FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Friends, Hatrackers, countrymen! Lend me your cheese! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Friends, Hatrackers, countrymen! Lend me your cheese!
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Recommendations, that is.

This weekend, I'm going to visit the every-cheese-I-can-imagine store, and I'm looking to expand my cheese horizons. Up till recently, I've been a very basic cheddar-and-mozzarella type gal. It's time for something yummy.

So, give me a cheese, what is it like, how can I use it? Give me something yummy to fill my tummy.

(edited for spelnig)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Gouda! Brie! Camembert! San Paulene!

*drools*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the names of cheese! [Razz]

But what are they like? Aged or not? Hard or soft? How is it best eaten?

(I do really enjoy camembert, on a crusty roll, preferably.)

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm sorry, I'm busy drooling here.

I'll tell you about them later . . .

*goes off to find some cheese*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Stilton, at room temperature,with slices of apple or pear.

(Wishing I could find a kosher Stilton.)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Brie is sort of like Camembert, but milder and creamier, with a very slightly nutty aftertaste. I like it best with whole-wheat crackers. I prefer Danish Brie and Camembert to French (although those are nice too).

Gouda is a very mellow cheese, and aged (but not for long). It melts very well, and makes absolutely marvelous toasted cheese sandwiches. Especially with a few slices of tomato . . .

San Paulene is French? Swiss? and has a very distinctive orange rind. Aged. Very delicate flavor, but a somewhat strong aftertaste. Another good melting cheese.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Eaquae, if you want a good cheddar, I recommend Cabot's aged cheddar:
http://www.cabotcheese.com/f1.tmpl?left=menu-ourproducts.html&right=products-aged.html
I have tried either the Classic Vermont Vintage Choice or Private Stock, I can't remember which. The one I've tried a couple of times said on the label "hand-picked by the vice-pres of production." It's about $8/lb.
After cheddar ages a considerable time (1 year?) the flavor changes, instead of getting sharper it mellows more and becomes more nuanced. The one I tried (twice) was not as sharp as I expected, but very delicious.
I have never seen the Classic Old School--aged 5 years? I wonder what it tastes like?

Try some smoked Gouda, that's one of my favorites.
Or Fontina, a mild cheese that's good with fruit, and melts well.
http://www.oldeuropecheese.com/fontina.phtml

Chevre is a mild goat cheese, very spreadable, perfect for crackers. I like it better than feta goat cheese, which is very strong and overpowering.

A good listing of cheese types with links I just googled:
http://cheese.joyousliving.com/CheeseListType.aspx

BTW, Cabot is the only brand I linked to that I've tried, I just used the other links to illustrate the cheese types.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Oh, and for the record, the thought of something like blue cheese makes me ill. No visible mould in my cheese, please.
Morbo
Member # 5309

AWwww, you're no fun. [Frown]

Another page about cheese types I just googled:
http://www.frencheese.co.uk/glossary/glossary.cfm/lexiconID/21

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not into strong cheese, but I highly recommend a good brie, warm, with some nice crackers. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man...cheese, glorious cheese.

There are so many, and it's all a matter of personal taste and changing palate. What you can't stand today could be your favorite years from now. Or vice versa.

And what you have with the cheese makes a huge difference too.

Lately, I'm very much into the milder cheeses, but there a few sharp ones that I like. What I suggest is that try to sample a variety and get what you enjoy.

don't worry about names. Just taste a few different types/styles and get what you like best.

Enjoy! Tell us how it goes.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Havarti and Fritos! [Smile]

My favorite havarti is King's Choice cream havarti. Second favorite is Dauphin. It's wonderful, especially on something salty like Fritos. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, yes, Havarti is marvelous!

*rhapsodizes*

Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite desserts is putting a slice of manchego cheese on a cracker with a bit of guava paste (or jelly). The flavors and combinations of the manchego and guava make a great combination (I tend to think of the cracker as a non-messy way of serving the goodness [Wink] ).

Manchego is a semi-firm Spanish cheese that's traditionaly made from sheep's milk. It can be pretty sharp if it's aged long enough, but I've generally had fairly mild ones.

I also adore baked brie loaves. It's a round of brie baked in a pastry and often has some fruit wrapped with it. I particularly like it with cranberry and almonds (and I generally hate cranberries!).

Other than that, I know nothing about cheese.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh mozarella....mmm, the kind that sloshes around in the container you buy it in. Slice it up and serve it with boysenberry simply fruit, or guava paste (if you have it.)

heavenly.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cream cheese.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Oh, and for the record, the thought of something like blue cheese makes me ill. No visible mould in my cheese, please.

Then never mind the Stilton. Try sampling the wonderful world of goat cheese (also known as "chevre", which is, of course, French for "goat".

I would recommend avoideing Gjestost, a brick of brown goat cheese that has a weirdly sweet taste, a habit of sticking to the roof of your mouth (not unlike peanut butter), and a flavor that is strangely peanutty, chocolatey, and cheesy, but not in a good way.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there's nothing like a good feta (a good feta, mind you--cause, let me tell you, there's nothing like a bad feta either, and thank heaven for that!).

