FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Beer- Inspired by the Moan and Dove

Author Topic: Beer- Inspired by the Moan and Dove
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sent a link to the dating hatracker thread by Raventh and found mention of the bar I'm probably considered a regular at. And, in fact just got back from. (btw Elizabeth, do you like the M&D? If so we should totally go. I'm still working on my list!)

So the M&D is a bar where you can find all sorts of expensive snobby beers. As someone who's discovered that their beer taste is basically Belgium beer it's great. So what are your favorite beers/beer bars?

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple Beer. Which is ONLY freakin available in Utah.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so there with you, Sarah! Just let me know when.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
So is Apple beer different than hard cider. We had Strongbow hard cider in London. Mmmmmm

I had Cantillon and Anderson Valley Pale Ale tonight. yum yum

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple Beer is nonalcoholic, so my guess is yeah, it's different. [Smile]
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sarah, I need to email you about other issues, such as your potential need for blankets and other things that re going on Freecycle.

I have friends visiting this weekend(as well as the green river fest), then GrassRoots next week, then we will be back. I am ready for a Moan and Dove partner in the area. My husband hates beer.

If only Punwit were closer! I know he would love it there.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
A few faves:

La Trappe Belgian Ale
1554 by New Belgium Brewing Co.(the guys that do Fat Tire)
McEwan's Ale
Guiness (esp. Irish Car Bombs)
Dos Equis Amber Ale
Shiner Bock

Pretty Much anything Dark or "Red"

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
James Squire Amber Ale
James Squire Pilsner
Redback
Negro Modela

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite bar, however, is this little place in Sydney called Cafe Pacifico. It has a wall of the finest tequila, serves amazing Mexican food (the Mexican Olympic team spent most of their down-time in this bar during the 2000 Olympics) and stocks Negro Modela.

I would almost move states to be near that bar again.....

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Belgian Ales (edit: that I have tried)have that hint of honey-sweetness, which is why I like 'em :-)
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

T, I thought something was odd about you drinking. Do you like ginger beer? [Smile]

Mahrs Weiss has a bannana aftertaste that makes it really interesting.

There's also some beer that tastes like ham and cheese. Someone told me it tastes like bacon. I think it's awful *ick*

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there are many Belgian *lagers*, so maybe you had a Belgian Strong Ale, or Special Ale?

I love almost everything from Unibroue in Canada, beers with lots of tasty spices like Harpoon's Winter Warmer and Dogfish Head's Punkin' Ale, Belgian farmhouse ales, wheat beers, and strong ales... pretty much any well-crafted beer that's low on hops and high on fruit and/or spices. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Stella Artois is a Belgian lager.

It's nice to see some beer afficionados on the list.

I am a home brewer, too! I make an AbFab medium body red ale! It is called Southfarthing Ale.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
STEEEELLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Heh.

I'd actually forgotten about Stella Artois, since it's not shelved in the Belgian section of our beer store. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
Guinness Draught and Holy Grail Ale
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

quote:
Sarah, I need to email you about other issues, such as your potential need for blankets and other things that re going on Freecycle.

You can also try sosentos at cs dot umass dot edu

What is Freecycle?

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Freecycle is an email lit where you can(if you are me) give things away that are clogging up your flow of chi in the house. You can also ask for things that people are offering, or express a need for an item. I was just thinking that some of the things I am ditching, you might want, and I would ask you first.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We had Strongbow hard cider in London. Mmmmmm
It's really good when mixed with Guinness.

Black Velvet...<drools>
Guinness...<drools>

Donut... [Big Grin]

Edit to add: I forgot to add favorite bar.

-In San Diego it is The Field, which is downtown by the ballpark.

-In Virginia I frequented JD's. Basically because it was just a small hole in the wall place that I had an extremely low chance of meeting up with people I worked with.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Whenever I go to the M and D, I always order Arrogant Bastard Ale on tap, if they have it. I just love it.

I did enjoy a barley wine I had there as well.

The coolest thing is that wach beer has its own special glass. Some of them are just beautiful.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.