FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hollywood goes even more Comic Book Crazy!!

Author Topic: Hollywood goes even more Comic Book Crazy!!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
COMIC BOOKS!!!!

I thought they might take a little break after all the movies that came out this year. But it looks like the years between 2006-2009 are going to basically be a comic book festival in movies.

quote:
Next up for Marvel is "Ghost Rider," in summer 2006, with Nicolas Cage as a possessed motorcycle rider hellbent on justice
quote:
In various stages of development, Arad says, are movies for Thor (the hammer-welding Nordic hero), the Silver Surfer (who rides a flying surfboard), Captain America (the most patriotic hero, fashioned during WWII) and Namor the Sub-Mariner (one of the oldest superheroes -- think a more cranky Aquaman).

Also in the pipeline is Iron Man (who's protected by a suit of armor, to be directed by Nick Cassavetes), Doctor Strange (a sorcerer of the mystic arts), Nick Fury (a James Bond-like spy) and Black Panther (the first black comic book character, although he was beaten to the big screen by "Spawn").

quote:
Queen among them is "Wonder Woman," which is still several years off. Joss Whedon, the brains behind "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," will direct -- though the super-heroine may need some updating.
quote:
Closer to fruition are "The History of Violence" and "Aeon Flux," both out later this year.

"Violence" stars Viggo Mortensen, is directed by David Cronenberg and comes from the same publishers of "Road to Perdition." "Aeon Flux" stars Charlize Theron as the futuristic secret agent. It will get a sneak peak at Comic-Con Saturday

You know, despite how crazy it seems to have that ridiculously large number of comic book movies coming out, I'm really excited to see Iron Man, Captain America, and ESPECIALLY the Silver Surfer.

Edit to add: If you check IMDB, you can get some minor details on some of these movies. Iron Man and Captain America are on it, slated for 2007 I believe.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
and ESPECIALLY the Silver Surfer.

They have to use Joe Satriani for the sound track...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they are a few bringing $100 million plus there will be a ton of them coming out. Hopefully some of them will come close to being as good as Batman Begins.

Don't forget

"Superman Returns" directed by Bryan Singer (X-men)------- Summer 2006
Spiderman 3
X-Men 3
Live action Transformers
Rumors of Hulk 2 even though the first one was terrible

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the big three, Superman, X-men 3 and Spiderman 3.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
JINX!!!
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I hate when that happens.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Don't think I've heard any of his music.

I'm wondering at the voice of Galacticus. Would have to be on par with Orson Welles, John Colicos (voice of Apocolypse on the 90's X Men Cartoons), James Blendick (voice of Galacticus in the cartoon) or James Earl Jones. But none of them (except maybe Blendick), especially since two of them are dead.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm VERY nervous about live action Transformers. I'm giddy about X3 and Spiderman 3 (so long as they don't muck up the plots and villains too much).

LA Transformers though ::shudders:: I've seen some horrible horrible things done trying to turn cartoon robots into live action. Gundam comes to mind. IF it works out well though. I'd love to see a live action version of Transformers the movie.

And then, VOLTRON!!!

Member # 7476

I was worried as well about the Transformers movie until I saw this ad.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Link didn't work for me. Led me to a page that made my computer freak out.
Member # 7476

Sorry, I fixed the link...
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe's breakout album "Surfin' with the Alien" featured the Silver Surfer on the cover... it's instrumental heavy metal guitar... but pretty good despite that.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

Here is more info on Trans.
Sounds like they might be trying to do it right, It still scares me.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3280

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Black Panther (the first black comic book character,
This is just not true. You can argue until you are blue in the face over who was the "real" first black super-hero, but one thing is for sure, it wasn't the Black Panther.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

LOL I totally forgot about that ad. Yeah, at least that proves it's POSSIBLE. But even that is only a small piece of the battle.

The second article also gives me some hope. This is a good team they are getting together.

Did you read down to the links at the bottom? Halle Berry is returning as Storm in X3, and says it will be the last movie of what is considered a trilogy. Don't know how that counts as a trilogy really, the movies seem unconnected so far.

Xavier
Member # 405

Oh and as much of a marvel comics fan as I am, I can see pretty much all these movies as complete flops.

