FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mythbusters

Author Topic: Mythbusters
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not often Mark and I find a TV show we both like so much that we start to plan our weeks around it. "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel is so totally worth it, though. The first time I caught it, I had no idea what I was watching, and I was all, "what the heck are these idiots doing making hovercrafts out of leaf blowers?" [Big Grin]

Wednesday at 9. Discovery Channel. Bring the kids. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
They were great in their first season. Then they brought on the "interns" and it sucks eggs now.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

The Mythterns? [Big Grin]

Man, I think they just get better and better. I now know that diving under water while being chased by gunmen probably WILL shield you from being shot. [Smile]

And you never would have had that creepy Chinese Water Torture episode without the Mythterns. [Eek!]

I've learned so much from this show, and had so many good laughs... If/when we move out to SF, I'm going to buy those guys a beer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah they are "busting" the myths shown in Jaws durring "Shark Week"
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

You should buy the DVDs of the first season and see what you missed. They really used up all the good myths in that season.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Like what? I've seen several reruns, but I don't know which are from the first season. Was the one with the dried cement in the cement truck from then? That one was AWESOME.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mythbusters! It's probably my favorite TV show right now. And it's a great show even if some of their experiments aren't particularly scientific.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor buster ;O)
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with 99% of their findings, but I disagree with their AC/Open Window findings. They tested which got the better gas mileage, but used an SUV. The myth that closed windows get better gas mileage by way of less drag and more aerodynamic shape. SUV's they used had little aerodynamic shape so no wonder that the AC useage drank more gas.

But I digress.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Oh!! No, you know what my favorite episode was lately? The drunk driving vs. driving with a cell phone episode. That was so cool!
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, make sure you send them an e-mail about that. I think they've retested a myth or two if someone brought up a valid point about their conclusion.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to see them do the "shoot an air tank, blow up a shark" scene from Jaws.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Dag!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icec0o1
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Icec0o1   Email Icec0o1         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show! The cement truck was the tightest thing ever; they blew the crap out of it! The penny drop from the empire state building was pretty nice as well. The shart myths will be must see probably.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Mythbusters. My favorite is probably the episode where they proved it was possible to break a glass with the human voice. I also love just about anything involving balistics gel.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
Mythbusters is awsome and i also think the cement truck was way cool. But the salsa escape was pretty cool as well. And yes the will redo an experment if you make a valid point on it the have one whole ep. that is on re-test experments and they have goten completly diffrnt results with some like the chicken cannon.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge fan, as well. It's a near-perfect geek show, even down to not always getting the science right. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Love it. I love when they have competitions in which Adam is almost always trounced by Jamie. Some great television.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, yeah. If they always got the science right we'd be deprived of the pleasure of complaining about them screwing up the science.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that I can put metal in my microwave. It just heats to the point of a big ouch.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the episodes are really awesome, like the one where they broke the winglass with only a person's voice. There have been a couple times that I've felt that they gave a myth up as "busted" too early to be conclusive.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a site that condenses the shows for me? I really like the show but never have time to watch it. I am still interested though in what they have to say. For example: Penny dropped from Empire State Building-true/false. Something that briefly explains the experiments and results.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scottneb:
They were great in their first season. Then they brought on the "interns" and it sucks eggs now.

Exactly what I thought! That and the fact that they started making stupid arguments for TV like a lot of the other stupid Discovery channel shows out there (like american chopper and those ones). I loved the first season, but Extreme Engineering got me hooked too, until they randomly pulled that off the air.... [Frown]
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
Love it. I love when they have competitions in which Adam is almost always trounced by Jamie. Some great television.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

That quote was about something Adam had stated previously, and then said something later that contradicted it. They even showed what he had said before.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that sounds like an awesome show!

too bad I'm working wednesday... lets see if I can remember to tape it...

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they usually have several episodes on Saturday mornings.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a huge fan of the "Mytherns" myself, but I have to admit that were I not married, I would be writing love letters to Carrie c/o the studio. I'm perfectly aware that she's on the show to add some cheesecake, but she's the only such cheesecake to ever appeal to me on any geek show. Ever. *sigh*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Great show. I liked the cement truck, and the one where they were supposed to use salsa to escape from a prison cell.

