FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most Memorable Book Moments

Author Topic: Most Memorable Book Moments
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
A simple topic.

Sometimes one specific part of a book will stick out in your mind more than any other part, and it's not always the climax. So, what are some of your most memorable?

1. Ender's Game- When Dragon army wins the battle versus two armies at once, despite Ender giving up.

2. Lord of the Rings- The first time I read the poem about the "One ring to rule them all," I knew that this was going to be an awesome story.

3. A Game of Thrones- *SPOILER*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
When Eddard Stark was betrayed by Little Finger and eventually killed. I had never been as mad at an author as I was when I read that. Then I kept reading the series and I have sense gotten madder. And yet I still love the series.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
speaker for the dead - when novinha and her family reunite (in particular olhado and her)
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
The end passage of "To Kill a Mockingbird" when Scout is standing on the Radley porch is one of my favorites. I like its style and what it says about perspectives.

I also like the final pages of "Clabbered Dirt, Sweet Grass" for its lyrical quality, if nothing else, and for memories it stirs in me.

Parts of Homer's "The Iliad" but mostly the Funeral of Hector.

I also like some of the "Spoon River Anthology" selections.

Better stop.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening scene of Xenocide where Han FeiTzu is talking to his dying wife always sticks with me; even when it was years since I'd read the book, that part was clear in my mind.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandEyeProtege
Member # 7565

- posted      Profile for HandEyeProtege           Edit/Delete Post 
The most memorable part of Xenocide for me is Han Qing-Jao's test for whether she is godspoken, when her complusion to clean her hands leads her almost to suicide, and she eventually discovers the tracing of the wood grain.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The scene in The Amber Spyglass when Lyra and Will go into hell and the one where they discovered their love for each other.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hobbit...Riddles in the Dark.

Ender's Game...When Ender explains why he killed the bully.

The Vampire Lestat...When Lestat introduces himself to the rock band and they dismiss him.

Harry Potter and the Sorceerer's Stone...When Hagrid tells Harry he's a wizard.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the whole entire time-turner scene.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire-The part in the graveyard

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild Seed, near the end where Anyanwu is getting ready to let herself die.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there are so many... some tragic, some happy.

'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' - when Sirius tells Harry someday he can live with him

'Invitation to the Game' - the First Lines and the Last Lines. Gives me a warm glow.

'This Time of Darkness' - When James is confused about why Axel's mother had tears in her eyes.

'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel' - That scene on the heath.

'The Many Lives and Secret Passions of Josephine B.' - When Rose's name is called.

'The Aeneid' - When Aeneas looses his wife and she appears to him.

'Witch Week' - The very last lines. Genius.

'David Copperfield' - Steerforth's death.

'Rama' - The stairs. For some reason they always captured my imagination.

'Going Solo' - The 6:00 take-off scene in the olive grove in Greece.

'The Hero and the Crown' - When Aerin rolls the skull out of the city.

I could so go on.

EDIT: For me, the most memorable bit in Ender's Game is when Mazer Rackham shows up. And the bit when someone, I forget who, after it's all over, laughs that they'll probably be sent back to school.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
When Quequeg starts to carve his coffin in Moby Dick.

When Winston Smith finds the camera inside his television in 1984.

In Les Miserables when the little girl is first put in the convent. And later, the chase through the sewers.

In Ender's game when the giant dies. And in Ender's Shadow the story of Bean living in the toilet.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
THE STAND: Nick Andross and the Bomb
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Gates of Fire, when one of the soldiers, who is dying, demands that the protagonist carry him on his back, to shield it from arrows.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hero and the Crown: when Maur's head taunts Aerin

LOTR: when they enter onto the Field of Cormallen
LOTR: Aragon revealing his identity to Eomer

Aeneid: the proem. Lordie, those lines are gorgeous, in any language.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of the Flies:
when they step on Piggy's glasses.

The Far Pavilions:
when the sister burns on the funeral pyre.

The Jewel and the Crown:
when(forget character's name) is questioned by the sadistic British police guy.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Brave New World: the last paragraph

The Last Battle: the mad rush for the "door" into the new Narnia and how the non-believers are diverted away from it

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
The Silver Chair: Jill being afraid of Aslan and Aslan not really doing anything to reassure her.

The Last Battle: Further up and Farther in... and meeting Reepicheep again.

Guns of Avalon: Corwin's soliloquy after his vengence -- "Until that time, I shall neither wash my hands, nor let them hang useless." Also the flight from and fight with Benedict.

Sign of the Unicorn: Random's tale of attempting to rescue Brand.

The Whole Amber Series: the various descriptions of negotiating the pattern, especially ones where there is conflict between Corwin and Brand.

Prisoner of Azkaban: Harry's Corporeal Patronus being a stag.

Goblet of Fire: Priori Incantatum

Lost Boys: the dreadful chapter where you begin to realize the truth and your mind rejects it over and over again, till you are explicitly told and you can't deny it anymore.

Freeway Games: The final image of the woman shuddering.

Ender's Game: Ender *almost* realizing that he's killed Bonzo and Stilson. Also all the game scenes (the wolves, the snake, the giant's drink, etc.)

Cryptonomicon: Pearl Harbor from Waterhouse's PoV

Snow Crash: "They'll listen to Reason."

but the most memorable of all, I'm sad to say, is Tom Clancy --

Without Remorse:
Pimp - "Why are you doing this?"
John Kelly - "Practice."

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
First post ever on hatrack ... woohoo ...

Tale of Two Cities: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of time ..."
and
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, then I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known".

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wheel of Time. The battle while Rand cleaned the taint
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to get tomato'd for this, but:

Clancy's Debt of Honor, when someone crashes a plane into the Capitol.

In case you're wondering, that book was written back in 1995.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Chaim Potok, The Chosen, when Danny's father talks to Danny through Reuven.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix- Sirius and the doorway archway thing. ::sniff::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Fool's Errand - Nighteyes' death.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
In Wyrms, where the wyrm and her.....

.... oh nevermind. That is a climax....

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wheel of Time: The Shadow Rising -- Rand's vision of Aiel history while in Rhuidean. This chapter alone almost makes the entre series worthwhile.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Little Doctor, are you a brain vampire? I was thinking of including that in my post.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
The Last Battle: Further up and Farther in... and meeting Reepicheep again.
Jim-Me, this is one of my favorite parts of literature ever created. And the last chapter is just called "Shadowlands..." it made me cry for hours.

I always like the "draw me a sheep" part of Le Petit Prince.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

As a side note - I keep reading this thread title as "Most Memorable Book of Mormon."

I guess, though, that not all of us have one of those. Mine is the blue one with the angel Moroni on the front. That one was cool.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine were the diminutive, plastic-covered ones that my missionary companion used to stack up on the floor in order to make his push-ups more challenging.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Annie: Me too!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

When the newest ones that are all skinny came out a few years ago, the missionaries in our ward told one of the young women who had asked "Wow! Why is it so skinny?" that they had decided to take out the Book of Alma. She was shocked. "Dude. No way."
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Gnat's Other Blade - When Nathaniel first discovers The Sword.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Fool's Fate - When Burrich realizes that Fitz is still alive

A Storm of Swords - Tyrion's revenge on his father

The Sandman - The death of Morpheus

Catcher in the Rye - Scrubbing the walls

Thomas Covenant - The cleansing of Foamfollower

Lord of the Flies - The murder scene

Amazing how many of these involve death for all of us...

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Night Watch -- When Vetinari catches a thrown apple on the end of his fork without looking up from his book.

A Prayer for Owen Meany -- When Owen hides under a bed in the school dormitory while a teacher and his wife make use of said bed.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.