FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I finally agree with Karl Rove on something

Author Topic: I finally agree with Karl Rove on something
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

White House senior adviser Karl Rove, after telling Time reporter Matthew Cooper in 2003 that the wife of an administration critic worked for the CIA, closed the conversation by noting "I've already said too much."

Yes, Karl, in so many ways...you have.

Seriously though, it's just not rising to the level of an illegal disclosure. Nasty and stupid, sure, but then, we already knew that about Karl and so far all it's gotten him is promoted.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
All I want is Bush to honor his pledge to fire anybody involved in leaking information about Plame that works at the white house, I'm not out to get Rove (or whomever it turns out to definitively be) indicted.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you slay me! I find so much in the news lately to be, well, disappointing.

There is much more to be said, but, oh, what's the point. [Frown]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wven if it isn't a criminal offense, Rove can't possibly be allowed to have access to any kind of sensitive information at all after this unless the president wants to make it look like he supports this kind of thing. It seems to me that he almost has to be fired because he can't do his job if he can't have access to sensitive information.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Problem is, they just don't need to mention him being given sensitive information, and then nobody notices its happened.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Well, I'm guessing that people can assume as deputy chief of staff, fugu, that he's going to have to have to see some things. Lol.

It was foolish of Bush to keep this guy so close in the first place. I mean, it's an open secret that he's a political animal of the highest order. Bush's close relationship with him undermines a lot of the 'Aw, shucks. I'm just a warm-hearted good ol' boy' schtick that we've come to know and love.

Frankly, were I Bush, I would have sent him out to deepest, darkest Texas. Put him on ice, get him out of sight, and thawed him out around election time every couple years or so but otherwise keep my distance from him.

[ July 18, 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Eh, except when he's in the news, the public doesn't really care.

Unless he's fired now things will just go back to as they were.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*shakes fist*

Stupid public.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
What has become of the story that Rove actually got the information from Novak? I think Rove is political scum, but does the story truly start with him or was he just passing along what he had heard without caring (or thinking) of the possible repercussions?
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Sopwith,

to the extent I've been following the permutations on this, there are discrepancies between claims made by Rove (through leaked testimony) and at least one of the reporters.

The big news, today, though, is this:

Bush backs off earlier language on firing leaker(s)

quote:
July 18 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush said he would fire any member of his administration who broke the law as prosecutors focus on White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove in their investigation of the disclosure of a covert intelligence agent to reporters.

``If somebody committed a crime, they will no longer work in my administration,'' Bush said today during a White House news conference with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of India. ``It's best that people wait until the investigation is complete before you jump to conclusions.''

Bush's statement offers more protection for administration officials who may have discussed agent Valerie Plame with reporters, said Stephen Gillers, a law professor at New York University. On June 10, 2004, Bush answered ``Yes'' when asked whether he would fire anyone who leaked Plame's name.

``He's certainly backing off,'' Gillers said. ``Before it didn't seem to matter whether or not the revelation would be a crime.''
(boldface type added for emphasis)

Nice to know that "if somebody committed a crime" they won't be allowed to work in the administration. You'd think, though, he (Bush) might have set the bar a wee bit higher in terms of behavioral standards. [Roll Eyes]

[ July 18, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is, I would bet even-money that Rove was the one who came up with that particular way to avoid Bush's earlier statement. One little tiny twist, and Bush doesn't have to do squat when it is revealed Rove was the leaker. They will never be able to convict Rove of anything, so he keeps his job.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You'd think, though, he (Bush) might have set the bar a wee bit higher in terms of behavioral standards.

Actually, I'm surprised he even set it THAT high. The way things have been going, half his administration would be out of a job by fall if for a moment I imagined that he were honest enough to actually do what he says. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a few columns on the situation, and few stand out. The vast majority of columnists seem bent on "spinning" things depending on their political orientation.

One local exception to that rule is the Chicago Tribune's John Kass - a conservative columnist who has a habit of sticking with the same standards no matter which side of the political aisle he's talking about.

Here's some bits from his July 13th column: (Note - free registration required for access)

quote:
As catchy political slogans go, "the rule of law" really wasn't ever that catchy, particularly with Democrats.

It was more like the mullet, going the way of spandex and the fanny pack, disappearing into the same fashion garbage bin now waiting for the Paris Hilton look.

But here's a fashion update:

"The rule of law" is about to make a miraculous comeback in the slogan department--just so long as the words "White House political adviser Karl Rove" and "leak" and "CIA officer Valerie Plame" are put in the same sentence.

Because the Bush White House has been insisting all along that Rove did not leak the identity of Plame, whose husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, was critical of the Bush administration's rationale for invading Iraq.

It is illegal for federal officials to leak the identity of covert CIA officers, and ever since Robert Novak used Bush administration sources to identify her in a Sun-Times column, the matter has been under investigation by the special prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, the U.S. attorney from Chicago.

Then, President Bush insisted that he would fire the leaker. Rove insisted it wasn't he, then said Wilson's wife was political "fair game." Lately, his lawyer is doing the Washington shuffle, first stating Rove didn't leak, then later conceding that if Rove talked to reporters, he never "knowingly" leaked Plame's name.

How does someone leak unknowingly? Isn't that embarrassing?

quote:
Yet if the Cooper story is true, if Rove pointed reporters at a CIA spouse, then he should be fired, pending criminal charges.

It was infuriating to read apologists for President Clinton brush off perjury as merely some involuntary response to biological forces, without regard to the long-term damage being done to the law.

Before becoming president, George Bush stood at the 2000 Republican National Convention in Philadelphia and said that the "the rule of law" still had currency.

Such currency may be as unfashionable as the mullet, Mr. President.

But it's time to spend it.

I admit to being a regular reader of Kass's. Sometimes he really annoys me. His standards of right and wrong tend to be nonpartisan, to the annoyance of elected Republicans and Democrats in Illinois.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange how once again the CORE of this subject is the fact that the White House wanted everyone to believe that Saddam Hussien had nuclear weapons and a ocean of Chemical weapons, and that Mr. Plaim tried to contridict the White House, and his wife got out-ed.

I believe Mr. Plaim was saying that the White House was trumping up the charges to justify an invasion of Iraq. So the White House took revenge.

Once again, a reminder that there were NO Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq.

The Bush Administrations case was 100% false.
Rove outted a CIA agent.

...who cares right? It's not as GRAVE as lying about a blowjob underoath, right?

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Politics as usual. After villifying the media, most politicians became bulletproof. While I'd like to see someone pay for this, the chances are that there will be a media flurry, a bit of hand-wringing and then... nothing.

Politicians have learned to let the media make the stir and have a tempest in a teacup. They then make their speeches and evasive explainations, hand it over to the pundits and let it become fully politicized. They then hunker down and wait for it to blow over and then go on about their business.

Once upon a time, politician Huey P. Long exclaimed that the only way he couldn't win an election was if he were found in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. Huey would be proud of his political progeny.

Bulletproof, and they know it. Rove boasted of manipulating the voting by pushing the gay marriage and Ten Commandments issues last time around (and did it while being interviewed on Fox News). And he did it smugly to the point where even the Fox pundits were a bit taken aback. But there was no fall out then.

He won't be punished this time. Or the next.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.