FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hunter-gatherer Trait in Husbands

Author Topic: Hunter-gatherer Trait in Husbands
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, does anyone else's husband do this? Or fellas, do you do this?

Whenever my husband goes shopping, whether it be for food, hardware store items, or anything else, he has to sit me down and show me every single purchase, down to the Q-tips.

I thought it was just him, but then I spoke to a friend on the phone, saying I needed to call her back because he was showing me what he bought.

She said her husband did the same thing.

I asked more friends, and, come to think of it, their husbands also put all the purchases on the counter, or couch, as if to say, "Look what I did!"

Anyone else have this happen?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Errr . . . you mean everyone doesn't show off their purchases when they get home? Especially if they got a particularly good deal?

I have no one to show 'em off for these days. But when I did, I certainly did so!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I thought it was the other way around!

Whenever my wife returns from the mall I'm required to dutifully watch her fashion show and help her decide what to keep.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate John Gray...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I don't know, Rivka, when I buy milk, eggs, and bread, I just put them away. I am not talking about good bargains of special purchases, I am talking about everything. It drives me nuts, while it endears me to him more.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't show my wife what I bought. I'd rather not call her attention to it, in case it's wrong.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I do things like this for the sake of accountability...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I don't know, Rivka, when I buy milk, eggs, and bread, I just put them away. I am not talking about good bargains of special purchases, I am talking about everything. It drives me nuts, while it endears me to him more.

Ok, I don't have to show off the staples. Just the things that were new, a bargain, or otherwise noteworthy.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much never do this.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get an especially good deal at the supermarket, what with specials, coupons, shoppers club cards etc, I hang the receipt on the refrigerator, like a trophy.

[Blushing]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Basic groceries, no I don't show them off. But I have shown roommates odd or "new food item" purchases as a "Look what I got!" sort of thing.

If you want him to stop doing it, stop listening when he shows you all the groceries. Either help put stuff away before he gets a chance to show it or just say "Ok, good" and leave the room before he's finished.
Or maybe take it really, really seriously! Like you're testing him. "Hmm... eggs, grade A, yesyes..."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I actually think it's sweet.
He is not really looking for my approval, or afraid I will insult his purchasing habits, it really does feel more like a "Look what I did!" kind of thing.

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes when I'm out driving on a country road a deer jumps in front of my car and runs. Then I leap out and chase it down on foot and kill it with my car keys, and then I tear my shirt open and howl a cry of bloody victory to the wild pagan moon.

Okay. Maybe that was only that one time.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Blood isn't dripping down the sides of your mouth?

Not impressed.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll show her what I bought if a) I want her to know she doesn't need to buy it now herself, or b) it was an especially good deal, or c) I bought it for her. If there's no reason for her to see it, I generally don't bother showing her unless we're already talking about our day.

Then again, I don't hide anything I've bought either.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.