This thread makes me DROOL.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer 1: I'm no cheese expert.

Disclaimer 2: Good cheese in Sri Lanka? Don't make me spit my food!

I recently came across a new (for me) cheese called Haloumi. It's from Cyprus, is a goat cheese (IIRC), and has some similarities to feta. It's much harder, though, and rubbery.

I followed the instructions on the package, which said to fry in oil. I then put it in our Greek salad (modified, of course. [Big Grin] ) and it tasted fantastic! Different from feta, and yet, still went extremely well.

The next day, I again fried some, and then tossed it in with our pasta.

Haloumi without frying is really rubbery and doesn't taste anywhere near as good.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Kirkham's lancashire is really good.

Homemade, from raw milk, is the best. I rarely eat cheese I didn't make myself, from raw milk, from goats I know.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not very experienced with regard to different kinds of cheese. I never tasted Gouda until I was dating my wife, whose family is from Holland. I don't think I ever even had Provolone until I was in college. Just this past year I tried Fontina for the first time.

I had the good fortune to grow up reasonably close to Cache Valley, Utah, which produces some of the best cheese in the United States. Whenever my family would drive through, we would always stop and pick up a bunch of cheese, including at least one bag of cheese curd, or squeaky cheese. I think squeaky cheese is still my favorite kind of cheese, and one of my all-time favorite snacks.

My most "exotic" cheese experiences came while I was a missionary in Central America. They don't get much imported cheese. In fact, I remember people reminiscing about a shipment of food aid from ten years earlier which contained "Kraft" cheese, which everybody found very strange and wonderful.

Cheese in Central America is locally made. It is either very moist and soft, or dry and crumbly, but always white. It is usually quite salty. It doesn't really melt. They generally crumble it over black beans, and eat it with tortillas. I became quite fond of it, except for the driest, saltiest variety.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by steven:

I rarely eat cheese I didn't make myself, from raw milk, from goats I know.

Wow. I'm impressed. I wish I knew some goats (or sheep) who would let me make cheese from their milk.

Would they mow my lawn for me, too?

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell if you're joking,
Shvester.

Sheep eat grass.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Mmmmmmmm.

I'd forgotten actually just how MUCH cheese this place has. It's imported form all over the world, and it all looked so very very good. I could have easily spent a hundred dollars, but then it would have gone bad before I plowed my way through it all. So I settled for a nice aged brie, some aged gouda, some havarti, and some provalone. I'll get some different ones next time.

The gouda is excellent! Very delicious.

The brie is pretty good, and I wish I had some rolls to go with it. I think I like camembert better, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at either.

I haven't tried the havarti yet. Does anyone have any recommendations?

And I forgot that I love provalone. Makes a very good sandwich.

Yummy!

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
pecorino romano, shredded over pasta. It's more flavorful (it's a sheep cheese) than parmesan, though less smelly.

Muenster is one of my favorites for things like deli sandwiches or melted cheese sandwiches. It's a very mild cheese, orange edible edge.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmm...gouda...I still say you need some pickled herring to go with it now [Razz] but good for you for going for the aged stuff *wants*
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find Raclette, give it a try. It's a Swiss creation that you eat melted over ham and potatoes. Fantastic!

I'll eat just about any chevre too, and I've even convinced non-goat people to like it. It's good on crusty bread or melba toast with tomatoes and fresh basil.

I'll second Lawguy on the queso latino - the cheese they make in Oaxaca, Mexico is the most fabulous thing and really quite unduplicatable. When I make Mexican food, the closest substitute I can find is farmer's cheese. It's not as stringy and rubbery, but has a similar taste.

Wensleydale! It's the Wallace and Gromit cheese, but started out as a standard British cheese. It's mild and pretty tasty and good with wheat toast and apples.

And among the American cheeses, I'm an admirer of Muenster. But don't ever try to buy Muenster in France - it's an entirely different experience!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I love havarti. Very good stuff. Boars Head brand makes a good havarti, as does some other company whose name I forget. They have like a red and yellow logo of sorts and says "Denmarks Finest!"
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite cheese is 7 year-old cheddar. They sell it at the farmer's market near my house. Exquisite. I only wish it was less expensive. It costs about $35(can.) per kilo. It tastes so good though!!! Very strong.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

7 years?? Wow, that's an old cheese. Not sure if I'd be willing to try a dairy product that old.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom needs to post about the 10-year chedddar... I didn't get close enough to that vendor's both, but he did snag me a sample of their blue cheddar. Wow that stuff had a tang.

Oh, and I just finished off my second tub of bacon cheddar spread... now I'm going to be in withdrawal again!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fromage D'Affinois (also called Bouche D'Affinois - no idea why) is *beautiful*. It's french, so you'd have to go somewhere that imports.

