FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Back to law school?

Author Topic: Back to law school?
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've shared here the sordid tale of my journeys from one firm to another. I have been an attorney for about four years, and have had experience in a wide range of kinds of law. My favorite was Estate Planning. I enjoyed meeting with clients to discuss their estate planning needs, preparing their wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and other related instruments. I even enjoyed explaining the completed plans to the clients and having them sign everything. I think there are many millions of people who really need estate plans who don't have them and who are unlikely to make one.

My current job is okay, but it's certainly not my dream job, and it is starting to get boring after only six months. After discussing the future of my career with my wife, I have come close to deciding that I want to go back to law school and get an L.L.M degree in Taxation. (An L.L.M. degree is an advanced law degree, one that the vast majority of attorneys never get.)

An L.L.M. in Taxation would open up a lot of opportunities for me. Most firms that specialize in Estate Planning will only hire attorneys with either a Tax L.L.M. or a CPA. An L.L.M. is also usually a requirement to be a law professor, which is something I've thought I would enjoy. Plus, there are many large companies (e.g. national accounting firms) and government agencies that hire Tax L.L.M.'s.

There are about 32 schools in the U.S. that offer this kind of program. It's only one year, if you go full time. I am researching the different programs to decide where I might apply.

Hey Dagonee, if you read this, where are you attending law school again? I don't remember, but I think it might be one of the schools that has this program.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
That is certainly one of the most common reasons to get an L.L.M. Of course, in my case it does not apply.

In addition, many L.L.M. programs do not in fact qualify a graduate to take the state bar exam. Instead, the degree gives the graduate a breadth of experience that he/she may find to be a huge plus in international practice, especially since it shows that the graduate has a proficiency in English and familiarity with American law.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey Dagonee, if you read this, where are you attending law school again? I don't remember, but I think it might be one of the schools that has this program.
I got to UVA, and they do have an LLM program. The majority are foreign students as described above, but I know at least two people who are there hoping to become law professors.

Don't know if they do tax or not.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.