FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hydrogen news

Author Topic: Hydrogen news
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the article, it seems that a part of the cycle is missing.

I think it's:

How efficiently can you convert sodium hydroxide into sodium metal?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about that when I read the article, Glenn. Anyone know what the energy requirements are to make pure sodium mixed with silica gel?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with some friends from where I used to work. Turns out that sodium is made by electrolysis from sodium chloride. About the same efficiency as electrolysis of hydrogen from water. Then consider the heat lost as the sodium and water react, and it's no bargain.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. There are people who discuss these sorts of things in their spare time?

*impressed*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Jeez, used to be standard lunchtime fare. It was kind of cool that we liked our work enough that if the site director joined our lunch table we could still get away with 1 1/2 hour lunches because we came up with a lot of ideas for projects that way.

(Wishes I was back in research right now)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.