FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Something to Think About Before Going to Bed

Author Topic: Something to Think About Before Going to Bed
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wrote it in 5 minutes, 10 minutes ago, so I'm sorry if it's imperfect.

quote:
A sky of red, with trees there – it to hide,
And winds of might blow round me all the night;
This is the nature in which I reside –
The natural feeling gives me most delight.
To stand behind a window and to feel
The winds of joy blow through a frame of bliss
Is more that one believes today is real,
Just listening to the wind’s most silent kiss.
One cannot try to state the pleasure nightly
Felt by those whose deep sense of awe is there,
When you are bound to nature and so tightly
With your eyes at silent night you stare.
While friends of mine don’t see the nightly world
Of tender, calm sensations; idle acts;
My motions and emotions are all swirled,
And mystify the world, obscuring facts –
Then I can see the worth of life, its sake,
The actual euphoria and joy:
Conventionalities, watching them break,
As if the horse had never entered Troy.
You are united with yourself once more,
When sensing chill of winds rise up your back,
You know, though, that in this state there’s no gore,
For harmony you have and will not lack.
Remember that the night’s a home for this,
And day will make this vanquish down to nought;
Remember now the wind’s soft, subtle hiss,
And let your idle dreams come from this thought.

Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess you're what they call a "night person"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
No one called me that. It's just that at this period of the year, the night is the only pleasant time of the 24-hour cycle. I walked out of home to a pizza place today. I had my pizza under a roof and returned home (5 minutes). I was wxhausted and roasting when I returned, and my breathing was so quick I couldn't even sip water for a minte and a half.
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

OK, I'm going to bed.

*Reads poem again, opens window, in spite of pidgeons penetrating room.*

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
"A bird, so rare", perhaps?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The rest of the poem's pretty mediocre -- remember my warnings about Yoda syndrome, Jon -- but I loved these two lines:

quote:

As if the horse had never entered Troy.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Many people do some of their best work between midnight and 3 am. Myself included.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I half expected this thread to be about how many dust mites there are in your pillow.

I agree with Tom. I personally would rather see a poem that sacrifices rhyme for good meter and coherent sentences than the other way around. The poem is a little vague right now. I'm not entirely certain what it's about--wind, night?

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

I'm glad some of you liked some of it.

I tried to get something about nature - standing behind an opn window - looking at nature at its darkest and at its best, and just feeling the wind blow through the window across your body (best when you have few or no clothes on).

quote:
I personally would rather see a poem that sacrifices rhyme for good meter and coherent sentences
The meter's an iambic pentameter through and through... But I didn't mark it in the Milton way - thousands of apostrophes, acutes and spelling differences in order to make it so visual.

As for the coherency - the clauses just flow on from one line to the other; not all of my lines fit whole units into them. We're not all Miltons...

quote:
remember my warnings about Yoda syndrome
quote:
I tried to make it "watching all conventionalities break", except that it's a little over-syllabled. "conventional'ties" didn't seem right.

Even at mediocre - it's pre-polished and it was mde rapidly...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.