The recent one with the "ancient batteries" was funny too... watching Adam have a "religious experience" using electricity was entertaining [Big Grin]

"Say, you guys didn't hook this thing up to the electric fence battery, did you?"

"Hah-hah.. we should've thought of that!" *snicker snicker*

"Riiight..." *touches altar, is thrown backward* "GahhhH!" [ROFL]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The Jaws episode is on tonight to kick off Shark Week, not Wednesday, I think.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't thrilled about the Build Team at first either, but I have to admit they've grown on me. I was disappointed to realize Scottie isn't on the show anymore, but the new guy, Grant, seems cool enough, I guess.

And yes, Kari is all kinds of hot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking forward to the Shark week episodes for a while. It is on tonight at 9 Eastern. I'll be watching.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I called it. [Smile] I told my husband that when the tank was shot it would just shoot around like a balloon that you let go of and the air escapes.

I was right. [Smile] Though I was sorry they did finally blow up Fred, he was kind of cute.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Here's my problem: if a tank gets shot down a shark's throat and then releases 80 cf of air, might the shark blow up?

Also, what's with this average shark stuff? We're talking the biggest ever - they should at least use the 4500 verified weight, and then the three barrels is doable.

The boat pulled backwards, though, is busted.

scottneb
Member # 676

I think their budgets are getting way out of hand.

I think I'll stick with the low-budget first season, where they had to actually do the work themselves.

Plus, what's with the cue-card reading? They all sound like those doofuses on American Chopper when they do their recaps.

Where, oh where did the purity go.

SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I find that I learn from the show is all the different myths there are. I had no idea some of them even existed, and at one point I just thought they were making it up. The eel skin wallet was what made start thinking like that.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Kari the redhead? The one they painted silver? Or did the Chinese water torture to?

If so, I fully agree with you Tom. She's very hot.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Here's Kari's Mythbusters bio:

quote:

While studying film and sculpture at San Francisco State University, Kari Byron's parents wondered what kind of job she'd actually end up with in the real world; she would be writing, directing and starring in B-level horror films one day, and sculpting intricate model dragons for Dungeons & Dragons games the next.

After she graduated, Kari started out as an artist. She worked in sculpture and painting, and held successful exhibitions at some of San Francisco's leading galleries.

Sculpting led to model-making and toy-prototyping, which led her to a job with Jamie at M5 Industries. Enter Mythbusters! Kari made her debut during the "Vacuum Toilet" episode. Jamie needed a 3-D scan of a person's backside, and Kari happened to be in the right place at the right time!

Aside from being an avid fencer and knife thrower, Kari has been chased by machine-gun-toting Egyptian police for painting a mural in Dahab, has trekked in the Himalayas, and has scuba-dived in most of the world oceans.

-------

And while looking for her bio, I found this legal text explaining the terms of a fan contest/challenge:

quote:

(c) Designs in both categories must employ only solar power in the design and construction of the experiment. No explosives, pyrotechnics or other flammable materials will be permitted under any circumstances.

(d) You will be responsible for all time spent and costs associated with your building, performing and filming your solar death ray.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, ALL the cast bios are fascinating. Did you know Christine collects vintage skirts?
IanO
Member # 186

Very nice.

Actually, I know a girl who looks very much like her and is recently single.

hmmmm...

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>An erratic fencer and knife thrower, Kari .. .

I read 'erotic.'

[Eek!]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm still curious where you got "erratic."
IanO
Member # 186

Freudian slip with a bit of spelling problems.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

I think Tom may be referring to the fact that the original word was, in fact, "avid", not "erratic".

[Big Grin]

Scott R
Member # 567

>>I'm still curious where you got "erratic."

From her profile on the website, which apparently has changed between our two readings:

Kari's profile

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I was *trying* to be funny.
Scott R
Member # 567

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

How odd. It HAS changed. But why would it change for the WORSE?
IanO
Member # 186

Well, *I* thought it was funny.

Jeez, when did the funny-police show up?

Scott R
Member # 567

>>why would it change for the WORSE?

Well. . .

Honesty?

When I gave my bio to folks at Writer's of the Future, I realized I had . . . exaggerated several of my life's exploits. I went back and changed the wording so that it reflected the more normal me before submitting the final copy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.