FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Family Therapist

Author Topic: Family Therapist
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone here a family therapist? I need to have an interview with you using MSN, AIM or Yahoo messenger. It's for a college paper that I'm working on and the topic is "Family Conflict in a Single Parent Household."
Can anyone here help me?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but we often have family conflict in our single parent household -- so if you need any more input in that area, MSN me.
[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
When is the paper due?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Judging based on the post's timestamp, unless she's in another country, I'm gonna guess soon. [Wink]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I found you a woman who is studying marriage and family counselling. She is doing her internship now and graduates in May. Will that do? I can give you her aim tomorrow.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If it would help you, I could pretend to be a family therapist to help you with your homework. I've met some, and they aren't all that special or difficult to impersonate.

But I have to wait for my teenage son to wake up to show me how to use that AIM thing again.

<I think I hear the sound of giant footfalls. That may be him rolling out of bed now.>

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I can never see the word 'therapist' without mentally inserting a space after 'the'. [/TMI]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop that KoM! Maybe you need analysis to help you deal with your inner demons. Or a good exorcism.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A good exorcism always cheers up MY day.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
"This guy reads off a card!"

"Suck it, Trebek!"

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my paper is due tommorow and I don't know if I;ll be able to be online today, but I think I will. Anyhoot, my AIM is: vianeygpe
MSN: altariel@tokyo.com
Yahoo: belldanime
E-mail: altariel@tokyo.com

Feel free to contact me or add me to your buddy list or whatnot.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've met some, and they aren't all that special or difficult to impersonate.
Ouch. That's quite a diss to their schooling and training.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
I've met some, and they aren't all that special or difficult to impersonate.
Ouch. That's quite a diss to their schooling and training.
Apologies! Sincere apologies. No offense intended (although on re-reading my post, I can understand how offense was taken). I really DO know some family therapists, both friends and family, although I haven't consulted with them professionally. In day to day life, they seem just like, well, just like folk.

Now I'm embarrassed. I honestly didn't mean to hurt feelings.

Forgive me?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't my feelings. I am not and don't know any family therapists. It just seems like a statement from someone who doesn't know the field very well and assumes that there's nothing to it.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
'Course they're regular folk when not acting in a professional capacity. Alt, will a social worker do or does it have to be a license marriage and family therapist? I know a few and could hook you up.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. I do individual therapy, so I guess I'm of no help at all.

However, the above posts reminded me of one time when I was about 17 and I was driving somewhere with my best friend and i saw my psychologist in the car in front of us, so I pointed her out to my friend.

Her response was an incredulous, "Oh my god! She looks just like a normal person!"

I wonder if people will be saying that about me in 4 years.

*sighs*

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That seems like a very relaxed attitude for someone who is asking for help on a paper that's due tomorrow, Alt.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'm not really relaxed. That's just the way I type. But if you want to know what I really feel like...well, you asked for it.

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AoD to Hatrack, AoD to Hatrack. I need reinforcements, repeat, I need reeinforcements. I have a freakin' paper due tommorow and I've no idea how the heck I'm going to pass my class without you guys. AoD needs your help, AoD needs your help. Hatrackers, I need to speak with either a family therapost or someone who lives in a single parent home and knows how trouble some things can get. Farmgirl, an interview with you would be very much appreciated. Please contact me ASAP via the previously mentioned ways. TTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Altariel, have you thought of picking up your yellow pages and calling one right in your town to interview? A good friend of ours is a licensed family therapist, and I'm pretty sure he would be delighted to grant an interview to a local student. He's off today (he works Sat and Sun, so he takes Mon and Fri off), though, so I can't suggest him in particular. Call a few in your town.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time do the interview portion of your paper several weeks ahead of time. You can still have all the fun of writing it the night before.... [Wink]

All snarkiness aside, good luck finding someone AoD!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

good idea jeniwren. thx. i'd still like to speak with farmgirl though.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I see you are on AIM now, but my friend in internship has gone to bed already. Give us more advance notice next time.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'll be online tommorow, but not on aim. Since I will be at school, I'll be using MSN. Is that still all right with you?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Anyhoot, here is the email I sent to a local therapist who never responded. I hope she can help me with the questions here.

quote:
Hello, My name is Vianey Gonzalez. I came across your website using the
google search engine, and I was wondering if you would mind answering a
few questions for a college essay I'm currently working on about family
conflict in a one-parent household. Do you think you would have the time
to help me on this? If so, please answer the following questions, I
would've preferred a personal interview but due to my schedule, I will
not be able to. However, should you happen to use any instant messenger services, we can arrange an online conversation using one.
Here is my messenger service information:
AIM: vianeygpe
Yahoo: belldanime
MSN: altariel@tokyo.com

Note: These questions all deal with a one-parent household in which the
mother is the only supporting parent and the children are a boy and a
girl a year and a half younger than the boy. The father does not pay
child support and only comes by every so often and whenever he does, the
mother gets extremely angry at his presence

1.) What is the main reason for conflict in these sorts of families?

2.) If the other parent appears sometimes and tries to cause friction by
trying to turn one of the children against the supporting parent, what
should that parent do?

3.) What happens when the older child vents all its anger at the younger
one without the parent noticing? Should the parent not believe in what
the younger child states about the older child, where should the child seek external help?

4.) As time progressed, and the children became older, the frustrations
of the older child began to lead him farther from the family. How can the
family bond together again?

5.) It is perfectly understandable that the supporting parent feels anger
and frustration at the many things that took place when the divorce
happened, but what happens when those angers start affecting the
children?

These are all the questions I needed you to help me with, please take the
time to answer as fully as you can. I must really thank you for helping
me on this and I look forward to seeing you should I ever need your
guidance in real life. Thank you.

Vianey Gonzalez

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.