FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superman Is A Jerk

Author Topic: Superman Is A Jerk
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
And here's a series of comic book covers that proves this!
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so confused.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

(at kat [Wink] ) Not the ridiculous comics.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I always that he was super...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid question... did they replace the text in the bubbles, or is it real?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

It's completely real.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Is he evil a lot?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

The question should be... was he ever really that good to begin with?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the covers are from the Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen spinoff comic books. It was pretty common to have the cover featuring Superman doing something "out of character" and really evil to get people to buy the book out of curiousity. Trying to provoke a "OMG! Why's Superman doing THAT?" reaction. But they did it so much it doesn't really seem out of character eventually.

That site has other categories, too. There's some hilariously offensive ones from WW2, back before the days of PC.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly from a previous discussion of these covers from another message board...

Someone would make one of these paradox covers, and then the writer/artist would have fun making them into a story that makes sense. The story on the inside almost never contained the scene on the cover beyond a passing glance.

Some newer comics are this way as well.

For instance, I have this comic:
http://www.superdickery.com/dick/81.html

Inside, Superman and the Legion of Superheroes have one of those "mistaken identity" super-hero fights. They mistake superman for someone who had attacked them recently before this comic. The team fights superman for a bit, and superman pretty much gets his butt kicked, until the Legion realizes who they are fighting. So they stop beating superman up, and they talk [Smile] . Nowhere in the comic does anything resembling the cover take place.

Its mostly a marketing thing [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow those were great, how much do the comics sell for these days? Did Superman and Lois really have a kid or were those just 'What if?' type stories?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Where's that rivka?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- not a comics fan
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Counter:
Wow those were great, how much do the comics sell for these days? Did Superman and Lois really have a kid or were those just 'What if?' type stories?

BC

DC has had so many different universes and restarts that they make the Highlander movies look logical.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.superdickery.com/dick/15.html

That one is great. [Razz]

He does have one of the worst superhero disguises ever.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh! That's the cover from the one where they explain it's all a Jedi Mind Trick (or the equivalent), right?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.superdickery.com/dick/25.html

My fave.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Robin...What have I done to you?"
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
this is funny

The stylist

[ROFL]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] That's great.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
And did you notice how well-coiffed the stylist himself was? I bet he can accessorize like Olympia Dukakis.
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. My. Gosh. [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my.

*laughs so hard she cries*

http://www.superdickery.com/dick/72.html

And if that's not bad enough:

http://www.superdickery.com/dick/82.html

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But he comes by it naturally. [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Oh, ouch!

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
These are pretty good too:

http://www.superdickery.com/dick/17.html

http://www.superdickery.com/dick/112.html

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.superdickery.com/seduction/13.html

So.Very.Wrong

[ROFL]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Rico. That first link is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Oh! you edited it? Or was that a Mod edit?

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe sorry yeah I edited it, here it is for those who want to see it:

http://www.superdickery.com/seduction/3.html

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Oh. My. Gosh. [ROFL]

Oh my. I know someone who must absolutely adore that one. (He is a comics fan, and most emphatically not a Jimmy fan.)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This one linked earlier gives me a chance to ask a question:

The Kryptonians were evidently capable of interstellar flight. In all that time, they must have gotten to a yellow sun. Once they noticed they had super strength, super-speed, nigh-invulnerability, photographic high-speed memory, flight, x-ray vision, and all the rest, wouldn't some of them have migrated?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from how funny some of them were, I found it fascinating to trace little things throughout the decades like the width of Superman's chin, the definition of his muscles, the curliness of his hair, the size of his hanging lock of hair, etc.

I also found it interesting that the cover designers have evidently never heard a toddler speak.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
This one linked earlier gives me a chance to ask a question:

The Kryptonians were evidently capable of interstellar flight. In all that time, they must have gotten to a yellow sun. Once they noticed they had super strength, super-speed, nigh-invulnerability, photographic high-speed memory, flight, x-ray vision, and all the rest, wouldn't some of them have migrated?

I can't tell you (because I don't know) what the comics have done with this sort of thing.

However, the usual explanation I've heard in L&C circles for why Jor-El and Lara sent off Kal-El (aka Clark/Supes) but didn't come with him is that Kryptonian interstellar abilities were only just getting to the point that small ships (big enough to hold a baby or a dog, but not an adult or two) were possible. This makes little sense to me, but hey -- it's comic-book physics! [Big Grin]

(It also breaks down when we look at the New Kryptonians and their ilk.)

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.superdickery.com/other/142.html

Beatle Craze! [ROFL]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.