FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BEST MOVIES OF THE SUMMER!

Author Topic: BEST MOVIES OF THE SUMMER!
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Gold medal - Star Wars III (senimental vote)

Silver Medal - Mr. and MRs. Smith

Bronze medal - Batman begins.

The Gold DVD medal - the Life aquatic!

War of the Worlds - honorable mention

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imenimok
Member # 7679

- posted      Profile for imenimok           Edit/Delete Post 
You obviously didn't see House of Wax.
Posts: 226 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Feh. Willie Nelson and Burt Reynolds will prove you wrong this August! Yeah! Just you wait!

*shakes fist*

But really, my list would be:

Batman Begins

March of the Penguins

Howl's Moving Castle

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say:

1 War of the Worlds
2 Star Wars III
3 Haven't seen the others.... [Dont Know]
Still waiting to see Batman.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. I haven't seen very many, but I'd put Batman up in a tie with War of the Worlds.

Depends on what you're voting on. If you're voting on script/acting/directing it's Batman. If you're voting on visuals/effects/sound it's WotW. IMOSHO

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] @ Brettly
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my eye on Star Wars 7.

[Smile]

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Star Wars III
2. Batman Begins

haven't seen the others. Not sure I want to see War of the Worlds. The previews don't seem to have an emotion but fear and awe. Is there anything else in this movie?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Revenge of the Sith
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
I view Star Wars the same way I view Final Fantasy VII. It was ok, I guess, but I don't understand why everyone loves it so much.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Maybe wall to wall lightsaber battles and the total asskickification of Obi wan!
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Batman
2. Cinderella Man

WotWs worth Watching but thats it.

Star Wars had two good fight sequences the rest of movie sucked

I can't ever remember any of the other movies that came out. Apparently no one else can either

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Howl's Moving Castle really was great!
I want to drag my friend to see it in Japanese.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Batman

Cinderella Man

No others that I have seen were good enough to qualify for a list.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Bride and Prejudice
2. Cinderella Man
3. Bewitched

<-------- not a fan of blockbusters

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Howl's Moving Castle
Crash

I hated Star Wars 3. Never been so bored in my life. But then again, I do prefer good characters and story over mindless fights and excessive CGI.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Batman
......That's about it. Haven't seen Howl's Moving Castle but would like to.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monteverdi
Member # 2896

- posted      Profile for monteverdi           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it in the Life Aquatic when the mentor was getting eaten by the Tiger Shark, pool of blood and guts staining the surface of the chop, and one of the deck hands throws an aqualung into the general area with the hope that it might provide some assistance to the devoured diver.

War of the Worlds:

Has someone written an essay showing that Spielberg's only subject, his paint-by-numbers canvas, is death. Ghoulish.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
No way is Episode III better than Batman Begins. I liked Episode III but, lol.. no way.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Howl's Moving Castle
2. Batman Begins
3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*

*May or may not have been a summer movie. But I saw it after all the slush had melted, which around here is how we define "summer".

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Batman Begins
Cinderella Man
Star Wars III

My opinion...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see crash. I wanted to see it in the theater but had nobody to go with. I have heard good things.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
How is "Life Aquatic?" I've seen the trailer but since it is rated R I chose not to see it. But it seems to have the silliness that I love...
Why is it rated R?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Star Wars
2. Crash
3. Howl's Moving Castle

Honorable Mentions: War of the Worlds, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

However I expect that to change by the end of the year. Serenity, Fan 4, Harry Potter, LWW, and The Producers I think will all be great movies.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, just reread the thread title, best movies of the SUMMER.

So nix most of what I just mentioned, but Fantastic Four will still be a summer movie. Along with The Island.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Neither of which I plan to see.

Life Aquatic is rated R for language.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Guess we'll have to settle this in the box office.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2005&p=.htm
Star Wars is more then twice as good as #2.
Cool.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
The box office doesn't always reflect how good a movie is, just how many people thought it was gonna be that good.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

That usually only works for the first weekend
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Near.

Far.

whereEVER you are...

8 years later and I still cringe at the song, though I did like the movie.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.