FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » News Stations Cut Off the Pres. of Nigeria

Author Topic: News Stations Cut Off the Pres. of Nigeria
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning, I turned on the news and caught part of Tony Blair's speech--most of it, I think. After that, the president of Nigeria went up to the podium to speak. The Fox News commentators talked over him, finally let us hear a few sentences, and then cut to something else. I flipped through all of the stations and not ONE news station was airing his speech--not even C-Span. I was quite annoyed. Was anybody else? Or am I just the one person in the world who actually wanted to hear what he had to say?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
What was Nigeria doing at the G-8 accord?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Blair was speaking with the rest of the G8 standing behind him, and behind them, were a BUNCH of African leaders. I guess they were there because the G8 was discussing them a lot.

I'm not sure because I missed the beginning of the speech, and I only heard a little of what the Nigerian president had to say.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
not surprising, most people don't want to watch a speech by the pres of Nigeria, so the stations don't cover it. When a recent speech of Bush's went long, many stations changed over to their regular programing instead of getting the end of the speech...and he is the US president.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't blame them, I'd rather watch the OC than see Bush say anything, it's never new.

I would have liked to see the Pres. of Nigeria speak though. It'd be nice to hear what they have to say about what the G-8 is discussing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Nigeria for eight years and I taught in a local high school, continuing my fanatical English teacher ways( [Smile] Rivka). Nigeria seems to be trying to limit corruption, which goes all the way up and all the way down in the society. My colleagues could make more money by pushing forward a single student's application (not everyone can go to public school in Nigeria; they are just cheaper than private school and alot bigger. My school had three thousand girls, sixty per class.I taught 240 students a day; that's _alot_ of essays to grade) than they made in six months of salary. It is absolutely necessary to control corruption if the West is ever going to send significant sums to Africa. The President of Nigeria is an interesting man who has the respect and ear of other African leaders. After living under Abacha's murderous dictatorship, I am cautiously optimistic about the future of Nigeria. It sure would be great to receive some of that promised western aid, but it's tough to sell the proposal if Americans never get to know any African leader outside Mandela. Sigh*
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
America's coverage of world events (I know this because I watch British, Canadian and American tv/sources) is bad. They would prefer to talk onscreen in discussion than show images with factual commentary and/or just images. Canada isn't much better. I don't know why, it's just a quirk.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, I've noticed something similar. Sometimes things will happen in the world-- serious things-- and I won't hear about them until I turn on the BBC at night.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.