FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Finding a place to live is HARD, but we found one! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Finding a place to live is HARD, but we found one!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
...and it's making me grumpy. We've got every friend and relative we have in SoCal going through the papers and noting phone numbers of rentals as they drive by; we've checked out every free online resource (we're not willing to pay $45 for the details on the two places out of 500 results that actually match our needs, which are probably already rented anyway.) It's really annoying sometimes. [Wall Bash] We need to have a place by August, becuase Ems and I are flying out on the 26th, staying with my mom for a week, and Jeff will be driving out with all the stuff on the 30th, to arrive around the 3rd.

Anyone know of a vacant place in Tujunga, Sunland, La Crescenta, Montrose, north Glendale, or north Burbank that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (our budget is $1300 a month tops, and that's a stretch), will accept cats, have a washer/dryer hookup or at least laundry on-site, and offer at least 2 bedrooms, 1 bath? [Frown]

[ July 27, 2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. You are flying out on my birthday.

Did you try Craigslist?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. Also the Recycler website. Half of the ads aren't accurate; they advertise $1150 a month and then ask for $1900 and double that the first month for a security deposit. [Roll Eyes]

*realizes she hasn't eaten all day*

*eats half a Fruit and Nut bar*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Filling out applications for Japanese schools is hard. There's a test sentence for your Japanese and I can't read one word of it. [Frown]

Good luck, kq.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked with the local ward(s) to see if someone there can help? I wish I were close enough to offer assistance. Well, I'll also be out of the country when you arrive, so that'd make it even tougher to help.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep looking. You'll probably fall in love with a place, and you'll just have to live in it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know you very well, but I do know how stressful it can be looking for a new living place.

Good luck. I'm sure it'll all turn out wonderful.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Sorry. Filling out applications for Japanese schools is hard. There's a test sentence for your Japanese and I can't read one word of it. [Frown]

Good luck, kq.

Thanks, and I'm sorry. (((hugs)))

quote:
Have you checked with the local ward(s) to see if someone there can help?
Yup, talked to my old bishop; he gave us the number of his executive secretary, who "seems to have his finger on the pulse of the housing situation". Called him, and he'll call us back next week.

quote:
I wish I were close enough to offer assistance. Well, I'll also be out of the country when you arrive, so that'd make it even tougher to help.

[Kiss] You're so sweet. It's the thought, etc. [Smile]

quote:
You'll probably fall in love with a place, and you'll just have to live in it.
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. It's more about whether they'll take us, and being 1500 miles away means we can't drop by for an interview or to look a place over; we have to rely on references, phone interviews, and my family and friends. [Frown]

quote:
I don't know you very well, but I do know how stressful it can be looking for a new living place.

Good luck. I'm sure it'll all turn out wonderful.

Thank you. You're sweet, too. [Kiss]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I agree, to the thread title. I need to move at the end of August, and the area I was looking at is now not going to work. To live right next to work would cost about $300 more a month than I'm paying now, and to live farther away is cheaper, but doesn't help a whole lot. I only live 14 miles away right now. The halfway in between point suddenly won't work because they closed the place I was interested in living next to. I HATE house hunting.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
How attached are you to your cats? I bet they will cost you $100 extra a month in rent compared to what would otherwise be available.

P.S. Be glad your husband didn't choose the monkey instead of kids. That was you, right?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Actually, the places that meet our other requirements all have no problems with cats (dogs would be a different story) and most don't even charge a pet deposit. (Neither did the place we're living now.) That's a good thing, because Emma seems to think they're her brothers. And yes, that was me. [ROFL] Thanks for that, I needed a laugh.
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only speak of central Illinois - but I found that, as ketchupqueen said, most landlords aren't too upset with Cats. Usually, the worst thing I found was an extra $100 at the time of the lease signing. Granted, all the places I've lived in cost less that $400 a month [Grumble]
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We're talking right now with a guy who owns a small, 4-unit place, laundry on premises, 2 bedroom unit available, would have no problem with cats, is charging $945 a month (though the deposit would be a bit more), in Sunland, really close to our ideal area (we doubt we'll really land in the La Crescenta ward; the Sunland ward is the one "next door", in the same stake), and seems about willing to bend the rule he's made for himself about always meeting people in person first. My dad is going by sometime today or tomorrow to look at it before he sends out an application for us to fill out.

