FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Magic Street... *includes spoilers*

Author Topic: Magic Street... *includes spoilers*
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
...is one of the better books Card's written in the last two decades. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and thought that the characterization was for the most part pretty solid. (In those few cases where I found it questionable, like a 17-year-old black man using the phrase "in your mama's uterus" and/or demanding that a sham wedding be held by the agent of his enemy before he's willing to sleep with an incredibly hot and sexy hoochie mama -- in order, mind you, to save the universe, and despite the fact that he doesn't love her (which essentially makes the moral argument that sex without marriage is worse than marriage without love, perhaps the best evidence of the erosion of the institution of marriage I've seen yet), it's just a matter of Card's voice coming through just a bit too strong.)

In general, though, it's a solid entry in his body of work, and certainly features some of the best characters we've seen in a while.

Both Yolanda and the Bag Man are intriguingly ambiguous, and Ceese and Word are what Measure and Cavil Thrower WISH they were. (Word Williams, in particular, may be my favorite of all Card's supporting characters.)

[Edited thread topic to include spoiler warning --PJ]

[ July 10, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
*enters thread with eyes closed*

I'm in the middle of it right now! I'll come back when I'm finished.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting pretty close to the end of the book and may get to finish it tonight. I've enjoyed it thoroughly and agree that some of these characters may be among my favorites.

I'll jump back in on this thread in a couple days. I have to travel to a conference tomorrow and will be back online Wednesday morning.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*eyes closed to avoid spoilers*

Hey! Bugging Amazon worked -- my copy ships today! [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that marriage for the sake of having sex is indicating a real disrespect for the institution.

I particularly liked that for a large portion of time, you don't know whether several characters are "bad" guy or "good" guys.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it Friday, it was pretty good. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the ending, but still definitely a good read.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.