FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An incorruptible government... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An incorruptible government...
Homonculus
Member # 7486

- posted      Profile for Homonculus   Email Homonculus         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, getting back on topic, advice for robots mentioned something about an agency running the management of laws, etc. This kinda made me think of OSC's Shadow series and the Hegemony. Does anyone know the inner workings of the system described by Card? It seems appropriate for the topic at hand...

[ July 06, 2005, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Homonculus ]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because humans are fallible and no human government can be absolutely perfect, The only perfectly incorruptible government is a theocracy ("government of a state by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided") with a infallible God as head.
quote:
The perfect government is one ruled by a perfectly wise philosopher king aided by a bureaucracy of the perfect size to enact all of the mandates of the king and no larger, manned by people who have no personal ambition. The king will make all of the right decisions and can implement them immediately through the efficient bureraucracy.
The only "perfect government" I believe is possible at all is when Jesus Christ returns to rule with his apostles in the Millenium. Before that happens, forget it!
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homonculus
Member # 7486

- posted      Profile for Homonculus   Email Homonculus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what it is that you're trying to achieve by writing this. The reason peace is unattainble is because everyone thinks it is impossible. If we all got into a mindset where we might think that there is the slightest chance of attaining it, and worked to achieve it, it would no longer be impossible. It would be improbable. However, I'm more satisfied with the thought of an improbable quest, rather than an impossible one.

Occasional, I myself am a Catholic, and although the idea of the coming of the messiah is a bright and hopeful one, it requires us to wait. He didn't come on the year 2000, so maybe he'll come in the year 3000. I don't think human beings are that patient. Especially since we can do this if we truly want to.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
If we truly want to, and not all of us do.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of it is that everyone has different ideas about what "Perfect Government" is depending on each individual. To go along with Danzig, but change his comment slightly, not all of us think another person's perfect government is MY perfect government. Some might even see another person's Perfect Government as dangerous.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Satan, I agree with Occasional. (For the record, I see Occasional's perfect government as anything between dangerous and evil.)
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.