FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't like dentists

Author Topic: I don't like dentists
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
That is all.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither. She/he didn't give you the "This is hard for me too" line, did she?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

not yet... I'm going today.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

"Oops" is always bad.

Insist they give youa a lollipop afterwards.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I never got a lollipop!

[Frown]

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
You just need to switch dentists.

I had a jerk for a dentist as a kid and teenager, and I thought they were all that way.

He told me to tell him if I had any pain, and halfway through, I did have some pain. So I calmly told him so.

He scoffed, and was visibly annoyed the rest of the way through that tooth. When he was done he said something like: "Your brother did just fine before you. I thought that you would be as good a patient. I was going to do another tooth on you today, but you obviously can't handle it."

I was PISSED. I had a pretty high pain tolerance even as a kid, so I was just telling him it hurt because he asked me to.

While my brother was getting his second tooth drilled, I was playing out in the parking lot, when I fell on some cement and half the skin on my left knuckles got scraped off (I still have the scars today). I very calmly went into the dentists office to clean them up, and felt like sticking my knuckles right in his face. "Here, obviously I can handle pain!"

But I like my current dentist. When he asks me to tell him if it hurts, he means it. To him at means to add more novacaine, not for him to mope around with his feelings hurt. He's also cool because he is so proud of his work "Oh yeah, that looks really good there. That's coming along really phenominal". That sort of thing [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I love good dentists. I usually need a second shot of whatever numby stuff to deaden my mouth, and the bad dentists think I'm posing when I tell them that and then think I'm being overdramatic when I tell them I can still feel it. I had a good dentist as a kid, but here in Dallas I had a horrifying root canal by an incompetent and lazy dentist that gave me a full understanding of why people dread it.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to make a thread just like this...!! [Big Grin]
but then I was afraid to hurt the feelings of any dentists here.
I had only maybe one cavity and then suddenly I have a LOT! I have been told that pregnancy is hard on teeth and unfortunately I was told that AFTER I got a whole bunch of cavities. The worst thing is they always hurt after I get my fillings. I am dreading the next couple I have to get filled.
Oh and shouldn't the DENTISTS themselves tell you if you have cavities and which teeth, and not their RECEPTIONISTS! That just ticked me off last time I was there!
receptionist:"Oh yeah and you have two more cavities. Here and here."
Me: "But she hasn't even taken x rays there."
receptionists:"Well maybe she can tell without xrays."
UG!
How do you find good dentists? I've been to two in the last four months. Not that I have that many choices with the insurance I have. But when I get real insurance... how do you find a dentist that is painless?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone in or near southern Lousiana should go to my uncle. He's a very skilled and compassionate dentist.

Although I still don't like going.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you're supposed to like dentists.

It's like medicine -- it's the agony that makes your teeth better.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is a dental hygenist. She's pretty nice, but that doesn't do Kama any good since she works in Omaha.

However it's sorta scary having to go to your mother to get your teeth cleaned. It makes me feel like I'm 5 again.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a rule about copyrighted lyrics? I can't seem to remember now.... *coughtwolinescough*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I don't think you're supposed to like dentists.

It's like medicine -- it's the agony that makes your teeth better.

If you would just travel hundreds of miles to get fresh shellfish from the ocean, you wouldn't have that problem.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there, Pop? Sorry, I'll edit now then.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
You just need to switch dentists.
Nope, she's good. Really she is. But. I got the shot twice and it still hurt!

My teeth are way too sensitive. :/

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I used to have that problem, only I needed 3-6 shots and was numb down to my bellybutton and still felt the pain. Every single time I got a filling, regardless of who the dentist was.

Then I saw a dentist in Sri Lanka. One shot, no pain. Every single time.

He tells me that it's because the previous dentists didn't hit the nerve properly, and that's why I still felt all the pain despite being numb. Considering that he also managed to fix a tooth that my Canadian dentist quoted me $800+ to fix (new filling plus crown) with only a filling ($25), and no problems with it anymore, I tend to believe him.

So. Come to Sri Lanka for LankaCon 2006 and get yer dental workd done here! [Big Grin] [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
that was funny, quidscribis.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.