FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly back on Television?!?!?!

Author Topic: Firefly back on Television?!?!?!
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
My local paper just reported that Firefly was set to run on the Sci-Fi channel starting July 22. Is this old news? I can't see anything else about it here.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they already showed it once on Scifi channel about a month ago.

But I no longer have scifi channel, so I cannot confirm that.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, they're getting brand new shoes going on the sci-fi channel, suprisingly the reaction to this has been generally apathetic.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
SciFi is evil.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
apathetic because everybody already bought the dvd's or borrowed them from a friend.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Of the new shows? Wow that was fast.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wed is my birthday.
I am not getting Firefly for my birthday.
I am getting TiVo for my Satellite, installed that morning.
Firefly will be TiVO'd immediately.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the story:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=31260

quote:

SCI FI To Air Firefly Episodes

SCI FI Channel announced that it will air reruns of Fox's canceled SF series Firefly, including three episodes that never aired on Fox. SCI FI will air all 14 hours of the show, from creator Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), starting July 22, in the 7 p.m. ET/PT Friday timeslot. It will be followed by new episodes of Stargate SG-1 at 8, Stargate Atlantis at 9 and Battlestar Galactica at 10.

The channel will air the episodes in their intended order, beginning with Whedon's pilot. (Fox, by contrast, began with the show's third produced hour, "The Train Job," and aired the two-hour pilot at the end of the show's abortive first season.) SCI FI acquired exclusive rights to the show from 20th Century Television, which produced the show for the Fox Broadcasting Co.

Firefly centers on the ragtag crew of the firefly-class transport ship Serenity 500 years in the future, led by renegade Capt. Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), a veteran of the losing side in a galactic civil war.

Universal Pictures will release Serenity, a theatrical film based on Firefly, on Sept. 30. Universal and SCI FI are owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they new shows, or are they shows that are on the DVD but not aired on TV before? Those would qualify as new, but are still old news for those with the DVD.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

BRAND NEW shows.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
including three episodes that never aired on Fox.
There were three episodes on the DVD that never aired on Fox.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see Sci-Fi picking it up for new shows after the movie. They took Stargate over and did a great job with it.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
no these arent new episodes. There reairing the old ones if you read the article, it says so. i don't think it would be wise to start a second season with such a week first season viewerbase.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They are showing some new shows that have never been aired, but all of the Firefly fans have already seen them on DVD.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So* do you think they'd put it back on TV is the movie is a success?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
If the movie is a sucess, they will probably just make another movie.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
They're already planning for a trilogy.

Even with three movies, I could go for a dose of new firefly every week.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much prefer new TV shows to new movies, personally, but I don't think it'll happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Those who already love Firefly will have already seen it. But believe it or not, there are people out there who would love Firefly, who watch the Sci-fi channel, who have never heard of it.

Hopefully this will catch some of 'em. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Firefly proselyting on hatrack has brought quite a few into the fold too (including me). Hopefully we can hook some more before September.

I agree with you Noemon, I'd much rather have the flavor of 'episodes.' Then we'd have whole seasons on DVD instead of 3 movies. But, I won't complain. I'm glad they're planning for more than one movie.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a runup to the movie, another way of getting the word out. It's also the first time the episodes have ever been shown in the proper order on broadcast television.

These are not new episodes. Frankly, I think it's unlikely the show will ever come back even if there is huge demand. FOX burned them pretty hard, and a movie trilogy would be huge. We need a good ongoing science fiction movie series now that Star Wars and Star Trek are pretty much gone.

There's also a Serenity three-part comic book series starting next week that helps explain what happened between the show dna the movie. And the guy doing the novelization of the movie has said that there are plans for at least two original Firefly novels coming out next year.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
We need a good ongoing science fiction movie series now that Star Wars and Star Trek are pretty much gone.

Yup. Good thing we have one in the new Battlestar Galactica, which is every bit as good as Firefly, albeit with a more ominous, less playful feel. And unlike Firefly, it's actually getting decent support from the network (Sci-Fi), with audio commentaries and deleted scenes for many of the episodes available for download from Sci-Fi's web site. Season 2 starts this Friday.

Firefly deserved so much more than it got; I'm glad to see another SF show of the same caliber actually getting decent treatment for a change.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
movie series
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'd quite put Battlestar Galactica up on the pedestal with Firefly quite yet (although it IS extremely good). Galactica's creators have demonstrated that they have an brilliant grasp of drama, and are excellent at character development, but they haven't shown the same comedic chops or witty wordplay that Firefly routinely did, while juggling drama and character just as well as Galactica. The one "comedic" episode ("Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down") was more a confusing mess than anything else.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the show but have been told I absolutely need to, I loved the trailer for Serenity, and so I need to first find out if I have the SciFi channel, and if I do, I need to tattoo that date onto my forehead.

Thanks for putting the information out for people like me. [Smile]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.