Only a truly great film-maker can make a live action Thor or Silver Surfer movie that isn't completely cheesy.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the indy comnics/movies, like "V For Vendetta."

Although now that a) Alan Moore has loudly repudiated the movie version, and b) London has actually been bombed, I dunno if this movie will come out any time soon.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't "worry" Chris, V will come out. They changed the backstory so that instead of Britain becoming fascist all on its own, it takes place in an elsewhere in which the Nazis won the Battle of Britain but stopped their plans for global domination. And you know how much people love blowing up Nazis.

Anyway, Arad's a greedy dick who's screwing up X-men 3 just to spite Superman Returns. Plus he's flooding the market with stuff people just don't want to watch. Who would go to a Thor movie?

They should just stick to the top guns (Spidey, X-men, Bats, Supes) and stop trying to turn every single property into a movie.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fairly certain that when they say that about Black Panther, what they really mean to say is the first western, mainstream published, black comic book superhero, with their own book.

That would make it true.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

it takes place in an elsewhere in which the Nazis won the Battle of Britain but stopped their plans for global domination. And you know how much people love blowing up Nazis.

What a freaking cop-out.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't forget the indy comnics/movies, like "V For Vendetta."

Although now that a) Alan Moore has loudly repudiated the movie version, and b) London has actually been bombed, I dunno if this movie will come out any time soon.

Well, I'm pretty sure the Watchmen movie was intended to keep the comic ending intact. Whether or not it ever gets made is another question.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Captain America (the most patriotic hero, fashioned during WWII)
quote:
You know, despite how crazy it seems to have that ridiculously large number of comic book movies coming out, I'm really excited to see Iron Man, Captain America, and ESPECIALLY the Silver Surfer.
Geez, finally someone realizes they should make a movie about me. [Wink]

Edit: You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get the quote thing the way I wanted it. And, which suprises me, I did it right.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

They already have, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/.

It just so happens its one of the worst movies of all time, but its still about you! [Wink]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

That one doesn't count. I knew it existed already, but I've always discounted it because it, along with Howard the Duck, apparently sucked.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who would go to a Thor movie?

Here's the deal. You give me a big shot at making a Norse Mythology movie and I'll knock the ball out of the park and give you religion.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
See, a movie that was actually about Norse mythology could be cool. Potentially. Possibly. But a movie about the comic book character Thor? That I'm not so sure about.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I could see it as a decent movie. Or a movie with a cast composed entirely of cheesy action figures. I think the second would be better on a whole.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine a Thor movie with a screenplay by Neil Gaiman or someone else who can write convincing god dialogue and deific problems in current society.

Go back to basics -- no Beta Ray Bill for this one. Dr. Don Blake is traveling in Norway, finds a stick, and discovers that he is the true son of Odin, sent to earth as a lame doctor as punishment for his hubris. Get into his personal battle against his own arrogant self, Thor's battle against his even more arrogant kinsmen and 21st century America, and show how ultimately Thor finds humility and the strength that comes from it, all while battling Loki's sinister plan.

Focus on the person instead of the special effects, don't let me guess every plot point before it happens, make everyone in the movie smart enough so that I can't jump ahead, and give the bad guy an evil plan that not only sounds like it has a chance of succeeding but sounds like it really couldn't be stopped bdecause when the hero manages to stop it anyway at the risk of his or her life, I want to be frickin' amazed.

Do all that and you can do a great movie about any superhero.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Would we have to wait for a sequal to get Ragnorak?

[Smile]

It has apparently been played out in Thor:Dissasembled, which I hear had a surprising amount of interest. I may pick up the trade paperback.

And if they actually do make all those movies, are we going to see any crossovers?

For instance, Hulk and Thor were both founding members of the Avengers, and Silver Surfer showed up as a villian in a Fantastic Four comic. Add to that the fact that Wolverine made his debut in a Hulk comic...

Seems like its never going to happen, because the movie universes are largely separate places (like in the comics), but it could make for some decent movie moments, if done right.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I could easily see crossover movies being made.

Once they play out each story line to what they consider to be it's fullest, they will start crosses universes like farmers breed cows.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.