FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Liam Neeson confirmed to be the voice of Aslan in the "Narnia" movie!

Author Topic: Liam Neeson confirmed to be the voice of Aslan in the "Narnia" movie!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
It was announced at the San Diego Comic Con today...

I'm pleased. I think Neeson will be quite good in this role.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow! That is awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That was my intitial reaction, MPH, but then I realized that's pretty much my intial reaction to anyone I can think of for the part.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah...nothing will ever match the voice that my imagination has supplied for Aslan.

Still, for the film version I think Neeson is one of the better choices.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

He has such a gentle voice though, I think he'll be great.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Connery probably would have had a good Aslan voice. But then again, he voice is probably over used and too easily recognizabe, it would be distracting. Especially since he did the voice for the dragon in "Dragonheart".
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If only Burt Lahr were still around.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream about Liam Neeson last night....I think he will be perfect for Aslan.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of something similar to John Rhys-Davies's protrayal of Treebeard (actually, more his portrayal of Prince Thrakhath in Wing Commander III, but it's pretty similar), but Neeson should do a fine job.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I kind of like the obvious choice. You can't have a lion played by anybody other than James Earl Jones. Although I might make an exception if they were to get Diane Rheem [Wink]
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
But...then Aslan would have that creaky old lady's voice! I mean, I like Diane Rheem, but her voice drives me nuts!

Edited to add that Liam Neeson doesn't bother me too much. I'd have preferred a deeper voice, personally, but this is ok, I guess.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Other news from the Comic Con Narnia panel...

Warning: Some minor plot/character spoilers.

Glad that the new montage footage has quieted some of the misgivings of those labled the film a LotR/HP/UE clone based on the teaser.

I predict the Narnia movie _will_ be true to the source material.

Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
I'd have preferred a deeper voice, personally, but this is ok, I guess.
That's what I thought too Megan.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, had they gotten the voice acting done a few months ago we could have had Thurl Ravenscroft but no... *Grumbles*

Actually, I think he might do well as Aslan. Should be interesting. We'll just have to see...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

A few months ago Brian Cox was cast in the role, but his voice quality changed.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
He does have a very gentle voice. Aslan can be extremely gentle, but he also has some "tooth" and "bite" to his voice when he gets down to business. I wonder well how ol' Liam will pull it off?

Of course, if you digitally alter the voice, even slightly, you can do wonders.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Liam Neeson was the perfect choice when I saw him suggested by someone in the other thread. I had no idea he was actually in the running.

Woo Liam. [Smile] He'll do great.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

More pictures from the SDCC:

Aslan and Jadis, the White Witch figurines.

Mr. Tumnus, a Satyr, and a "Minoboar".

One fierce-looking centaur!

Jadis wearing her "Stone Table" outfit. (Her Dwarf slave nearby.)

A minotaur from the Witch's army.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Neeson will be perfect...

And his voice can bite and project just fine... watch Batman Begins [Smile]

For those that wanted deeper, I think first, that too deep is a mistake... I think sounding wise while still being able to sound young and vigourous and sounding majestic when it's so gentle as to be lamb-like are the primary attributes and Neeson is about as good as a human voice I can think of.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, Dag-which side were you fighting for in the Kilrathi wars! Prince Thrackath was the bad guy! [Embarrassed]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG I will get NO more work done this afternoon. I have the Narnia movie site bookmarked, hadh't checked it in a few weeks, and now this fount of info!! I'm in fantasy-bliss.

yay!!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Mr. Neeson's voice is purrrfect for Aslan. Check out some of his recordings of children's books. Seriously.

2. You can't get deeper than that without sounding too... too. Darth Vader as Aslan? nooooopers.

*dances*

Though I knew this early last week, because it had been leaked to some sites and a rabid Star Wars fan posted it to an SF mailing list I'm on. I suppose it's unladylike to gloat, but... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Neeson for Aslan, actually. He can be gentle, stern, commanding-- all at once. Good choice.

He really is a wonderful actor.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It almost goes without saying that I agree with Porter and Dag. It's why I hardly ever post anymore [Wink] Actually I'm just really busy. What's UE?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.