Maybe everyone who prays could pray for a "good wind" for us again? It seemed to work last time. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
We're talking right now with a guy who owns a small, 4-unit place, laundry on premises, 2 bedroom unit available, would have no problem with cats, is charging $945 a month (though the deposit would be a bit more), in Sunland, really close to our ideal area (we doubt we'll really land in the La Crescenta ward; the Sunland ward is the one "next door", in the same stake), and seems about willing to bend the rule he's made for himself about always meeting people in person first. My dad is going by sometime today or tomorrow to look at it before he sends out an application for us to fill out.

Maybe everyone who prays could pray for a "good wind" for us again? It seemed to work last time. [Smile]

*prays*

Also, there's a Jewish notion that one who prays not only for himself, but for himself AND someone else in a similar situation, is more likely to be answered. So, will you pray that I find some place that I can afford and can live with/in too?

Danke!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Definitely! In fact, I already have been, even though I'd never heard of that notion. [Smile] Have you tried the Recycler online, Rivka? That's where we've found our most promising leads.
rivka
Member # 4859

In all honesty, I spent a lot of time going through online ads a few months back, got burnt out, and have not looked recently.

I should. I will. *sigh* I hate this.

I have been looking at (and calling about) signs out front of places. That's how I found my best leads a couple years ago -- including the place I rented then.

Also a good source of unintended levity. "You want how much for an apartment that's a mile from where I really want to be, in a neighborhood that's not quite what I had in mind? Only double what I can afford?!?" [Laugh]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I know that feeling. "Well, that's a little out of our budget." "How much? We can talk about it, although I have two people on the other line asking about the same place." "Well, actually, you want about $900 more than we'll have to spend..." *sigh*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

New problem: even if we get into that place, we're not going to be able to afford the deposit. [Wall Bash]
rivka
Member # 4859

*commiserates* [Razz]
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
How much is the deposit? And, do you have a deposit on your old place? My landlady required first month, last month, and deposit. But she said that as long as we could come up w/ 2 months rent up front we could make a payment plan over a few months. Someone might let you do that. If you can fork over 2 months rent most ppl figure you're capable of paying for the place.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The deposit is $1400. We'd have to pay that and rent for the first month, so a total of $2350 the first month. We probably won't be able to make even one month's rent, much less two and then some. [Cry] We have a deposit on this place, but we're going to lose it, between the cats chewing up the blinds and the baby dumping juice on the new carpet. We have accepted that; there's no way we'll get it back. Besides, the deposit here was less than 1 month's rent, and we're only paying $695 a month here.

We are going to move. We have to move. But we'll have no place to live when we get there.

*is scared*

rivka
Member # 4859

*hug*

You know what I hate most about apartment/house listings? Their frequin' lack of simple geography skills.

No, over a mile from an area is hardly "adjacent." >_<

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, from an area, it may be. From a landmark or specific block, no. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

No, I'm talking about places that call themselves "Beverlywood-adjacent" and are a good mile outside Beverlywood (and therefore more like 2 miles from my preferred radius).

Very annoying.

rivka
Member # 4859

I took a break from looking at rentals to peruse one of the dating sites I am signed up for and hadn't checked for a while.

Yeah, not helping my frustration any. Just redirecting it. [Razz]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

lol!

Yeah, maybe you should play some Chuzzle or something.

I probably will instead of sleeping tonight. [Frown]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Still sorry I can't help, kq.

Rivka -- see you Wednesday night? I'll be there (probably sans family).

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's the plan, Pop. [Smile]

kq, Chuzzle is next. Right now I'm being sociable in IRC with people I haven't spoken with in aeons.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayer sent to Saint Anthony on the way as I write, KQ.

I know how scary this is. We have not been there for a while, but I can remember the moments(months) of panic as if it were two minutes ago.

As Mr. Micawber always said, though, "something will turn up!"

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*is about to go look at a place that sounds perfect, and is only a little more than she can afford*

Wish me luck!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good luck!
rivka
Member # 4859

Definite maybe.

Must reach my dad (co-signer) for his info for the application.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. Co-signer. That would be nice.

