FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You're all too smart (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: You're all too smart
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a dobie (I think I'm using that word correctly)...

But you people all are just too darn smart.

I'm undescribably jealous.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may mean a mayfly.

Mayfly refers to a thread the thread-starter intends to delete, and dobie refers to a thread that is a play on words of another active thread title.

Unless I missed the thread you're playing on, in which case you're using it right and I've made a strong argument against all hatrackers being too smart.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Well. This thread wasn't intended to be a play on words.

Sheesh. Shows what I know, huh.

Now I'll laugh at myself. [Laugh]

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
chungwa

it's easy to act as smart as the rest of them
just agree with everything and use words like

antidisestablishmentarianism

every once in a while

(and before anyone says anything I DO know what antidisestablishmentarianism means)

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but can you use it in a sentence about gay marriage and the war in Iraq?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Preferably with at least one pun? [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The antidisestablishmentarian faction in Iraq is hostile to the US because the loss of strict social control by the established clerical laws means gay marriage may one day become a reality in Iraq.

Edit: Dang. I missed ketchupqueen's post.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
antidisestablishmentarianism is too long of a word for smarterchild, it overloads his brain circuts.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, Chungwa, it's indescribably not undescribably. [Wink]

But I'm just teasing. I'm sure you're very smart, and there's not one genius on this board. Just lots of people who pretend.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Speak for yourself, Raia.. [Razz]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Btw, Chungwa, it's indescribably not undescribably. [Wink]

Yes, well. Thank you for proving my point [Embarrassed]

It was nice of you to tell me that I'm smart anyways, though. In spite of my obvious errors my ego is already about as big as it should be.

[ July 17, 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Chungwa ]

Raia
Member # 4700

Kwea: I was, actually... [Wink]

But Chungwa fits right in, IMO!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and there's not one genius on this board.
That's a rather sweeping claim. Can you prove it?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

No! Ok, leave me alone! *sulks in corner*

These are all geniuses! It's something in the water!

Better?

estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes something seems smart when, in fact, it's just clever. And sometimes it's just silly painted with big words. For example, use all these words in a single sentence:

Defeat
Deduct
Defense
Detail

My favorite?

"Defeat of Deduct went over Defense before Detail."

P.S. You should read that out loud for full effect.

P.P.S. I'll be going now.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Unless I missed the thread you're playing on, in which case you're using it right and I've made a strong argument against all hatrackers being too smart.

[ROFL]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just lots of people who pretend.
Where's Jon Boy?
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
quote:
and there's not one genius on this board.
That's a rather sweeping claim. Can you prove it?
I'm willing to bet that the number of geniuses on hatrack is not equal to one.

Proving it would involve either trusting people when they post their IQ and whatnot, or some form of independant testing on our part which would be far more effort than I'm about to put into it.

--Enigmatic
(may be a genius, doesn't actually know)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, several Hatrackers have discussed IQ tests in a way that strongly suggested that the majority of those of our regulars who know their IQ scores last tested well above 150.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't. does it mean nobody will love me anymore?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
For you, Kama, we'll all lower our extraordinary IQ's! [Razz]

Seriously, now, have you ever seen a smart boy in front of a beautiful girl? Does he seem smart anymore?! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

oh, good to know.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Chungwa, you see, I seem to have made rather a fool of myself, but nobody's told me to go away yet. [Razz]
Kama
Member # 3022

go away.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Someone's in a foul mood today... Power fluctuations?!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Menst...

Nevermind.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The table here which estimates your IQ based on your GRE says I should have around a 141 IQ.

When looking up "genius IQ" my first hit says that "over 140 - Genius or near genius".

I find the thought that I myself am a genius fairly laughable, so obviously something is wrong here [Smile] .

But, if I am somewhere even close to 140, then I would have no problem believing that there are dozens of hatrackers who have over a 150.

Not that anyone cares really [Smile] . You can have a 180 IQ, and still not be able to string an argument together. Or make a series of groan-worthy puns [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Kama: [Frown]

*goes away*

*sniff*

Corwin
Member # 5705

*catches Raia and brigs her back*

You're not going anywhere, dear! [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I checked that website, and I'm a flanken genius! I should consult with a super-genius to find out why someone with an IQ as astoundingly high as mine can not make heads or tails out of the intructions that came with the furniture from IKEA. Who makes up the clientele of that establishment, anyway? [Confused]

Seriously, any monkey can talk about being a misunderstood genius, and any monkey can listen to some other monkey bragging about being a misunderstood genius, but a true genius can be recognized by the non-monkey population.

There is no point to that except I feel sorry for the poor underutilized [Monkeys] graemlin, and I try to fit it in where I can.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

*pats Corwin on the head*

*gives Raia a cookie*

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, any monkey can talk about being a misunderstood genius, and any monkey can listen to some other monkey bragging about being a misunderstood genius...
Ha! So funny, and so very true. You win the thread. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
*distributes bananas*
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

*distributes typewriters*

Get to work!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You win the thread.
I win! What's my prize?

<eyes a piece of thread>

<sigh>

Can I get a needle to go with that?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the SAT IQ table is pretty cool, I know my scores on both, and it matched them up within a half a point!
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Aja's right. I'm really impressed by that SAT table -- or, rather, amazed by how closely SAT scores correlate to testable IQ. It got within two points of my actual IQ.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea the two tests could be so closely related. I took one when I was 8 years old and the other when I was 17, and from what I remember they tested completely different types of things. :shrug:
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure "impressed" is the word I'd use.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
the monkeys are everywhere!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Do I get smart points for linking to a page that impresses people?

[Monkeys]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scottneb:
quote:
Just lots of people who pretend.
Where's Jon Boy?
That was just hurtful. [Cry]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

You know Jon, it's not really fun to make you cry anymore. You do it way too often. [Smile]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's cause some girls dig guys that can show strong emotion.

*comforts Jon*

There, there. It'll be ok.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I'm not sure "impressed" is the word I'd use.

Yeah, it's also dismaying, since it suggests that either the SAT or the IQ test really is a remarkably flawed test of what it's supposed to be testing.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
That's cause some girls dig guys that can show strong emotion.

*comforts Jon*

There, there. It'll be ok.

Yeah, take that, Scott!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm smart in all the weird ways, apparently, because my SAT scores didn't touch my IQ. Although I did better on the ACT, so I think it's just that my aptitude lies in different areas.

IQ is way overrated, anyway.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I, personally, think that any test which relies on multiple choice questions is inherently flawed. The problem is that without multiple choice, objective grading is nearly impossible.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.