FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Guns, Germs, and Steel on PBS tonight!

Author Topic: Guns, Germs, and Steel on PBS tonight!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
At least on WGBY, my local channel. I LOVED this book, and am really looking forward to seeing the author talk about it, and show examples of his theories and everything.

Check your listings, it is PBS so while the show times may differ, they all have the same basic programming.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to throw my roommate off the TV, or set up my own.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I remembered a few discussion on Hatrack about the book, and I even ordered a copy of it myself to be able to contribute to the discussion...it had been years since I had read any of it.

Usually I like these things, and I love that other people on Hatrack are into this as much (or more ) than I do.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Thanks for telling us. I will definitely be checking that out!
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed is is! Thanks for the heads-up, Kwea!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, and Whale Rider will be on Sunday the 24th.

(I didn't care for it much, but it's worth watching. And it will make twinky happy if you watch it. [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

FYI, GG&S is running for 1 hour tonight, one next Monday, and one the Monday after that.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they post it online.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It was great, they managed to hit most of the points in teh first part of the book, although my wife was a little confused about why it had that title, as they didn't mentin any of them in this part except in passing.

I explained that the germs that were so devestating came from the animals discussed in this part and she understood right away.

That is part of why I love her...I don't have to explain every little bit of something for her to get it, and I don't have to waste time spelling simple things out for her because she is so damn smart. [Big Grin]

Well, except for the part about marrying me, but shh, don't tell her; she hasn't noticed so far , at least not that I can tell. [Wink]

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
It was okay within its agenda, I think I ran a thread on this book. Might have deleted it, it did clarify a few things while it was busy glossing over some pretty big flaws by being verbose.

BC

[ July 12, 2005, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Bean Counter ]

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it, but it sure seemed like they glossed over the assumptions they made.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.