? That it represents secret desires?
Freud sucks eggs! [Taunt]

My lightsaber is maize-colored. I was trying to decide between that and avocado. You see, maize would coordinate with my kitchen decor, and avocado would make a nice contrast.

I use my lightsaber often in the kitchen. Nothing boils water faster. And it is great for broiling meats. I have a great recipe for roasted vegetables -- just toss your eggplants, peppers, portabella mushrooms in the air and saber them as they fall.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading somewhere (Wikipedia I think) That the lightsaber's color, while usually a matter of preference, was different for each type of Jedi (Guardian, consular, etc). Linky
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the lightsaber's color, while usually a matter of preference, was different for each type of Jedi (Guardian, consular, etc).
That's just a myth.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.