FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We All Need A Little Perspective (Quran)

Author Topic: We All Need A Little Perspective (Quran)
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting this thread in light of a couple of threads that have really bothered me lately. Now, I haven't read every single word in the "Koran Study" thread but I am basing this thread on that one. If this idea was already brought up, I appologize, please don't think I'm trying to step on anyone's toes.

What are we doing:

We are reading the Quran, no matter it's translation (as long as it is an approved translation). At the end of every agreed section, we will post our feelings on that section.

Why are we doing it:

To increase everyone's perspective of the world they live in and to disspell some of the myths surrounding other cultures.

I haven't figured out a timeline for this thread. I hope when we all get our copies that we'll figure it out then. Participation is welcome from anyone. This is not intended to bring about debates about who's religion is better than who's. Although paralell's may be drawn as long as they are respectful.

I hope Pops will encourage objective points-of-view by policing this thread and calling out disrespectful posts.

So, what do you think?

[edit] Edited the spelling of the book to be more correct. [/edit]

[ July 06, 2005, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally up for it. I've been reading through the Qur'an myself, and have been wishing I had a 'study guide' or discussion group for it.

Free Qur'an, and another.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Ugh! Two weeks?!

I'm gonna make a run to the library tonight.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've ordered mine already, but it's going to be some extra time, since I had to ship it to my American partner-in-crime, since they don't ship outside the US. But I'll grab a library copy or online, if we get started before it gets here.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I got my copy just now from the library.

The library down the street had their copy checked out today (It was probably my Stalker). So we had to go out to Eagle (a suburb) to get it. I must say, it's larger than I expected. But I'm still in.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm in. I've read it before, but it was a very long time ago, and I figure it'd probably be a good idea for me to read it again.

Hmm. I'll see if I can get Fahim involved, too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Those links to free Qu'ran listed by Taalcon don't work for me (in the sense that they mail only to addressed in the West, which is not where I am - not that the links themselves don't work - they do). If any of you know of a link to a downloadable version, please list it. We have a copy in the house - it's just that it's in Arabic. I, unfortunately, need English.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

All I know is what Google tells me.

:does the mummy walk:

Taalcon
Member # 839

Online Qur'an links:

here, here has three parallel translations, as does this, but verse by verse. The site does have Surah introductions, though, which are nice.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

So my first impression of the Quran so far is: "This thing is teh huge!" But upon further review, I found that it's a few verses on each page with a TON of english commentary at the bottom of the page. All in all the book weighs in at 2082 pages (not a typo) making this the largest book I've ever picked up with the intent of reading. I think I'll stay away from the commentary.
Taalcon
Member # 839

Heh. One of my editions has commentary, but only weighs in at 1260 pages, and has the thickness (and appearance) of an average Church Hymnal. One of my non-commentary editions (paperback) has 634 pages. Both contain parallel Arabic and English.

Which translation do you have, scottneb?

The primary one I've been using is by Maulana Muhammad Ali. The other one is the traditional M.H. Shakir translation.

scottneb
Member # 676

I'm not exactly sure what translation it is. The book starts at, what I think of as the end of the book. So I will be reading mine from "back" cover to "front" cover. It will take some getting used to.

So, what I would think of as the "title" page says this:

The page is a giant graphic. At the top middle of the page it says, "Mushaf Al-Madinah An-Nabawiyah."

The middle of the page says, "The Holy Qur-an, English translation of the meanings and Commentary."

The bottom of the page says, "Revised & Edited By The Presidency Of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call And Guidances"

In a graphic below that it says, "King Fahd Holy Qur-an Printing Complex"

So, I don't know exactly what translation it is. But I'm sure I'll figure it out when I start reading.

Taalcon
Member # 839

Just found a really cool Qur'an software viewer that is fully searchable and has suposrt for multiple parallel languages, as well as an index, commentaries and surah introductions:

Check it out!

Taalcon
Member # 839

BTW, if you would like to arrange a specific place to organize such a study group, I would be more than happy to arrange a special section on my shutupandwrite.net forums - I have recently created a section for discussion of historically significant literature, and I think a subsection for Qur'anic discussion would be a perfect way to jumpstart it.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A warning: How much perspective into Islamic zealotry you will derive from just reading the Koran is unclear. There are other "non-canon" texts whose names I cannot remember that also inform many fundamentalist muslims.

I'm assuming that is what you meant by 'Perspective'

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

WheatPuppet, I'm not sure how to answer your post other than this: Perspective is not something you have or don't have. Rather it is something you have varying degrees of. This thread is designed to help those that participate, gain perspective on beliefs that we don't know about or understand. The truth is, the Muslim Faith (as far as I know) believes the Quran to be the word of God (much like my Bible is to me). By reading the Quran I hope to better understand a very large group of people that share this Earth.

Taalcon, I think it would be perfect if we could move the discussion to your site. At first I was reluctant to say so. But, now that I've thought it through, there are many advantages to moving it from here to there. Of course anyone will still be able to register and post right? I ask that because Mike's got a slight problem with his sight that is making him contemplate his registering policy.

Let me know when you have the discussion up and we'll move over there to plan out the schedule.

-scottneb-

Taalcon
Member # 839

Cool.

Yes, registration is completely open.

I appear to be having a temporary issue with the site that I just noticed, but hopefully it will be resolved very shortly. I'll let you know when I have things ready!

scottneb
Member # 676

I just noticed the problems as well.
Taalcon
Member # 839

Alrighty, fixed.

Go Here, and register!

scottneb
Member # 676

Down again.

I also had to use an alternate name since I botched the first attempt.

Taalcon
Member # 839

Yeah, it's not usually like this. I think the host is just having hiccups. Should clear up before the night's done. If not, I'll have to have me some words.

*EDIT*

It's up again. Let's see how long.

Now anyone interested can come over and register, and we'll come up with some guidelines for the discussion!

[ July 07, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I searched our bookshelves and found a book called The Meaning of the Glorious Koran: An Explanatory Translation. I guess that should work for this discussion, right? [Smile]

When are you planning to start and what's the time table for this discussion?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

The first section is up and ready for discussion. (and lurking)

Again, here is the link.

Taalcon
Member # 839

*bumpy*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.