FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worldcom CEO gets 25yrs

Author Topic: Worldcom CEO gets 25yrs
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be hyperbole to say he ruined the industry, but I know a lot of people who suffered for what this guy did...

Good to see him go.

[ July 14, 2005, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

After all the hubub on this board about Greedy people ruining other people's economic lives, we have an instance of the Genuine Article getting sent to prison and no one has a comment?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
As I am not on a personal-name basis with anyone named Bernie, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
who?
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Bernie Ebbers, former CEO of Worldcom...

I thought it was rather big news, forgive me for not explaining.

Brief Summary: he bankrupted one of the largest Telecom corporations in the world by buying on margin to try to gain more power and using the company's assests to cover his personal losses.

edit: link

[ July 13, 2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say Bernie, I think of my rabbit...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Bernie Bunny... has kind of a ring to it...
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It is about time one of those idiots get jail time. [Big Grin]

Is that more like it? I even meant it, too... [Wink]

[ July 13, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Death to the opposition!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

YEAH! there we go!

I want Thor to weigh in, though... he should really be ecstatic...

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Try changing the subject line; I've been seeing this thread and assuming that it was a birthday thread for some new hatracker named Bernie.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

good suggestion... done [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this on the news - have to say, hadn't followed the story much before then.

His lawyer seemed pretty shocked at the sentence. Given his age (63, I think) it's pretty much the rest of his life.

I'm still unsure on what I think about long jail terms for corporate crimes. Not that I think they should go unpunished - but. Something I have to work through in my mind.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
woohoo! I'm happy about this, and if I'd been online when it just said Bernie I'd have known who you meant. Too bad he'll probably just go to a minimum security "rich folks" jail, but still better than nothing.

Anyone care to guess where I worked from 2001-2004?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

The same place I worked from '97-'99?
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas I simply worked at a company from 1999-2002 which was forced into bankruptcy (and subsequently out of business) by the practices of the company where you two worked.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

We were discussing how much *personal* responsibility he had for the collapse of the Telecom industry yesterday... we decided "more than any other single person"

Which one, Pop? I didn't know you were in the same biz I was...

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that really got me about this story as I was following it was an alleged quote between Bernie and the chief accountant. Apparently the accountant explained how they could report operational costs as capital investment to meet the projections, but that it wasn't ethical and probably illegal. Bernie said "We just have to hit those numbers."

That sentence sums up the prevailing attitude I saw at MCI. Just hit your numbers. It doesn't matter if you're cheating, screwing over the customer, telling lies, ripping off the rest of your team, as long as you hit the numbers that have been set for your goal.

The bankruptcy didn't hit me very bad; I didn't have any stock and didn't lose my job. But I had friends who'd been doing the employee stock purchase plan for years, pumping a big chunk of their paychecks into stock that was suddenly worthless. Thanks, Bernie, see you in 2030.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Telecom. An order of magnitude below the "big three," but at the time it was I believe the 6th largest in the U.S.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

yeah... wow... when you begin to wonder how many went down because of him, and then, on top of that, how all those crashes affected Vendors like Nortel and Ericsson...

25 yrs seems kinda light all of a sudden...

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that he cried when he heard the sentence. I tried, but I couldn't muster any sympathy for him.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're going to have the death penality, I feel like it should applicable in cases like this. Oftentimes, these people are responsible for much much greater personal suffering and damage to society than the ones we do execute and they are, in my uniformed opinion, much more likely than the average person on death row to factor "This could get me killed." into their thinking, so that it would actually act as a deterrent.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
in my uniformed opinion

honest question: was this a typo?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I make sure all my opinions are properly dressed. That one was wearing full Civil War regalia.

Either that, or I may have missed an 'n' in there somewhere.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I literally have tears rolling down my face right now.

Even when the question was posed, I thought maybe he wondered if it was intentional that the opinion was uninformed/informed. I didn't even get it till the Civil war comment.

Oh man, I'm a bit punchy, I think.

But I agree with you Squick. I think they are probably the only group that might take that into account. And you have to wonder just how many people he did kill. I mean, between suicides and heart attacks, I bet the number was pretty high.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I thought he might be subtly saying he was a policeman [Smile]
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I have followed most of the high profile cases, after seeing Ebbers get a mis-trial the first time cuz of the nutty old lady, i'd lost a bit of hope.

I am "happy" with this verdict.

This is the guy with the $10,000 dollar shower rod. heh heh heh

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And Thor, just think, he was prosecuted by the Bush administration for things he did mostly during the Clinton administration. [Wink]

Dagonee
P.S., I don't blame Clinton for this at all, nor do I think Clinton's DoJ wouldn't have successfully prosecuted - it's merely a mostly whimsical response to some older posts by you complaining about Bush being too soft on corporate crime.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see what happens to old KennyBoy Lay.

He (ENRON) was the #1 contributor to Bush's elections and re-elections (gov and pres), lets see how hard the hammer falls on him.

Ebbers was a nice step, that guy was an ass.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.