How does it look, location- and not-falling-apart-completely-wise?

rivka
Member # 4859

Location is great: 0.5 mile from where I work, and less than a block from my preferred synagogue.

Size is a bit squishy, but not terrible. Layout is a bit odd (it's a garage that got made into a backhouse), but probably workable.

It looks to be in good shape -- the remodel was just finished, I gather. I have to find out if it has been wired for a phone!

I'm not counting on getting it; sounds like they've got a lot of applicants. But I'm hopeful. [Smile]

[ July 11, 2005, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to both of you (and your families).
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, we'll keep praying for you, rivka! And please do the same for us. We probably need it as bad as you do, or worse (at least temporarily worse.)
rivka
Member # 4859

Will do.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, we got all the books sorted and either packed or marked for the yard sale.

Tomorrow, the desk and assorted clutter in the room. Wednesday night, Emma's room and the closet in ours, plus making yard sale signs.

Pretty soon all our stuff will be in boxes or gone, and we'll probably still have no place to live. *chews nails off*

rivka
Member # 4859

I haven't started packing yet, simply because until I sign a lease, I don't know for sure if I'm moving!

Spoke to my dad. Must finish finish filling out form so I can fax it to him and he can fax it back signed.

Also, I consulted with my rabbi about an issue I was concerned about, and he says it's ok. So that's one less thing to worry about.

*prays for ketchups and self*

*hugs*

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I still must find a place. Since the place I wanted is no longer desirable, I must decide between being close to a social life, and being close to shopping and the gym, which I do almost every day. My brain is saying to go near the gym, which is also cheaper, butI don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* While the only reason I don't prefer "the middle of nowhere" is the issue of proximity to synagogues. [Big Grin]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yuck, kq. I truly hate moving, whether you're looking to rent or buy. One thing I've found is just when I get the most discouraged then something happens. With our current home I had just about given up, convinced we'd never find a place we both liked. Now we've got our dream house. I'll be crossing my fingers that things work out for all of you soon.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck kat, kq, and rivka!

I was in y'all's place last month - the Richmond housing market exploded while we were in Roanoke and everything was tiny and expensive. We ended up moving across the street from where we used to live (into a house I love) only because they gave us preference b/c we lived there for 3 years before.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
You're moving right to my Mom's general neighborhood. She's right near the Burbank airport. It'd be so weird if you just met her without either of you knowing that you both know me.

I'd volunteer to let you live with her, but I have a feeling that that wouldn't work out.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

dean, what's her name? I know a few people in Burbank...

I just got off the phone with my dad, then the manager guy of this place we're looking at, and then my dad again.

The manager guy is sending us an application, and seems very positive about us. So much, in fact, that he offered me an on-site manager position. The duties would be light, and pay would be $45 a month. If we were paying the $945 rent he asks, there would have been a $34 gap in our budget each month. This will eliminate the gap.

Please, everyone, keep praying this works out for us! Rivka, we're still praying for you, too. How's it going on your end?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bumped for rivka*
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
For 10 bucks a week the duties had better be light.

But since it fills the hole in your budget, I hope it works out for you.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Try attempting to rent an apartment with two cats and five ferrets...for less than $750 [Frown]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since ferrets are illegal in CA, I wouldn't. [Wink]

quote:
For 10 bucks a week the duties had better be light.

But since it fills the hole in your budget, I hope it works out for you.

Thanks. [Smile] Duties would be making sure there's no trash on the ground or anything, watering the grass once every couple of days (there's not much grass), monitoring the situation-- like, making sure that people aren't breaking the noise rules and if they are, notifying the owner if they won't stop-- and very occasionally showing an apartment (people tend to live there a long time, and there are only 10 units, so very very occasional), but not doing the paperwork or anything, just showing and answering questions. Not bad at all, and since I'm going to be home all the time anyway, right up my alley.
rivka
Member # 4859

Sorry, I was at a book signing, and then dinner. [Big Grin]

I got my application in, with all the Ts and Is dotted and crossed. Now I wait to hear back, and try to find the time to call about a few other places.

I'll keep praying for y'all. The managing gig sounds like it should work well for you. [Smile] Is that a $45 credit against your rent, or is it a (taxable) salary?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.