Simply the richest creamiest party-in-my-mouth cheese I have ever had.

Mmmm-*mmm*

*drools*

Quid, I really like Haloumi. I've started dusting it in flour before I fry it - I saw a recipe that did that - and serving it with a squeeze of lemon juice over the top. Yummy goodness.

I tend to just serve it as part of a mezze plate before dinner.

The recipe also said flaming it with ouzo at the end was lovely, but I guess no good for you and Fahim. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Okay, so my list for next time (likely in a couple weeks) is Muenster (had once bfore, with fond memories), Raclette, Haloumi, and some 5-year cheddar.
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Mizithra is nice. Sometimes they make it too salty but it goes great on anything.

My favorite is a white cheddar that is aged over 3 years at least.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Not sure if I'd be willing to try a dairy product that old.
One time I ate a dried apple that was older than me.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Aged cheddar is a fine thing. It takes a boring cheese destined for grilled cheese and taco night and creates and extraordinary cheese for the discerning pallette.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen - thanks for the tip. I shouldn't be surprised that you'd respond - the cheese is imported from Australia. [Razz] And since we have some haloumi in the fridge right now, I'll be giving that tip a try as soon as I rip that package open.

(The hummingbirds are dancing all over the jasmine and curry leaf trees in the backyard right now, five feet away from me. I love watching them when they do it. And they sound like they're having so much fun!)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brie is sort of like Camembert
Arg !!! [Wall Bash]

Noooooo !!! Brie IS NOT a sort of Camembert !

Camembert is a sort of Brie ! That's a GREAT and IMPORTANT difference ! And more exactly Camembert is a copy of Coulommiers.

Explanation : In the Moyen Âge, the town of Coulommiers in the country named Brie was well-known for his two famous cheeses. But one day, a monk of the order of hospitalier took the recipe of coulommiers, and went to the village of Camenbert, in Normandie, to produce it (not as good).

Understand ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Choobak, honey, [Kiss] saying "Brie is sort of like Camembert" means "Brie is similar to Camembert", not a type of Camembert.

Thank you for giving us the history. I had no idea.

Personally, I've never had any of the three (I don't think), although I really ought to one of these days. We can get Brie here, and Camembert, too, on a good day. Coulommiers I have never heard of.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The hummingbirds are dancing all over the jasmine and curry leaf trees in the backyard right now, five feet away from me
*jealous*

That sounds like a little paradise!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Brie is better than Camembert. (Oh, I like it runny.)

Pix
Aka "Goudabrie Whitestilton" in EQ2

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

W/r/t the brie/camembert thing, I'm not particular; I'll take either.

I am DEFINITELY going to have to buy some of one of them on the way home now, though. [Razz]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

O_O

Choobak! I didn't mean it! I'm sorry! *grovels* (also, what quid said!)

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MOUSEBENDER: Camembert, perhaps?
WENSLEYDALE: Ah! We have Camembert, yes sir.
MOUSEBENDER: You do! Excellent.
WENSLEYDALE: Yes, sir. It's, ah ..... it's a bit runny.
MOUSEBENDER: Oh, I like it runny.
WENSLEYDALE: Well, it's very runny, actually, sir.
MOUSEBENDER: No matter. Fetch hither le fromage de la Belle France! M-mmm!
WENSLEYDALE: I think it's a bit runnier than you'll like it, sir.
MOUSEBENDER: I don't care how [bleep] runny it is. Hand it over with all speed.
WENSLEYDALE: Oh .....
MOUSEBENDER: What now?
WENSLEYDALE: The cat's eaten it.

Had to do it!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

In fact, i like speak about french thing to you because without one or two hatrackers, I can't have opposition. [Big Grin]
If one are from Normandie, you could look a hard fight.

But the story is true.

And i was born at Coulommiers... [Big Grin]

((((Rivka)))) Don't take my sentenses "au pied de la lettre" [Wink]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Just to nitpickedly vent about PC's "taco night" comment....

Cheddar is NOT a Mexican cheese! (neither is velveeta, but if we have to go there I'm giving up) I don't know what it is with these blasted Americans and their weird adulterations of Mexican cuisine, but.... *shudder* ... all of that heinous oily orange grease floating about on a pile of innocent enchiladas!

Megan
Member # 5290

I have that stupid song from the velveeta commercial in my head now...
Morbo
Member # 5309

Enhh, it's Tex-Mex, big deal. Wait till you see what the Japanese do to American food.

Cheddar is my favorite cheese, but it doesn't melt well.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Imogen - it IS paradise. It seems that they've made a habit of frolicking in our trees in the back. I sit at the couch beside the large patio windows overlooking the back where they frolic, and it's just beautiful, listening to them and watching them hop around. Yup, it's beautiful here!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
it's just beautiful, listening to them
We don't get hummingbirds. Do they really hum? Is it a melodic humming, or more of a drone?

Our birds chirp. Melodically.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.